Costco - is it worth it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2015, 11:02 PM
RE: Costco - is it worth it?
Aldis ...it's same as Trader Joes (same owner- German). Good stuff cheap, good quality, nice produce, too. Cheese is fair... I'm a snob. But they do have Portobello shrooms & gourmet frozen foods. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
04-06-2015, 11:07 PM
(04-06-2015 11:02 PM)kim Wrote:  Aldis ...it's same as Trader Joes (same owner- German). Good stuff cheap, good quality, nice produce, too. Cheese is fair... I'm a snob. But they do have Portobello shrooms & gourmet frozen foods. Shy

I go there every week, always get some Baby Bellas.Thumbsup
04-06-2015, 11:14 PM
We've got Aldis here too. Super cheap. Wonder why I don't go there... Consider I need to make a trip over there soon.
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
05-06-2015, 12:25 AM
(04-06-2015 11:14 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  We've got Aldis here too. Super cheap. Wonder why I don't go there... Consider I need to make a trip over there soon.

Gotta bring your own bags, unless you buy some there. Smile
05-06-2015, 07:29 AM
(04-06-2015 11:02 PM)kim Wrote:  Aldis ...it's same as Trader Joes (same owner- German). Good stuff cheap, good quality, nice produce, too. Cheese is fair... I'm a snob. But they do have Portobello shrooms & gourmet frozen foods. Shy

Not the same owner. Aldi Group Nord owns Trader Joe's, while the ALDI stores in the U.S. are owned by Aldi Group Sud. They are separately owned.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-06-2015, 07:34 AM
We (my wife and I) joined a BJ's a few months back (like a Costco) primarily to buy our son a bunk bed that saved us $500 or so. That more than made up for the cost of membership.

It isn't always an advantage to buy everything in bulk (obviously) but we do buy some things there since we have the membership (like frozen hamburgers, laundry soap, etc) as it saves some money. We also used our membership to buy a new tv that was on sale.

So it can be worth it for some of the big purchases you may need to make coming up (as Girly mentioned, things like tires or glasses or a mattress or electronics, etc).

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
05-06-2015, 07:49 AM
(05-06-2015 07:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Not the same owner. Aldi Group Nord owns Trader Joe's, while the ALDI stores in the U.S. are owned by Aldi Group Sud. They are separately owned.

Really? I thought it was just subsidiary of the same company?
Is that not the same? Consider

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
05-06-2015, 07:52 AM
(05-06-2015 07:49 AM)kim Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 07:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  Not the same owner. Aldi Group Nord owns Trader Joe's, while the ALDI stores in the U.S. are owned by Aldi Group Sud. They are separately owned.

Really? I thought it was just subsidiary of the same company?

They were once the same store but split before they started opening up chains in the U.S.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
05-06-2015, 07:53 AM
I would also add that if you are planning on going to Costco--go early--like as soon as it opens early. Costco tends to get crazy and flooded with people the later you go.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
05-06-2015, 08:00 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 08:05 AM by Chas.)
(05-06-2015 07:52 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 07:49 AM)kim Wrote:  Really? I thought it was just subsidiary of the same company?

They were once the same store but split before they started opening up chains in the U.S.

Well, sort of. Two brothers started the company then split it into separate companies, Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud, with non-overlapping market territories. Trader Joe's is an end-run by Nord to invade Sud's territory because "Trader Joe's" is not an "ALDI" store.

Quote:When the brothers split the company in 1960 over a dispute whether they should sell cigarettes, they owned 300 shops with a cash flow of DM90 million yearly. In 1962, they introduced the name Aldi—short for "Al"brecht-"Di"skont. Aldi Nord and Aldi Süd have been financially and legally separate since 1966, although both divisions' names may appear (as if they were a single enterprise) with certain house brands or when negotiating with contractor companies.

They split when it was just in Germany, hence 'Nord' and 'Sud'.
Orange is Aldi Sud, blue is Aldi Nord.

[Image: 1280px-Aldi_world_map.png]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post