Poll: Is there any chance that there exists an agent which can have intent with respect to the cosmos?
Yes. The evidence is....
No, don't be absurd
Maybe, I think both options are equally likely
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Cosmic intent or Cosmic event?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2015, 04:11 PM
RE: Cosmic intent or Cosmic event?
(13-08-2015 02:35 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 06:07 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I see the confusion, Grasshopper is reading the thread's title as the question for the poll instead of the separate question.

The same confusion exists in the question as worded in your text. It's like asking someone "Are you male or female?" and then the choices are yes or no. It's not a yes/no question.

Actually, I am pretty sure the answer to that question is always yes.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
13-08-2015, 06:10 PM
Cosmic intent is apparent to me personally. Everything has a path that it follows except for humans. Everything. Thanks.
13-08-2015, 06:11 PM
(13-08-2015 12:46 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 02:03 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  At least one theist on this forum has levied the claim that there exists something that can have intent with respect to the cosmos. I'd like to see the evidence and argument for this.

An intention is something that one intends to do or bring about. It is not something destined to happen.

The wolf has a particular form. Was that form destined to manifest itself or did that form come into existence because it was intended in the first place? Well the wolf form evolved at least twice on this planet. The following are the bones of a marsupial wolf and a grey wolf. Can you tell them apart with out looking at the labels?

[Image: Beutelwolf_fg01.jpg]

Did the our system of evolution intend to produce this form or was it destined to emerge? If it was destined to emerge what does that say about humans? Were humans also destined to emerge too?
Yes.
13-08-2015, 06:12 PM
(13-08-2015 06:55 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 06:54 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Imma agent that exists with intent. Tongue

Fucking literalists Drinking Beverage
Exactly, minus the f-ing, of course. Thanks.
13-08-2015, 08:58 PM
(12-08-2015 02:03 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  At least one theist on this forum has levied the claim that there exists something that can have intent with respect to the cosmos. I'd like to see the evidence and argument for this.

In the meantime, a poll. Is the universe the result of cosmic intent or the result of a series of parameters producing an event?

It is the result of a series of indeterminate parameters producing a determined event. It is order coming from chaos, which forms a time-line, which will destabilize back to chaos, and then the time-line will end.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
14-08-2015, 06:34 AM
(13-08-2015 06:11 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 12:46 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  An intention is something that one intends to do or bring about. It is not something destined to happen.

The wolf has a particular form. Was that form destined to manifest itself or did that form come into existence because it was intended in the first place? Well the wolf form evolved at least twice on this planet. The following are the bones of a marsupial wolf and a grey wolf. Can you tell them apart with out looking at the labels?

Did the our system of evolution intend to produce this form or was it destined to emerge? If it was destined to emerge what does that say about humans? Were humans also destined to emerge too?
Yes.

No.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-08-2015, 06:36 AM (This post was last modified: 14-08-2015 07:09 AM by Chas.)
(13-08-2015 12:46 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

An intention is something that one intends to do or bring about. It is not something destined to happen.

What an utterly bizarre interpretation of convergent evolution. Consider

Natural selection explains the same kinds of adaptations survive in the presence of the same kinds of problems.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-08-2015, 06:55 AM
(13-08-2015 06:12 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 06:55 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Fucking literalists Drinking Beverage
Exactly, minus the f-ing, of course. Thanks.

That might explain a lot

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post