CotNB

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2012, 01:47 PM
CotNB
I hearby found the CotNB (Club of the Non-Breathers)

Requirement to become a member is having Asthma.

Cheers to our Nonbreathyness *taking two hubs from inhalor*

---------------

- Hi, my name is Leela and I have Asthma
- (group) Hi Leela.
- It has been two hours since I last took more than two hubs from my inhalor. I was out with the dog and decided that she needs to run, so I ran with the dog. Not far, just until my bronchs decided to close. I walked home the rest of the way, slowly. My bronchs did not relax even after some time had passed. I was still not able to breath, and I felt very bad so I took two hubs. They didn't really help so I took two more hubs. That got me back to breathing.

--------------------

When I was younger and had no Asthma, we learnt about it at school, briefly. To explain how it feels when you have an Asthma attack, the teacher gave us straws and told us to breath through these.
I still don't get this because it is nothing like breathing through a straw. Asthma hurts and it is not simply a shortness of breath or faster breath when you have an attack. It is worse. Your bronchs basically refuse what they are supposed to do > enrichen the blood with stuff in the air. They just kinda close down, tighten up, as far as I read about this. And it is exactly what it feels like. And sometimes this hurts like crap. You try to breath but it is impossible to do so. Although your brain knows the amount of air you can take in, your bronchs don't let it happen.
I hate to have this. I had people telling me that Asthma can go away with time. I am not sure mine will. I got it when I was grown already, after a really bad Bronchities I developed Asthma.

Most of the time it is ok, I usually don't feel it at all. And normally I am not using the inhalor for months at a time. But two months ago, I had a very bad, scary, threatening lung infection that even my doctor got scared. Since then I have to use the spray a lot more. Lately I actually wake up at night because I can't breath, so for the first time ever, I have my inhalor right next to the bed...

How frustrating that my ability to breath depends on having that fucking inhalor... I feel like I just wanna smash it against a wall...

Anyone knows this feeling, this frustration... ?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2012, 02:00 PM
RE: CotNB
I used to have really bad asthma as a kid. I remember it feeling like I had insulation in my lungs and a suction cup attached to my mouth. My ribs would hurt after an attack, and my blood pressure was high.

It's debilitating, can stop you in your tracks, and isn't fun when going through an attack when alone.

I remember getting out of several PE classes because I was having a bad week. Turns out there was enough dust in the gym to stuff a King Size mattress.

I just found out I'm allergic to the neighbors dog. I'm having shortness of breath, but so far nothing near what I went through before.

If I still had my puffer, I'd click it with yours in a toast to the future to finding a cure to asthma. Lots better than throwing it against the wall. Especially since the containers are cheapo!

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
12-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Lifetime Chronic Non-Breather here. I feel your pain.

And the tightness in your lungs.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
12-10-2012, 02:07 PM
I don't have asthma, but I can empathize with being tied to the inhaler. I'm a diabetic, and that means never going anywhere without insulin and some fast acting sugar. It's like a ball and chain. And jeebus save me if I forget to bring all this crap. Even if my blood sugar stays ok, the anxiety of not having it at arms length is enough to drive me stark raving mad!

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it's true. I carry a man-purse.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
12-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Oh noes! That's sooooooooo 2006! Tongue

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
13-10-2012, 02:15 AM
Another morning, another try... Just got up. If I wouldn't be so stubborn I would use the inhaler right now. But I always try not to. I always try to stay low and see if it goes away. Sometimes it does. (I am whining and that's ok!)

13-10-2012, 02:41 AM
I'm asthmatic, but it doesn't cause me problems really... it isn't too bad any more.

Although, smoking doesn't really help me. Tongue

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
21-10-2012, 09:24 PM
For days I wondered "wtf is CotNB?" before clicking...

I was just hospitalized for asthma for a week at the beginning of this month. Mine's gotten a lot worse because they changed my meds to deal with the cushing's syndrome from prednisone to hydrocortisone, which is not controlling inflammation very well (in general, i mean that I have rashes and I can't breathe, among other things). I fully expected to get a breathing treatment and a shot and to leave the ER that day, they ended up keeping me for a week because I didn't improve as quickly as they thought I should. Then last week they gave me a pulse/ox meter thing to take home and wear overnight, then bring back. Then next week I have a pulmonary function test at the hospital. And I see my endocrinologist early tomorrow morning and I'm convinced I will not sleep at all before that. [/rant]

@Leela: Have you considered inhaled corticosteroids? Things can supposedly get worse if you don't keep it under control for long periods and end up wheezing and using inhalers a lot (like me lately...). They just put me on symbicort and singulair. the singulair pills give me outrageously bad insomnia and bizarre nightmares if i do manage to sleep.

Anyway: asthma. Pain in the ass. What bothers me most is worrying. What if I need an inhaler and I don't have one? What if the inhaler doesn't relieve the breathing trouble? Etc. Even at times I didn't use the inhaler much, I hated that feeling of dependence on it. But now I'm steroid dependent and will die without those (by way of adrenal crisis) so it's doubly irritating.
26-10-2012, 02:27 AM
@amyb: When I had this dangerous lung infection, my doctor changed my inhaler. I used to have Berodual. Which helped, but slowly, so in an acute attack it would have taked up to 5 minutes to actually help. Now I have Ventolin. And it works a lot faster and better, the relief is almost instant now. Before the infection I didn't have to use the inhaler for months at a time. During it, the doctor told me to use it at the tiniest sign of shortness of breath or so. But the infection was really bad and I ate literally a handfull of pills for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
For a while after that I still had to use the inhaler a lot, then it got less again. When we moved back to Romania the climate was very dry and kinda dusty, so it got worse, now since it rained a few times it is ok again and I don't really have to use it.

I am not so worried what happens if I don't have an inhaler. I don't because I know how to breath it away. I know that if I keep calm, even a bad attack won't kill me. I had that a few times and see I am still here and breathing. But I know that it is dangerous and painful to go through a bad attack without inhaler so I decided to use it...

26-10-2012, 05:06 AM
[troll]Breathes in and out[/troll]

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post