Costco - is it worth it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2015, 08:01 AM
RE: Costco - is it worth it?
While there's not nearly enough data available, there is some. Costco does pretty well, but I've never been to - or heard of! - most of the others. Except Wegman's, actually, since upstate New York is right there across the border. And they are, without a doubt, better than anything here in Ontario.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2015, 08:10 AM
weekends Costco is slam packed. You have been warned.

if you go, go hungry. loads of samples, makes shopping with kids easy Smile

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
05-06-2015, 08:27 AM
(05-06-2015 08:10 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  weekends Costco is slam packed. You have been warned.

if you go, go hungry. loads of samples, makes shopping with kids easy Smile

But the bottleneck around those areas...Facepalm Especially on weekends....

It's bad enough navigating with those huge carts (which are totally needed) but then you've got everyone and their grandmother waiting for some Kirkland hot pocket.

That said, I used to buy a hotdog for the kids after shopping. Don't know what they cost now, but back then it was like 2 dollars for a coke and dog. When the kids were really small, we'd cut it half...Big Grin

Having said all this...I will fully say Costco is super good to their employees.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
05-06-2015, 08:33 AM
yes, the Costco snack bar is great and dirt cheap. We like their smoothies.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
05-06-2015, 08:43 AM
(05-06-2015 08:33 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  yes, the Costco snack bar is great and dirt cheap. We like their smoothies.

Weekends it's not as bad. They were just starting the smoothy thing when we stopped going...The pizza slices were huge..

The cool thing is membership isn't required to buy in the snack area so maybe I'll buzz over and check out the smoothies. Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

05-06-2015, 09:07 AM
(04-06-2015 06:26 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 06:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Your glasses will be $300 instead of $600 even if you have presbyopia ad astigmatism. New tires will set you back $500 instead of $1000.

I would have to check to see if they have the no-line multifocals (oddly called progressives) that I need.

I may have to go there Saturday...there's one not far from here.

Progressives are what I have. I need high index and my lenses are $160. You can buy your frames there or you can bring in your own frames and they will charge you only for the lenses. Hipsters are getting big ugly retro frames from thrift stores and bringing them in. Here's some more info.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-06-2015, 09:24 AM
(05-06-2015 08:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 07:52 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  They were once the same store but split before they started opening up chains in the U.S.

Well, sort of. Two brothers started the company then split it into separate companies, Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud, with non-overlapping market territories. Trader Joe's is an end-run by Nord to invade Sud's territory because "Trader Joe's" is not an "ALDI" store.

Quote:When the brothers split the company in 1960 over a dispute whether they should sell cigarettes, they owned 300 shops with a cash flow of DM90 million yearly. In 1962, they introduced the name Aldi—short for "Al"brecht-"Di"skont. Aldi Nord and Aldi Süd have been financially and legally separate since 1966, although both divisions' names may appear (as if they were a single enterprise) with certain house brands or when negotiating with contractor companies.

They split when it was just in Germany, hence 'Nord' and 'Sud'.
Orange is Aldi Sud, blue is Aldi Nord.

[Image: 1280px-Aldi_world_map.png]

Oh gotcha - corporate reality is diffetent from real reality. And people wonder why people 'believe' stuff. Dodgy

I get the same stuff from Aldi as I can at Trader Joe's ... theres a lot of German stuff, too. Whoever 'owns it/them' is probably doing pretty good... it takes a lot to get me to be a regular customer. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein