Cosmos: TONIGHT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2014, 04:52 PM
RE: Cosmos: TONIGHT
(10-03-2014 07:30 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 07:20 AM)Chas Wrote:  Well, I didn't dislike it; I just think it could have been a whole lot better.

I think it was just meant to be an overview of what the series is going to cover. It briefly touched on a lot of topics and I am guessing each topic will have an entire show devoted to it during the run. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to more.

I agree, I hope they go into a lot more detail. I watched with my husband who'd I call a "deist" if anything. He's never learned much about the universe, and how our system came to be. Touching so briefly on so many mind boggling ideas left him more confused and with a lot of questions I couldn't answer. I'd bet a lot of people are like him. If that is true, they'll have to do better, but for me, I enjoyed it.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2014, 05:40 PM
OH BRAVE NEW WORLD.

So I went to the trouble of lying to hulu about where my internet connection originates.

Before the video they gave me the choice of which ad to watch. What a time to be alive.

... this is my signature!
10-03-2014, 09:53 PM
I liked that they went right after the church with the caricatured evil animated priests, though the Bruno segment was odd given that he was a theologian and not a scientist. I also don't think you want Obama to introduce the series if you're going for a broad audience. Hopefully more focused episodes will improve the delivery.

Oh well, most devoted theists won't watch it anyway. Too busy watching Resurrection.
10-03-2014, 09:54 PM
I loved it. I've been waiting a long time to see this and it was well worth the wait.

However, I was informed earlier that my father did not like it because it told the story from an atheist perspective. I had to bite my tongue. I can't say I am surprised. Despite the overwhelming evidence they continue to use the bible as evidence of this fairy tale.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-03-2014, 09:06 AM
I have Carl Sagan's Cosmos on DVD which I love. But I do like Neil deGrasse Tyson so I hope it gets an airing in the UK at some point.

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
11-03-2014, 10:31 AM
I watched it again yesterday with my 10 year daughter. It was so cool to watch her brain get all twisted when he put the universe in a bubble, then showed lots of bubbles.

The expression on her face was priceless.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
11-03-2014, 10:41 AM
I liked it. Smile I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
11-03-2014, 11:01 AM
It was decent. I can understand why some people didn't like the choppy introduction. I'm sure they will expand on certain ideas in future episodes.
11-03-2014, 01:55 PM
(10-03-2014 07:30 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 07:20 AM)Chas Wrote:  Well, I didn't dislike it; I just think it could have been a whole lot better.

I think it was just meant to be an overview of what the series is going to cover. It briefly touched on a lot of topics and I am guessing each topic will have an entire show devoted to it during the run. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to more.

I hope you are right.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
11-03-2014, 02:16 PM
I watched it with my 17 year old last night. I liked it, but I also hope future episodes will be better focused. After it was over, my kid asked if there was a reason they dumbed everything down that way.

The whole bit on Bruno really ruined a big chunk of it for me. Spent WAY too much time on him, and I'm not a fan of that style of animation. Overall, I approve, but more science less story telling please!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post