Cosmos: TONIGHT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2014, 04:51 PM
RE: Cosmos: TONIGHT
(27-04-2014 03:44 PM)Gornemant Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 03:48 AM)Thanh Wrote:  So Episode 7, about lead...

He should have made a metaphor about the "lead poisonning" that comes from reading too much religious scripture Big Grin

I'm saddened though. Not about Cosmos but because of my country (France) where 90% of all vehicles still run on leaded gasoline. The fight will never end.

Are you sure about that? Sure older vehicles need other additives but there's no more lead available. source: http://www.senat.fr/rap/l00-261/l00-26163.html
However thinking about it, that might explain quite a lot on some levels of healthcare, especially for medical cases with "unexplained" or "unknown" sources. I haven't seen a single doctor look for traces of lead, after all, that stuff stays in your bones and comes back into your blood once you get osteoporosis. It wouldn't help to know since you cannot get rid of it though. Consider
Link between leaded gasoline and ADHD cases 20-30 years ago too perhaps?

It's sad that you cannot watch the series outside the US, however the firefox addon "HOLA unblocker" does seem to work for me on cosmosontv.com. Other thoughts on getting around it?

I can't legally say that you should try to use torrents to get the episodes, nor that you can get it easily on eztv.it
Sorry I can't be of any help Angel

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2014, 07:44 PM
(27-04-2014 04:51 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 03:44 PM)Gornemant Wrote:  Are you sure about that? Sure older vehicles need other additives but there's no more lead available. source: http://www.senat.fr/rap/l00-261/l00-26163.html
However thinking about it, that might explain quite a lot on some levels of healthcare, especially for medical cases with "unexplained" or "unknown" sources. I haven't seen a single doctor look for traces of lead, after all, that stuff stays in your bones and comes back into your blood once you get osteoporosis. It wouldn't help to know since you cannot get rid of it though. Consider
Link between leaded gasoline and ADHD cases 20-30 years ago too perhaps?

It's sad that you cannot watch the series outside the US, however the firefox addon "HOLA unblocker" does seem to work for me on cosmosontv.com. Other thoughts on getting around it?

I can't legally say that you should try to use torrents to get the episodes, nor that you can get it easily on eztv.it
Sorry I can't be of any help Angel

did i mention that since you couldnt say it,i had to search and i found dem episodes on eztv,so i shouldn't thank you?

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
27-04-2014, 08:06 PM
Awful lot of time dedicated to lead contamination, Cosmos is starting to feel like an individuals self indulgence on pet topics.
I still love it, but would rather it cover as many areas as possible, to the widest audience.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
27-04-2014, 08:21 PM
(27-04-2014 08:06 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Awful lot of time dedicated to lead contamination, Cosmos is starting to feel like an individuals self indulgence on pet topics.
I still love it, but would rather it cover as many areas as possible, to the widest audience.

I got that impression too. Was thinking "for a science show supposedly dedicated to education, this comes across as very political".

But as you say, still very good though.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
28-04-2014, 08:46 PM
I love Cosmos! Smile

I haven't seen much of the new series though to really make any judgement on it though. But what I have seen is pretty fantastic so far.
While I don't mind the poetry on Cosmos, I do sort of prefer it when science shows are more blunt. By blunt I mean when a science program pretty much shoves the evidence down your throat.
One of my favorite science programs has been the "How The Earth Was Made" series by the History Channel. The whole series is evidence galore.
The remake of Cosmos has turned out better than I expected, that's for sure. I like the spaceship idea with Neil Degrasse Tyson flying around the universe too, it's so cute Smile

"There is a circle here that links us to one another: we each want to be happy; the social feeling of love is one of our greatest sources of happiness; and love entails that we be concerned for the happiness of others. We discover that we can be selfish together."
-Sam Harris
29-04-2014, 03:16 AM
(27-04-2014 08:06 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Awful lot of time dedicated to lead contamination, Cosmos is starting to feel like an individuals self indulgence on pet topics.

Well, the show's not supposed to only say "this is science" but also "why it matters", by providing tangible proof, and not just "science matters because it's useful". Yeah, it's useful, but how?

Elaborating upon a specific example of why science matters maximizes the impact it may have on the viewer. Sure, a 10 year old kid watching it now won't remember all the details in a few years, but he/she will remember red-stained, unhealthy people walking on the street because of the lack of reasonable science.

Many verses are like silver threads
tied on the chimes of the stars-
if you pull them,
a silver peal makes the horizon vibrate.
04-05-2014, 09:22 PM
I absolutely LOVED tonight's episode. Probably my favorite so far. Exploring the depths of the ocean, and learning more about all the factors that went into our evolution as a species. Amazing!!! Big Grin Thumbsup

People used to laugh at me when I would say "I want to be a comedian". Well nobody is laughing now!

You can never lose a homing pigeon - if your homing pigeon doesn't come back, what you've lost is a pigeon.
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
05-05-2014, 05:43 AM
I'm glad I DVR the episodes, because the last 3 or 4 have zonked me out in the chair before the half way point.

When I watch them at a different time I enjoy them much more, maybe by the time Sunday evening rolls around I just need sleep. NGT's soft voice is just too soothing.

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
05-05-2014, 06:52 AM
(04-05-2014 09:22 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I absolutely LOVED tonight's episode. Probably my favorite so far. Exploring the depths of the ocean, and learning more about all the factors that went into our evolution as a species. Amazing!!! Big Grin Thumbsup

wow wow, spoiler alert! some of use haven't seen the latest episode yet..

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
05-05-2014, 04:02 PM
(05-05-2014 06:52 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(04-05-2014 09:22 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I absolutely LOVED tonight's episode. Probably my favorite so far. Exploring the depths of the ocean, and learning more about all the factors that went into our evolution as a species. Amazing!!! Big Grin Thumbsup

wow wow, spoiler alert! some of use haven't seen the latest episode yet..

Smercury gave no fucks this day Cool Tongue

People used to laugh at me when I would say "I want to be a comedian". Well nobody is laughing now!

You can never lose a homing pigeon - if your homing pigeon doesn't come back, what you've lost is a pigeon.
[+] 3 users Like Smercury44's post