Cosmos: TONIGHT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2014, 09:25 AM
RE: Cosmos: TONIGHT
I introduced the subject on the christian forum but it quickly descended into chaos.

They're arguing amongst themselves for now until I go back and stir them up again.

http://www.christianforumsite.com/index....ads/37456/
Did Anyone Watch Cosmos?

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TubbyTubby's post
19-03-2014, 10:58 AM
(19-03-2014 09:25 AM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  I introduced the subject on the christian forum but it quickly descended into chaos.

They're arguing amongst themselves for now until I go back and stir them up again.

Did Anyone Watch Cosmos?

Facepalm Wow. Reading their replies is painful, but not surprising. It's funny how that one poster believes that science is still catching up to the bible. "Circle of Earth" my ass. Genesis clearly describes Earth as land separating the water below from the water above, with a sky dome. Besides, a circle is two-dimensional (i.e.: flat); Earth is spherical (with an equatorial bulge).
"In the beginning dog created the heavens and the Earth." Our solar system is 4.5 billion years old. The universe is three times that. If I were 20 years old, I would not claim to be born at the same time as someone who's 60. Duh.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
Find all posts by this user
19-03-2014, 11:50 AM
(19-03-2014 07:57 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(19-03-2014 06:08 AM)nach_in Wrote:  10-20% of the last episode? Shocking

Yeap, there are people like that too Tongue
I like in a small town of 50.000 people where 30 years ago, half of the of the streets were dirt roads. People over 50 are usually not very educated, unfortunately.

50,000 is a large city! Try less than 700 people - which, coincidently, is about the same number of teeth in the entire place, too.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
19-03-2014, 01:00 PM
(19-03-2014 09:25 AM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  I introduced the subject on the christian forum but it quickly descended into chaos.

Did Anyone Watch Cosmos?

They're really stuck on the Big Bang thing. I don't know why it's so incredible to them: it's their creation story.

"Fiat!" *Universe from nothing*

But, at least they're watching.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
19-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Yes, that particular concept is causing much consternation for them.

I've just had a scan through and they're still arguing amongst themselves without me so I'll leave them be for a while. Even a threat to close the thread!

I've also had a PM from the site from someone who says he/she does not 'definitively' believe in genesis but wants to talk with me privately about it. Describes him/herself as a having a background in literary criticism. Think I may have got myself a mentor!

I need a break from there though for a while, difficult to keep an objective politeness for extended periods.

Using Tapatalk
19-03-2014, 03:02 PM
(12-03-2014 06:44 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Assuming it was historically accurate...

Not exactly... some kerfuffle showed up on my fb, and the link given is the pick of the litter.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
19-03-2014, 03:04 PM
(19-03-2014 01:00 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  They're really stuck on the Big Bang thing. I don't know why it's so incredible to them: it's their creation story.

"Fiat!" *Universe from nothing*

But, at least they're watching.

That's actually very important. Most people don't suddenly have an epiphany and decide that God is irrational. They have to go through small steps, their brain needs to do the work step by step, collect information, make the right connections, reach a conclusion.

If a single thing Neil says stays in their brain, it might as well contribute to a future conversion.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 4 users Like undergroundp's post
19-03-2014, 03:20 PM
My thread there has been closed. I'm a bit miffed that it wasn't through my own doing though.

Using Tapatalk
19-03-2014, 03:29 PM
That's the reason I said Cosmos was a wonderful display of how science explores God's Creation. Christianity has a long history of silencing dissenters.

The whole rejection of expertise social movement is particularly disturbing, because now that you can look up anything on the internet, and social media learns your preferences for what you want to be exposed to and what you want to avoid, people develop the idea that they can become experts in fields they have little to no experience with, and confirmation bias from not only their peers but the very media they consume support it.

People choosing to believe there is a guiding force for good driving the universe, guiding evolution and that science is the best method for understanding God was at one time becoming a dominant worldview within Christianity, and far preferable to the rise of reality-revisionist fundamentalism.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
19-03-2014, 07:00 PM
(19-03-2014 10:58 AM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  

Did Anyone Watch Cosmos?

Facepalm Wow. Reading their replies is painful, but not surprising. It's funny how that one poster believes that science is still catching up to the bible. "Circle of Earth" my ass. Genesis clearly describes Earth as land separating the water below from the water above, with a sky dome. Besides, a circle is two-dimensional (i.e.: flat); Earth is spherical (with an equatorial bulge).
"In the beginning dog created the heavens and the Earth." Our solar system is 4.5 billion years old. The universe is three times that. If I were 20 years old, I would not claim to be born at the same time as someone who's 60. Duh.

I find it highly entertaining that they interpret it as somehow being lined up with science when literally no one back then thought about the shit that exists the way it does today.... as if somehow a bunch of smelly sheep herders had any fucking clue who wrote the shitty stories. Facepalm

"Yeah no the authors of the bible knew this already." Yeahhhhhhhhh ok.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.