Cosmos: TONIGHT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2014, 11:27 AM
RE: Cosmos: TONIGHT
(17-03-2014 11:03 AM)proplayer44 Wrote:  
(16-03-2014 05:25 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Not available outside of the US. Yay America...
This is why we hate you.

I know I'm quoting you, but don't quote me Smile I might be wrong. In Canada and perhaps in your country, when content is blocked (In my case Hulu or American version of Netflix), it's not blocked by the Americans. It's blocked by Canada. We have content rules which require 30% of the content to be Canadian. So Hulu for example doesn't sell to Canada and don't care about our rules. Therefore the Canadian Gov mandates it be blocked not the US. Same with the video content on abc.com or NBC or Fox and more notably Jon Stewart on Comedy Central. But I can see John Stewart on the Canadian Comedy Network.com.

I'm a Canadian, but applying the content law to the internet is just fucking wrong.

There is no justification that stands up.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Re: RE: Cosmos: TONIGHT
(17-03-2014 10:07 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(17-03-2014 09:17 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Had you not seen him before? I've been in awe of him since I first heard him speak.

If you haven't heard him passionately explain something or defend science, you and YouTube need to set aside a few hundred hours and watch his talks and debates.

Yes, I have seen him before. I was teetering on fawning adoration and worship, but Cosmos pushed me over the brink. Big Grin

It was him and that stick of fire that melted your insides wasn't it?

I've loved Neil back to 05 or whenever I first saw him on Nova I'm my astronomy classes. His podcast is great stuff too.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
18-03-2014, 03:49 PM
I watched the first episode this evening......wonderful. Loved every minute. The Carl Sagan diary thing had me tearing up!

Using Tapatalk
18-03-2014, 11:52 PM
It is now available on their website:
http://www.cosmosontv.com/watch/183733315515

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
19-03-2014, 04:19 AM
It bothers me that they kind of gloss over a lot of things, it's kind of made for noobs :/

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
19-03-2014, 05:42 AM
(19-03-2014 04:19 AM)nach_in Wrote:  It bothers me that they kind of gloss over a lot of things, it's kind of made for noobs :/

The original was made for noobs too. It's good to have such great series to show to kids or people who aren't familiar with science.

And by the way, I watched the episode with two people last night. I knew 80% of what was mentioned, another person knew about 70% and the third only knew probably 10-20%.

It was balanced enough for all of us.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 6 users Like undergroundp's post
19-03-2014, 06:08 AM
(19-03-2014 05:42 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(19-03-2014 04:19 AM)nach_in Wrote:  It bothers me that they kind of gloss over a lot of things, it's kind of made for noobs :/

The original was made for noobs too. It's good to have such great series to show to kids or people who aren't familiar with science.

And by the way, I watched the episode with two people last night. I knew 80% of what was mentioned, another person knew about 70% and the third only knew probably 10-20%.

10-20% of the last episode? Shocking

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
19-03-2014, 07:09 AM
(19-03-2014 06:08 AM)nach_in Wrote:  
(19-03-2014 05:42 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  The original was made for noobs too. It's good to have such great series to show to kids or people who aren't familiar with science.

The lowest common denominator in the US is pretty low. Alas.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
19-03-2014, 07:45 AM
Idiots react to Cosmos:

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
[+] 4 users Like Eva's post
19-03-2014, 07:57 AM
(19-03-2014 06:08 AM)nach_in Wrote:  
(19-03-2014 05:42 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  The original was made for noobs too. It's good to have such great series to show to kids or people who aren't familiar with science.

Yeap, there are people like that too Tongue
I like in a small town of 50.000 people where 30 years ago, half of the of the streets were dirt roads. People over 50 are usually not very educated, unfortunately.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-