Cosmos: TONIGHT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2014, 10:37 PM
RE: Cosmos: TONIGHT
(23-03-2014 10:35 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  So far, liking tonight's episode better than the first two.

Loved the toast line.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
23-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Yeah, they really aren't letting religion off the hook!

They aren't attacking it, but they aren't giving it any quarter either.

Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
24-03-2014, 07:39 AM
(23-03-2014 10:45 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Yeah, they really aren't letting religion off the hook!

Yep. I dig that they don't pick apart any specific ideology but rather compare the failed progress of it to the progress of ideas and science. I thought the story on newton was absolutely fantastic by the way.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
24-03-2014, 07:54 AM
(24-03-2014 07:39 AM)Logisch Wrote:  
(23-03-2014 10:45 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Yeah, they really aren't letting religion off the hook!

Yep. I dig that they don't pick apart any specific ideology but rather compare the failed progress of it to the progress of ideas and science. I thought the story on newton was absolutely fantastic by the way.

Agreed, and it's awesome to see they have the type of budget to hire Cary Elwes to voice Edmond Halley and Robert Hooke.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
24-03-2014, 08:12 AM
(24-03-2014 07:54 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(24-03-2014 07:39 AM)Logisch Wrote:  Yep. I dig that they don't pick apart any specific ideology but rather compare the failed progress of it to the progress of ideas and science. I thought the story on newton was absolutely fantastic by the way.

Agreed, and it's awesome to see they have the type of budget to hire Cary Elwes to voice Edmond Halley and Robert Hooke.

Yes, so far, I'm loving it!

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
24-03-2014, 08:28 AM

I LOVE it and its making my 'believer' husband uncomfortable. His parents are YEC'ers. They way they are bringing religion up and being very direct without being offensive is perfect. After the first episode, my husband made some remark about how things are dated, and its not always correct and the usual blah, blah, blah. I offered a bit of a counter argument to him saying that I was pretty confident that Neil has studied this in depth and knows his shit, and if he says its a billion years old...then its a billion years old. NDT has spent his entire life studying it, is regarded as top in his field, he has the credentials and experience, and I could probably google more evidence if he needed it. Hubby dropped the subject.

This week the kids were on spring break, we went many places, but one stop was the NC Natural Science Museum and my husband was reading every.single.word of the displays in the section about the universe/earth/dinosaurs .

I don't know if he's doubting, or looking for straws to grab on to, but its rattled his cage which is a good thing. He watches every episode very intently, as do I and the kids. Every episode becomes interesting in more ways than one in this house.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 6 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
24-03-2014, 08:57 AM
(24-03-2014 08:28 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I LOVE it and its making my 'believer' husband uncomfortable. His parents are YEC'ers. They way they are bringing religion up and being very direct without being offensive is perfect. After the first episode, my husband made some remark about how things are dated, and its not always correct and the usual blah, blah, blah. I offered a bit of a counter argument to him saying that I was pretty confident that Neil has studied this in depth and knows his shit, and if he says its a billion years old...then its a billion years old. NDT has spent his entire life studying it, is regarded as top in his field, he has the credentials and experience, and I could probably google more evidence if he needed it. Hubby dropped the subject.

This week the kids were on spring break, we went many places, but one stop was the NC Natural Science Museum and my husband was reading every.single.word of the displays in the section about the universe/earth/dinosaurs .

I don't know if he's doubting, or looking for straws to grab on to, but its rattled his cage which is a good thing. He watches every episode very intently, as do I and the kids. Every episode becomes interesting in more ways than one in this house.

Though I find that the show is doing a good job at not being offensive toward the religious, theist will still take offence, just because that is what theist do...

Your last post made me think of this quote by Louis C.K.

"Offending people is a necessary and healthy act. Every time you say something that's offensive to another person, you just caused a discussion. You just forced them to have to think."
~Louis C.K.

24-03-2014, 09:19 AM
(24-03-2014 08:57 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Your last post made me think of this quote by Louis C.K.

"Offending people is a necessary and healthy act. Every time you say something that's offensive to another person, you just caused a discussion. You just forced them to have to think."
~Louis C.K.

that is exactly it. It's forcing him to think. And I think this might be the first time he's had to and he's getting uncomfortable......which he needed. Not sure if he will be able to handle 10 more episodes without going Hobo

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
24-03-2014, 01:29 PM
The thing I really liked about last night’s episode is that I have this coworker who believes the bible literally, is fixated on “end-times”, and as such believes that the stars were placed in the sky as signs, because of the passages below, among others, and because of all the nonsense found in the book of revelation.

Genesis 1:14
New International Version (NIV)
14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years,

Luke 21:25
New International Version (NIV)
25 “There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea.

She often says that the stars in the night’s sky were put there by “God” for signs of the “end-times” and coming rapture. Every comet, every CME, every meteor that explodes in the Earth’s atmosphere, even the phases of the moon and when they are full or not, she believes is a sign and has meaning, though she can never quite say what that sign is or means.
Last night’s episode

I loved this last episode because it did such a perfect job of illustrating, (literally) how early, pattern seeking hunter and gatherer human beings, not realizing that the patterns they see in the night time sky matched seasonal patterns on the earth for the exact same reason, the tilt of the earth. They were correct, it wasn’t coincidence that what they saw in the sky timed up with what they saw on the earth , but it was not divine, just axial tilt.

It showed the nonsense of thinking what we see in the night’s sky is a “sign” of anything. If we can make any seasonal predictions based on the location of the stars it’s because of the axial tilt of the Earth. Something our hunter gatherer ancestors did not know, and so they thought what happened up there, had influence or knowledge of what happened on the Earth, creating in their minds a powerful and/or knowledgeable something in the heavens.

It so clearly laid out this fallacy as the simple ignorance of why these seasonal patterns matched up. Something that we easily understand today.

The sad thing is, I watched this thinking if she saw this, it would show her how idiotic it is to believe the stars, moon, sun, and comets are signs of anything. We know what these things are. No one could possibly believe this today. But then I realize that she already knows what the stars are, what comets are, how the seasons work, but she still believes it. That’s the really sad part. It doesn’t really seem to matter the more we understand of how it all works, they still just believe it anyway. I can even convince a fundamentalist that Noah’s Ark was impossible, and they themselves will admit it that it makes no sense, but then they just say, “but I believe it anyway”.

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
24-03-2014, 11:06 PM
Holy fuck balls!!
And I thought episode 2 subtly attacked religion... this episode, episode 3, is blatantly taking a dump on it while it sleeps. And I'm only 6minutres in!

Love it!
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post