Cosmos: TONIGHT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2014, 01:08 PM
RE: Cosmos: TONIGHT
(31-03-2014 12:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-03-2014 07:21 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  nope.
You'll use the same amount of data when streaming and downloading the torrent,the only difference is that streaming requires more bandwith and you can't rewatch it w/o using more data.

In short

downloading movie
pros
-can do overnight
-requires less bandwith
-can rewatch movie

cons
-viruses
-takes space an disk

streaming
pros
-(often)live
-does not use up disk space
-no viruses(corrrect me here)

cons
-cant rewatch
-requires much bandwith

just do what i do.
-Install utorrent on usb by editing the directory it must be installed on (or copy map to USB when already installed)
-go to cyber cafe/internet cafe
-copy folder to someplace on hdd
-go to settings,let start at startup in hidden mode
-select torrent file
-minimize
-come back next week with usb drive,move downloaded file to usb(if you didnt touch the download directory,the file should be located at c:/user/(name user)/downloads on win7)

utorrent has this awsome feature on how you can control the client in the cyber from your home pc,but i never used it

that is what i do

You are evil and will rot in the uttermost depths of hell. Evil_monster

That's why I like you. Smile
[Image: 3snn82.jpg]

remember to leave some of that good ol' slowroasted baby i heard so much about for me

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2014, 06:41 PM
(30-03-2014 08:12 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  "The world can't possibly be just 6,000 years old."

<snort>

ikr, Niel is my new hero. He is slapping religion in the face with a fish over and over and over.
I'm so glad episode 4 is no exception.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
01-04-2014, 03:48 PM

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
[+] 2 users Like Freethought's post
07-04-2014, 09:52 PM
The teabagging of religion continues.
09-04-2014, 01:59 PM
I started watching this series yesterday and there was a thing I wanted to ask. He was talking about the limit of the observable universe and how the universe is still expanding. Then he said something about the light still not reaching us. So I figured, it is not that the universe is expanding, it is that the light is still too far for us to see it. The "expansion" is actually new light coming into our timeline, our present. So, the universe is already there, expanded, but too far away for us to see all it's limits, because the light is still traveling from those distant corners. This then gives us the illusion of the expansion.

Consider

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
09-04-2014, 02:16 PM
(09-04-2014 01:59 PM)Filox Wrote:  I started watching this series yesterday and there was a thing I wanted to ask. He was talking about the limit of the observable universe and how the universe is still expanding. Then he said something about the light still not reaching us. So I figured, it is not that the universe is expanding, it is that the light is still too far for us to see it. The "expansion" is actually new light coming into our timeline, our present. So, the universe is already there, expanded, but too far away for us to see all it's limits, because the light is still traveling from those distant corners. This then gives us the illusion of the expansion.

Consider

All of space is expanding simultaneously.

Think of it this way: you are in a car driving from Las Vegas to Los Angeles at a constant rate of 60 mph. At the same time, the cities move further away from each other because the ground, itself, is expanding, thus making your journey take longer.
Meanwhile, since ALL of the ground is expanding, your cousin driving from Denver to Las Vegas has a longer drive, Uncle Ruprect has a longer drive from L.A. to Portland, and Grandma Bernice just said "Fuck it, I'm staying home."

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 5 users Like Jeffasaurus's post
10-04-2014, 01:38 PM
(09-04-2014 02:16 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 01:59 PM)Filox Wrote:  I started watching this series yesterday and there was a thing I wanted to ask. He was talking about the limit of the observable universe and how the universe is still expanding. Then he said something about the light still not reaching us. So I figured, it is not that the universe is expanding, it is that the light is still too far for us to see it. The "expansion" is actually new light coming into our timeline, our present. So, the universe is already there, expanded, but too far away for us to see all it's limits, because the light is still traveling from those distant corners. This then gives us the illusion of the expansion.

Consider

All of space is expanding simultaneously.

Think of it this way: you are in a car driving from Las Vegas to Los Angeles at a constant rate of 60 mph. At the same time, the cities move further away from each other because the ground, itself, is expanding, thus making your journey take longer.
Meanwhile, since ALL of the ground is expanding, your cousin driving from Denver to Las Vegas has a longer drive, Uncle Ruprect has a longer drive from L.A. to Portland, and Grandma Bernice just said "Fuck it, I'm staying home."

Makes sense...

Drinking Beverage

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
24-04-2014, 03:48 AM
So Episode 7, about lead...

He should have made a metaphor about the "lead poisonning" that comes from reading too much religious scripture Big Grin

I'm saddened though. Not about Cosmos but because of my country (France) where 90% of all vehicles still run on leaded gasoline. The fight will never end.
27-04-2014, 03:44 PM
(24-04-2014 03:48 AM)Thanh Wrote:  So Episode 7, about lead...

He should have made a metaphor about the "lead poisonning" that comes from reading too much religious scripture Big Grin

I'm saddened though. Not about Cosmos but because of my country (France) where 90% of all vehicles still run on leaded gasoline. The fight will never end.

Are you sure about that? Sure older vehicles need other additives but there's no more lead available. source: http://www.senat.fr/rap/l00-261/l00-26163.html
However thinking about it, that might explain quite a lot on some levels of healthcare, especially for medical cases with "unexplained" or "unknown" sources. I haven't seen a single doctor look for traces of lead, after all, that stuff stays in your bones and comes back into your blood once you get osteoporosis. It wouldn't help to know since you cannot get rid of it though. Consider
Link between leaded gasoline and ADHD cases 20-30 years ago too perhaps?

It's sad that you cannot watch the series outside the US, however the firefox addon "HOLA unblocker" does seem to work for me on cosmosontv.com. Other thoughts on getting around it?
27-04-2014, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2014 05:15 PM by Chas.)
Tonight's episode is "Sisters of the Sun" (spotlighting the work of female astronomers). I hope they mention Henrietta Swan Leavitt (from Lancaster, MA).

Her measurements of and insight into Cepheid variables advanced the understanding of the size of the universe. There is an excellent book about her, Miss Leavitt's Stars.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user