Costco - is it worth it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2015, 06:26 PM
RE: Costco - is it worth it?
(04-06-2015 06:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Your glasses will be $300 instead of $600 even if you have presbyopia ad astigmatism. New tires will set you back $500 instead of $1000.

I would have to check to see if they have the no-line multifocals (oddly called progressives) that I need.

I may have to go there Saturday...there's one not far from here.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2015, 06:41 PM
(04-06-2015 05:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have never been in a Costco but am wondering if it would be beneficial to join.

So, tell me what you think of being a member of Costco, what your favorite purchases are, what you always purchase there, what you never purchase there...

Go-

We used to be members. We dropped it, because I could often find the same things cheaper. Also for other things, the packages were so big, that they'd be tossed before finished. I'm also not find of a 20 pound bag of frozen broccoli or a twelve pack of tv dinners...I'm also not fond of the Kirkland cheeses and many of their other things they sell. Soda I can usually find a better deal on sale (like buy two 12 pks, get three free).

The meat prices were at the same level as the butcher shops. But at least there I can see the whole cut, as opposed to half.

Also things like toilet paper and paper towels I could find cheaper at places like target. There are things I miss, like garbage bags and those huge ass things of cling wrap...but it's not worth the membership costs, dealing with lines and etc for a scant few things.

Other stuff, I suppose you've got to shop around to see if your getting a deal or not. We almost bought a camera once, but found a better camera at a cheaper price elsewhere.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-06-2015, 06:42 PM
Yes.

Disclaimer: I don't pay for mine.

... this is my signature!
04-06-2015, 06:50 PM
(04-06-2015 06:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 05:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have never been in a Costco but am wondering if it would be beneficial to join.

So, tell me what you think of being a member of Costco, what your favorite purchases are, what you always purchase there, what you never purchase there...

Go-

We used to be members. We dropped it, because I could often find the same things cheaper. Also for other things, the packages were so big, that they'd be tossed before finished. I'm also not find of a 20 pound bag of frozen broccoli or a twelve pack of tv dinners...I'm also not fond of the Kirkland cheeses and many of their other things they sell. Soda I can usually find a better deal on sale (like buy two 12 pks, get three free).

The meat prices were at the same level as the butcher shops. But at least there I can see the whole cut, as opposed to half.

Also things like toilet paper and paper towels I could find cheaper at places like target. There are things I miss, like garbage bags and those huge ass things of cling wrap...but it's not worth the membership costs, dealing with lines and etc for a scant few things.

Other stuff, I suppose you've got to shop around to see if your getting a deal or not. We almost bought a camera once, but found a better camera at a cheaper price elsewhere.

I may just go wander around. There aren't that many things I need to buy in bulk but if I could really save half on glasses that would pay for membership and then some.

As for meat...the one store that used to have good quality meat doesn't any more.

I used to belong to Sam's and it was great when I was buying vast amounts of Gatorade and snacks for sports teams...but after that was over, I really didn't see much savings - that and the location wasn't very convenient for me.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
04-06-2015, 06:58 PM
(04-06-2015 06:50 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 06:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  We used to be members. We dropped it, because I could often find the same things cheaper. Also for other things, the packages were so big, that they'd be tossed before finished. I'm also not find of a 20 pound bag of frozen broccoli or a twelve pack of tv dinners...I'm also not fond of the Kirkland cheeses and many of their other things they sell. Soda I can usually find a better deal on sale (like buy two 12 pks, get three free).

I may just go wander around. There aren't that many things I need to buy in bulk but if I could really save half on glasses that would pay for membership and then some.

As for meat...the one store that used to have good quality meat doesn't any more.

I used to belong to Sam's and it was great when I was buying vast amounts of Gatorade and snacks for sports teams...but after that was over, I really didn't see much savings - that and the location wasn't very convenient for me.

I always thought Costco's produce looked really good, as well as their bakery products. Their meat section looks pretty good as well (although, I have never purchased anything from there). They also have brand name items that you can buy in bulk as well.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
04-06-2015, 07:09 PM
(04-06-2015 06:50 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 06:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  We used to be members. We dropped it, because I could often find the same things cheaper. Also for other things, the packages were so big, that they'd be tossed before finished. I'm also not find of a 20 pound bag of frozen broccoli or a twelve pack of tv dinners...I'm also not fond of the Kirkland cheeses and many of their other things they sell. Soda I can usually find a better deal on sale (like buy two 12 pks, get three free).

We used to shop there a lot, like practically exclusively. We had the super expensive membership that gave us cash back -- our membership costs were almost free. But as the kids got older, and didn't like the huge bag of doritos that went stale, or the box of apples..or the huge box of otter pops, fruit roll ups and cereal...plus it was always so crowded. It's like a damn Stones concert without the dope and tailgating.

We went back once, just to see if it would be worth it. I picked up two things...yeah, didn't buy them. I did stock up on a few things that I'm actually still using. I just opened the last box of Kirkland garbage bags. I still have a huge roll of butcher paper too (I think).

If I didn't have to pay for the membership I might consider it.

Also, if you compare prices...check with an amazon prime membership. They will ship even frozen or fresh items super fast for free. I do buy some of my cleaning supplies through them..

Housewife with no income and all that...but I can't be fussed with clipping coupons -- I don't even get a newspaper.

04-06-2015, 07:51 PM
I also have amazon prime - free 2 day shipping - and am increasingly buying things that way. The selection of most things is nice, I've only once had an issue - I bought a TV that had a bad spot in a corner - they just took my word on it and the money was back in my account the next day.

Plus you save on gas if shopping is the only reason you drive to some places...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-06-2015, 08:03 PM
(04-06-2015 07:51 PM)Dom Wrote:  I also have amazon prime - free 2 day shipping - and am increasingly buying things that way. The selection of most things is nice, I've only once had an issue - I bought a TV that had a bad spot in a corner - they just took my word on it and the money was back in my account the next day.

I've got Amazon prime too. I've been keeping an eye on their pantry items, and doing price comparison. So far they are the same price or a fraction less than what I buy at my local store. I make one trip every two weeks, so since I'm already there buying my fresh items, I haven't bought anything there yet.

We've got Costco and SAMs club here. I haven't done any comparison shopping yet (I have family members with memberships, so I could if I wanted). I'd probably like to buy certain things in bulk, just not sure if it's worth it for me yet.
04-06-2015, 09:27 PM
(04-06-2015 07:51 PM)Dom Wrote:  I also have amazon prime - free 2 day shipping - and am increasingly buying things that way. The selection of most things is nice, I've only once had an issue - I bought a TV that had a bad spot in a corner - they just took my word on it and the money was back in my account the next day.

I am the queen of Amazon - I have been shopping on there for years an also have a prime account. Going to stores is so not my favorite thing to do.

About the only thing I haven't bought through them is food.

04-06-2015, 09:36 PM
(04-06-2015 09:27 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

I am the queen of Amazon - I have been shopping on there for years an also have a prime account. Going to stores is so not my favorite thing to do.

About the only thing I haven't bought through them is food.

I've found some awesome deals on peanut butter and lots of other stuff.

You should look. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post