Cosmos: TONIGHT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2014, 07:30 AM
RE: Cosmos: TONIGHT
(10-03-2014 07:20 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 07:06 AM)Logisch Wrote:  I loved it, I thought it was great. I set my DVR for the series, can't wait!

Well, I didn't dislike it; I just think it could have been a whole lot better.

I think it was just meant to be an overview of what the series is going to cover. It briefly touched on a lot of topics and I am guessing each topic will have an entire show devoted to it during the run. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to more.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
10-03-2014, 08:53 AM
http://www.hulu.com/cosmos-a-spacetime-odyssey

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
10-03-2014, 09:34 AM
I only watched the first 15 minutes (DVR'd the rest) but I was a little disappointed in the lack of content. I'll watch the rest tonight.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
10-03-2014, 09:43 AM
shhhhhh

I missed it. Sad

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

10-03-2014, 09:44 AM
I think the target audience for this show isn't the same folks who watched it 30 years ago. I think the target audience is a younger generation that they are trying to excite about science & space, and then the general public (with the same attention span of a gnat's).

either way- I think the visuals were beautiful. I wanted to watch it on an IMAX screen.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
10-03-2014, 11:56 AM
(10-03-2014 07:30 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 07:20 AM)Chas Wrote:  Well, I didn't dislike it; I just think it could have been a whole lot better.

I think it was just meant to be an overview of what the series is going to cover. It briefly touched on a lot of topics and I am guessing each topic will have an entire show devoted to it during the run. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to more.

I'm looking forward to the more in depth episodes. The first one wasn't bad, but I agree with Chas. It could have been done better. If I didn't have an interest in this stuff beforehand, it really wouldn't have grabbed my attention.

Was it just me or did anyone else not get the sense of wonder and excitement from NdT that we're used to seeing in him? I hear these words from him and I get chills to this day.

I watched the show last night and was a bit bummed that it didn't have that sense of childlike amazement to it. NdT seemed like he was just an actor being paid to read lines, not some rockstar astronomer who gets excited by black holes and dark energy.

I'm holding off final judgement for a few more episodes. The first was basic and introductory to hook people who don't already know about this stuff, but if they gloss over and dumb down stuff too much, it will be unwatchable. And that will make me very sad.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
10-03-2014, 01:16 PM
(10-03-2014 08:53 AM)Logisch Wrote:  http://www.hulu.com/cosmos-a-spacetime-odyssey

Yay! I can watch it now! Well, tonight at least. Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
10-03-2014, 01:51 PM
It was everything I wanted it to be. I almost cried at the end.

I'm back btw. Wink

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
10-03-2014, 02:06 PM
(10-03-2014 09:34 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  I only watched the first 15 minutes (DVR'd the rest) but I was a little disappointed in the lack of content. I'll watch the rest tonight.

As I was watching the episode I was thinking this same thing, but then I realized this was an homage to the first-ever Cosmos episode. I watched the first episode during a marathon on NatGeo that led up to this reboot, and Episode 1 had a LOT of the same components,
including the calendar of time, the Ship of the Imagination, which will be a mainstay like the old show, and of course the moments dedicated to Carl. His widow is one of the executive producers and she wrote this first episode so that's a good thing, but eventually I think NDT will take over the writing and producing and that is when his passion will emerge.

I can't wait till they dedicate entire episodes to one theme. This first episode was forced to squeeze in a lot at once to attract as many viewers as possible, hence the references to

Moses, Jesus and Mo, which pissed me off a little, but as long as it gets young minds to watch and maybe get into science then it's a small price to pay.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-03-2014, 02:41 PM
We get it on Sunday here in the UK....I might try to find a torrent copy.

Using Tapatalk