Cosmos: TONIGHT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2014, 02:22 PM
RE: Cosmos: TONIGHT
(11-03-2014 02:16 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I watched it with my 17 year old last night. I liked it, but I also hope future episodes will be better focused. After it was over, my kid asked if there was a reason they dumbed everything down that way.

The whole bit on Bruno really ruined a big chunk of it for me. Spent WAY too much time on him, and I'm not a fan of that style of animation. Overall, I approve, but more science less story telling please!

The original was loaded with anecdotal stories and history.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
12-03-2014, 06:44 AM
Watched the whole thing. Personally I thought the Bruno thing was (1) too long and (2) blatantly anti-church. Starting off the series with such an extended attack on the church may turn some viewers off immediately before they get to see all the good stuff that could expand their mind. Assuming it was historically accurate, they might as well have put horns and fangs on the inquisition panel.

I agree with the message just not the delivery in episode 1.

I thought the cosmic calendar was well done as well as the Sagan Diary entry bit.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
Find all posts by this user
12-03-2014, 06:46 AM
Cool first episode is already on torrents in HD quality.
12-03-2014, 08:26 AM
(12-03-2014 06:44 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Watched the whole thing. Personally I thought the Bruno thing was (1) too long and (2) blatantly anti-church. Starting off the series with such an extended attack on the church may turn some viewers off immediately before they get to see all the good stuff that could expand their mind. Assuming it was historically accurate, they might as well have put horns and fangs on the inquisition panel.

I agree with the message just not the delivery in episode 1.

I thought the cosmic calendar was well done as well as the Sagan Diary entry bit.

I'm pretty sure everybody considers the inquisition a bad idea, all in all. So I don't think telling that history was really anti-church. As a matter of fact, I think the way Bruno was portrayed was a really nice way to break down the barriers between science and belief in god.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 2 users Like Colourcraze's post
12-03-2014, 08:39 AM
Re: Cosmos: TONIGHT
I liked it but definitely an intro episode, I liked several reoccurring bits from Sagans.

I'm glad the shows on primetime, but I think I may need to curl my expectations. I don't forsee it being NovaScience level on all episodes but I think it'll have some quality indepth exploration episodes

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
12-03-2014, 08:55 AM
I just hope it's translated into English by the time I get to watch it.

It's Cos-moss not Cuz-mow-z

12-03-2014, 09:17 AM
(12-03-2014 08:55 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I just hope it's translated into English by the time I get to watch it.

It's Cos-moss not Cuz-mow-z

I think you'll find it's κόσμος.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
13-03-2014, 04:44 PM
I finally got around to watching it.

I have to say, it's impressive. It's all I was expecting, and more.

It didn't bother me that it was a bit general, disjointed or "dumbed down".
It was obviously an introduction and not meant solely for people like us who have had our fair share of scientific discourse and terminology.

I would like to be able to show it to people not familiar with science or children without making them feel dumb for not understanding some things. Even I learned some things I had never heard of. In the original, Sagan is seen praising a kid in a classroom for asking something we all know and take for granted. I'm sure he would have approved of this easily approachable method.

I also didn't mind it that the Bruno story was so long. It made a great point. And if you are bothered by long (to the point of almost missing the point) storytelling, you obviously haven't watched/didn't like the original by Sagan.

And I see people in here finding it "too Christian" or "too anti-Christian". I think it was just right. I guess it's a matter of expectations, but they obviously did not make all this only for the average scientifically literate atheist. Which is good.

Extra points for the awesome effects and the Neil meets Carl moment.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
13-03-2014, 04:58 PM
[Image: 1620352_715464978497714_1991625818_n.jpg]

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 5 users Like nach_in's post
16-03-2014, 05:25 AM
Not available outside of the US. Yay America...
This is why we hate you.

Oh well, luckily torrents are a thing. Oh what's that Fox, you don't appreciate me illegally pirating your show?
How about you remove your head from your rectum and insert a cactus up there instead mmk.

[Image: oscar.png]