Cosmological musings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2015, 07:55 AM
RE: Cosmological musings
I think you're crazier than I am, that's my thought. Tongue

(20-09-2015 10:04 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  Rather than trying to wrap our brains around the concept of something being infinite, the truth is that "nothing" is infinite

I've seen that before, looking at the spaces between things. Came to the conclusion that where there is thingness, there is one thing; where there is nothingness, there is infinite nothing. Which leads to a problem with this whole conjecture. The one thing of thingness is universe. When I read from "more official" sources about what is beyond the universe, I read how things like causal projections are used to "limit" the size of the "universe;" see causal diamond here. Another limit would be universal expansion which implies what is seen today may not be visible tomorrow.

So the "violetshift," I don't know what that is.

The ISM reeks of aether which comes around like the seasons, with different names and forms. And what would be the difference between between this medium between stars and between universes?

My problem which you probably discovered is that in exploring the least bit of these types of conjectures one realizes the gaps in one's education and thus how much work, time and effort, it would take to flesh out these conjectures into a coherent hypothesis. So rather being exhilarating I tend to think of them as depressing and exhausting.

Unless you're having visions. Which are fun, but that way lies madness. Out of all this neck I've just posted, that's the only thing of which I'm certain. Big Grin

Oh, and since this is the science section...
[Image: H48F4mY.jpg]

Big Grin

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
22-09-2015, 08:24 AM
(22-09-2015 07:55 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I think you're crazier than I am, that's my thought. Tongue

(20-09-2015 10:04 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  Rather than trying to wrap our brains around the concept of something being infinite, the truth is that "nothing" is infinite

I've seen that before, looking at the spaces between things. Came to the conclusion that where there is thingness, there is one thing; where there is nothingness, there is infinite nothing. Which leads to a problem with this whole conjecture. The one thing of thingness is universe. When I read from "more official" sources about what is beyond the universe, I read how things like causal projections are used to "limit" the size of the "universe;" see causal diamond here. Another limit would be universal expansion which implies what is seen today may not be visible tomorrow.

So the "violetshift," I don't know what that is.

The ISM reeks of aether which comes around like the seasons, with different names and forms. And what would be the difference between between this medium between stars and between universes?

My problem which you probably discovered is that in exploring the least bit of these types of conjectures one realizes the gaps in one's education and thus how much work, time and effort, it would take to flesh out these conjectures into a coherent hypothesis. So rather being exhilarating I tend to think of them as depressing and exhausting.

Unless you're having visions. Which are fun, but that way lies madness. Out of all this neck I've just posted, that's the only thing of which I'm certain. Big Grin

Oh, and since this is the science section...
[Image: H48F4mY.jpg]

Big Grin

This is payback for the Gwynnies isn't it? Laugh out load

I recognize my own educational gaps in fleshing this out but I don't find it depressing or exhausting but rather an exciting opportunity to learn!

I have found myself going back and forth between Khan Academy and the MIT free courseware to learn more about physics, astrophysics, quantum mechanics, astronomy and cosmology. It's incredibly fascinating and I wish I could turn back time and reshape my former education to be working in this field!

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
[+] 2 users Like Octapulse's post
22-09-2015, 08:43 AM
(22-09-2015 08:24 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  This is payback for the Gwynnies isn't it? Laugh out load

Laugh out load

Nah, it's assistance man. You wrote about things that I have learned are defined in a certain manner and then you say - this goes with that, and that with this - and my brain goes Hobo

So when I first read it, I just kept going. If we were to get together and pass the bong, we could have musings, but here, the stupid brain goes off to google-fu shit. I couldn't explain right away my problems with your conjecture so when I had time, I did just that.

Even the meme. Which points to, as far as I understand it, when the eggheads talk about more than one universe they're talking in maths. Trying to visualize these things just by holding them in one's head - is maddening - trust the madman on that. Laugh out load

But you're doing it right with the independent study and stuff. And keep tossing 'em out here, or on other forums, other curious people may take a swipe at them and toss 'em back; further honing the conjecture into utility. Thumbsup

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
22-09-2015, 08:46 AM
(22-09-2015 07:55 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  So the "violetshift," I don't know what that is.

He explains violet shift in this video about red shift

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
[+] 1 user Likes Octapulse's post
22-09-2015, 09:18 AM
I knew that part. There was a confusion in terms which is why I put violetshift in scare quotes. I understand "other universes" (well, I don't, but...) in terms of "causal diamonds" and "light cones" (those are in scare quotes cause I can't explain 'em to a six year old kinda thing so I don't really understand them, either Laugh out load ) so it read to me that somehow violetshift allowed light to get out of its lightcone.

living word
22-09-2015, 11:16 AM
(22-09-2015 04:54 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  It could be vastly older and have the necessary time for it's light to reach us
It's not about time, its about distance and the fact that space is expanding. From far enough away, light will never reach us because the total distance is growing quicker than light can travel. The light will never reach us and we can thus not measure any spectrum shift.
Find all posts by this user
22-09-2015, 11:42 AM
(22-09-2015 11:16 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(22-09-2015 04:54 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  It could be vastly older and have the necessary time for it's light to reach us
It's not about time, its about distance and the fact that space is expanding. From far enough away, light will never reach us because the total distance is growing quicker than light can travel.

Doesn't that violate the universal speed limit that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light? I know that this constant has been recently challenged as neutrinos have been observed travelling faster, but we aren't talking sub-atomic particles but rather talking about large articles of mass.

23-09-2015, 01:56 PM
(22-09-2015 11:42 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  
(22-09-2015 11:16 AM)Stevil Wrote:  It's not about time, its about distance and the fact that space is expanding. From far enough away, light will never reach us because the total distance is growing quicker than light can travel.

Doesn't that violate the universal speed limit that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light? I know that this constant has been recently challenged as neutrinos have been observed travelling faster, but we aren't talking sub-atomic particles but rather talking about large articles of mass.
No, no-one is talking about things traveling faster than light.
Space itself is expanding. That's why it appears as if more distant objects are traveling faster away from us than closer objects. That's why they are accelerating away.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
24-09-2015, 08:45 AM
(23-09-2015 01:56 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(22-09-2015 11:42 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  Doesn't that violate the universal speed limit that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light? I know that this constant has been recently challenged as neutrinos have been observed travelling faster, but we aren't talking sub-atomic particles but rather talking about large articles of mass.
No, no-one is talking about things traveling faster than light.
Space itself is expanding. That's why it appears as if more distant objects are traveling faster away from us than closer objects. That's why they are accelerating away.

Then would it be reasonable to conclude that any photons coming toward us will appear to be traveling faster because celestial matter is moving in the opposite direction (think of two cars passing each other in opposite directions)? The expansion of the universe shouldn't make it more difficult for light from another universe to reach us. If we could pause the photons from the other universe will still allowing our universe to expand, the distance from the photon to our location would not change at all.

24-09-2015, 08:59 AM
(24-09-2015 08:45 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  
(23-09-2015 01:56 PM)Stevil Wrote:  No, no-one is talking about things traveling faster than light.

Then would it be reasonable to conclude that any photons coming toward us will appear to be traveling faster because celestial matter is moving in the opposite direction (think of two cars passing each other in opposite directions)?

They're moving with the underlying metric. The speed of light is constant for all observers. That's what defines the visible horizon of the universe.

Those are the kind of thought experiments used to demonstrate the precepts of relativity.
(except traditionally it's trains, because 1920s)

(24-09-2015 08:45 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  The expansion of the universe shouldn't make it more difficult for light from another universe to reach us. If we could pause the photons from the other universe will still allowing our universe to expand, the distance from the photon to our location would not change at all.

I'm not clear, from reading the thread, just what you mean by "universe".

... this is my signature!