No
Maybe / I don't Know / Other
[Show Results]

Could I be a psychopath?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2014, 05:47 PM
RE: Could I be a psychopath?
(23-08-2014 02:00 PM)Dom Wrote:  Depersonalization is ok as a thinking tool, but it can't be acted upon, it goes against the preservation of the species instinct.

I don't think that exists.

Quote:If you had to kill them in person and watch them die, you would never do it.

Depersonalization is actually something that worries me about the future generations. The internet contains just about everything, but it is all depersonalized. Are we losing touch with the reality of lives of others?

It's what governments and militaries do in wartime. It does make the killing easier. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
23-08-2014, 06:46 PM
(23-08-2014 12:23 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  With more and more stories of what ISIS, Al Qaeda and other Islamic groups running around since and even before the 9/11. I find myself really wishing that we could or somebody else would Genocide the entire Islamic group from the planet. That is ever last person who believes a word of the Quran. Not just them of course. All of the middle east and most of northern Africa and the leader of NK as well for good measure.

The strange thing is, I am pretty sure I really do not hate them. I am not afraid of what they are doing in any way. I feel a little upset about the things they do. I know what it feels like to hate someone and they are not someone I hate. I just wish the complete and utter Genocide of these people. I believe if the entire Jewish, Islamic and other populations of all middle eastern and northern Africa which would include Egypt would be wiped off the face of our planet. Things would be better, that's all. Regardless of what the story is, who are the real good guys, who wronged who or who took land from who first. I could care less. I just want them all gone dead forever.....but I don't hate them in any way and I am not angry at a single one of them. What they do has never interrupted my life in any way and if I never heard of them, it wouldn't change anything.

I am not racist and I really could care less about people of that race that do not live outside of those areas. There could be a billion people who moved the the us from the middle east and they would not be a part of it...just the ones....over there.

So, what is the deal? Am I a psychopath to want genocide on people I am not hateful towards, racists towards, or could care less about? I just think we would be better off without the entire populace of those lands and we could make better use of their lands than they ever could. It is quite conflicting really. To want genocide is usually hate inspired but I know my own emotions far too well and that is simply not the case. It is really more indifference when I think about them and the things they do.

Am I a psychopath?

One of the problems is your generalizing (fallacy of generalization)entire groups into some abstract "them" which is a form of depersonalizing.

In each country you mention there are intelligent & progressive people who are paving the way to enlightened secular values and according to your analysis you will also be wiping out most of the world considering the US also has a fair proportion of fundamentalists for example. I personally have debated with intelligent Saudi's & Egyptians who are trying to bring enlightenment to the Arab world - for now in Saudi at least they are a minority endangered species so we need to protect them.

Looks to me that you fear a particular brand of fundamentalism not entire countries or regions or peoples. i.e you fear/hate/dislike the Islamic fundamentalists as an example (the ISIS/Al-Quada/Al-Nusra/Taliban/Hamas/Islamic Jihad/BukuHaram/Al-Shabab sort). - this isnt being psychopathic but quite normal considering these are seriously flawed and poisonous ideologies.

...again Christian fundamentalist's can be and have been even worse than the Islamic versions - except that today Christianity has been fragmented & watered down post the enlightenment (something that the Islamic world has not gone through) However Christian fundamentalists still cause their fair share of trouble (stopping stem cell research for example & burning abortion clinics)

As for hating "Jews" - again, you probably hate some of the fundamentalist ideas, but Judaism is more complex considering someone not orthodox is still considered Jewish - that would include hundreds of noble prize winning contributors to medicine, physics, psychology, literature etc...and key philosophers who helped the enlightenment transform Europe such as Baruch Spinoza. (one of my favorites)

Also consider secular political fundamentalism - sure you will also dislike the Pol-Pots, Mao's & Stalin's of the world & North Korea style dictatorships .
(approx. 20% of the world's population or 2 out of 10 people.) ...and only 8 noble prizes. [I would say 7 considering giving a noble peace prize to Arafat is a joke]

The Global Jewish population is aproximately 13.2 million or about 0.2% of the world population. Jews received 166 Nobel Prizes[as of 2005] - many within sciences. One reason for this is Jews culturally value education and this value continues even if one has left orthodoxy.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Baruch's post
27-08-2014, 11:39 AM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2014 11:49 AM by jojorumbles.)
I've actually had this thought for a while. Am I crazy? Do I have a major mental health disorder? Self examination only goes so far.

An overall question emerges from it: If I am insane, does it really matter? I'm not a violent person and have no desire to hurt myself or others. I get along fairly well within society and can support myself. I seem to be sufficiently adjusted to society. So if I'm really crazy, then it doesn't really matter.

This comes up because I am physically transitioning from one sex to another (from male to female). There are a sizable number of people out there, theists and atheists alike, who consider that to be a major mental disorder. So the self examination, though limited, comes up now and then.

Some would argue that sex reassignment surgery is considered self mutilation, unnecessary, cosmetic, and ultimately a harm to ones self. It makes me pause and think of what other surgeries would fall under this definition.
[+] 1 user Likes jojorumbles's post
29-08-2014, 08:54 AM
Wishing for the death of many people doesn't make you a psychopath. Evolutionkills is right, psychopath as a diagnosis has a clinical definition that includes specific kinds of behaviors and thought patterns - for which you do not appear to qualify. Sorry, maybe if you study real hard you can pass the exam next time Wink .

I think you are engaging in hyperbole. I doubt you would murder millions of people for crime of living in one particular part of the world. I need remind you that for every one extremest, there are thousands of peaceable people who have hurt no one, and have no desire to hurt anyone.
29-08-2014, 01:50 PM
(27-08-2014 11:39 AM)jojorumbles Wrote:  I've actually had this thought for a while. Am I crazy? Do I have a major mental health disorder? Self examination only goes so far.

An overall question emerges from it: If I am insane, does it really matter? I'm not a violent person and have no desire to hurt myself or others. I get along fairly well within society and can support myself. I seem to be sufficiently adjusted to society. So if I'm really crazy, then it doesn't really matter.

This comes up because I am physically transitioning from one sex to another (from male to female). There are a sizable number of people out there, theists and atheists alike, who consider that to be a major mental disorder. So the self examination, though limited, comes up now and then.

Some would argue that sex reassignment surgery is considered self mutilation, unnecessary, cosmetic, and ultimately a harm to ones self. It makes me pause and think of what other surgeries would fall under this definition.

As straight (or gender-comfortable? or non-conflicted?) guy, I could never imagine gender-reassignment surgery for me.
And I doubt I am able to imagine what gender dysphoria is actually like, how one would live with it, or come to the decision to have the surgery.

That said, I admire your courage to face it and your calm and your openness here about it. I do hope it goes well for you.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-08-2014, 04:37 PM
Psychopaths are typically self loathing people, that is one of their hallmark traits. Hitler was a psychopath. Ted Bundy was a psychopath. But, you might also be surprised to note that many are NOT violent, at all. They are often CEO's, and religious leaders...even boy scout leaders.

Another major trait of a psychopath is he/she lacks the ability to be be intropsective. He/she doesn't care how he/she affects others, and if he/she says they do...it's trickery. A facade. They lack the ability to take a self inventory, so that right there...tells me that you are not a psychopath. If you are asking us if you are, and you care about having the feelings you're having...most likely, you're not one.

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
29-08-2014, 10:33 PM
Wanting to see a whole group of people die generally goes away after you meet someone from that group of people.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
[+] 1 user Likes Res Publica's post
01-09-2014, 03:53 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2014 03:58 PM by Luminon.)
(23-08-2014 12:23 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  So, what is the deal? Am I a psychopath to want genocide on people I am not hateful towards, racists towards, or could care less about? I just think we would be better off without the entire populace of those lands and we could make better use of their lands than they ever could. It is quite conflicting really. To want genocide is usually hate inspired but I know my own emotions far too well and that is simply not the case. It is really more indifference when I think about them and the things they do.

Am I a psychopath?
Congratulations, you're a part of a social group, or a memetic infection. You're not a psychopath, but memes and social groups do behave like psychopaths to each other. The most visible example of that is behavior of states towards each other. Study history of nations and you will see a history of backstabbing, bloodshed and broken treaties. The whole thing can be summed up by Machiavelli's dagger in the back low blow rules of thumb.
Memes are simple programs of subconscious conditioning, about as clever as bacteria, but they use the whole power of a victim's reasoning to bring up defenses. They are not intellectual and can not be reasoned away.

An easy way to respond is to say, there is no "they" or "them" or "us". The problem is, the Muslims are even more heavily conditioned, i.e. exposed to childhood violence. The way to accept violence is to be exposed to it from early childhood. Healthy people cringe away from violence, instead of seeking it.

What can not be reasoned away, is with us to stay forever, unless we do something. By something I mean self-knowledge or actually meeting the people and gaining a relationship with them. Or being utterly disgusted by actual violent or combat situations as a whole. But violence (conditioning) turns our subconsciousness into a big bleeding open wound covered with scar tissue. "Us vs. them" is the scar tissue. Trying to undo the conditioning is one of the least pleasant and most difficult things anyone can do and it comes with a severe social and relationship penalty from other members of a cultural group. This is why de-conditioning or de-programming is only done in rare cases with people like victims saved from a cult or survivors of kidnapping. Frankly, whole nations would need that. I want to wipe them out completely. The conditioning memes, I mean. I am ruthlessly genocidal towards the contents of culture.

There are of course some good stories in the culture. The usual pattern of meeting enemy alien species and befriending one...
18-03-2015, 04:16 AM
(23-08-2014 05:54 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(23-08-2014 05:02 AM)Vosur Wrote:  No, you're not a psychopath, you're an edgy teenager.

Angel

but im 29 lol

29, 19 .. blah blah Dodgy
18-03-2015, 04:20 AM
(23-08-2014 12:23 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  With more and more stories of what ISIS, Al Qaeda and other Islamic groups running around since and even before the 9/11. I find myself really wishing that we could or somebody else would Genocide the entire Islamic group from the planet. That is ever last person who believes a word of the Quran. Not just them of course. All of the middle east and most of northern Africa and the leader of NK as well for good measure.

The strange thing is, I am pretty sure I really do not hate them. I am not afraid of what they are doing in any way. I feel a little upset about the things they do. I know what it feels like to hate someone and they are not someone I hate. I just wish the complete and utter Genocide of these people. I believe if the entire Jewish, Islamic and other populations of all middle eastern and northern Africa which would include Egypt would be wiped off the face of our planet. Things would be better, that's all. Regardless of what the story is, who are the real good guys, who wronged who or who took land from who first. I could care less. I just want them all gone dead forever.....but I don't hate them in any way and I am not angry at a single one of them. What they do has never interrupted my life in any way and if I never heard of them, it wouldn't change anything.

I am not racist and I really could care less about people of that race that do not live outside of those areas. There could be a billion people who moved the the us from the middle east and they would not be a part of it...just the ones....over there.

So, what is the deal? Am I a psychopath to want genocide on people I am not hateful towards, racists towards, or could care less about? I just think we would be better off without the entire populace of those lands and we could make better use of their lands than they ever could. It is quite conflicting really. To want genocide is usually hate inspired but I know my own emotions far too well and that is simply not the case. It is really more indifference when I think about them and the things they do.

Am I a psychopath?
I think you're well advised to take the threat of Islam seriously. If you're a Psychopath then all Islamists are. Religion is evidently insane. To want 'final solutions', 'chosen people' etc is mentally immature certainly.