Poll: Did religious education contribute to your atheism?
Yes
No
Didn't have religious education
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Could Private School Kill Religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2017, 11:46 PM
Question Could Private School Kill Religion?
I grew up moderately religious and didn't become atheist until after I went to Baylor and was immersed in Christian culture.

I was playing with the idea: if school vouchers got more people into private schools, then more children would read the bible. If they actually read it, instead of just believing what their religious grandparents say, then they are more likely to say, "no, that doesn't seem likely." Furthermore, once today's youth ran into the strict nuns, imam, rabbis, or clerics, running their local temple, they children would have NOTHING to do with their church.

Eventually, religious education kills off religion.

Thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2017, 04:23 AM
RE: Could Private School Kill Religion?
Welcome to TTA.

Yup. This has crossed my mind too as I had a similar experience. It's a form of aversion therapy.

Better though to not have to waste time / have your time wasted and instead be taught critical-thinking by being exposed to multiple myths, legends and religions. Indeed, this may be a prerequisite to future immunity.

Yes

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
01-07-2017, 04:27 AM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2017 04:30 AM by jennybee.)
Yes and no. When I was a Christian we were only spoon fed the good parts of the Bible. Just enough to keep you in check. When I decided to read a little further on my own, that's when I realized it was all bs.

I think if schools offered a critical teaching of the Bible, then yes it could serve to deconvert people (depending on their level of brainwashing and desire to believe.)

Also welcome to TTA Smile
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
01-07-2017, 04:45 AM
Unfortunately, for every one person who studies religion and turns against it there are dozens who don't. The sad evidence would include the thousands of kids who've passed through Bob Jones and Liberty University with their faith intact.

Also private religious schools aren't great at teaching critical thinking or sciences (for the anti-evolution, climate-change-denying sects). I don't want the next generation to be dimwitted followers.

So widespread use of vouchers would reinforce religion, not destroy it, IMO.
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
01-07-2017, 04:48 AM
(30-06-2017 11:46 PM)WiseOlBoogieMan Wrote:  I was playing with the idea: if school vouchers got more people into private schools, then more children would read the bible.

Or not.

Quote:If they actually read it, instead of just believing what their religious grandparents say, then they are more likely to say, "no, that doesn't seem likely."

Or they could say that part x is just a metaphor.

Quote:Furthermore, once today's youth ran into the strict nuns, imam, rabbis, or clerics, running their local temple, they children would have NOTHING to do with their church.

Possible. But not going to church does not mean not believing whatever bullshit one was indoctrinated earlier. One can be religious without visiting temples.

Quote:Eventually, religious education kills off religion.

Thoughts?

I have another take - to erase religion one has to improve world we live in - religion is opiate of the masses helping them to cope with existence. When your life isn't shitty you have smaller need for god and paradise.

Education also wouldn't hurt, but schools should teach about how religions come into being. Religious studies would help people to see mechanism hidden behind the priests schemes.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
01-07-2017, 08:02 AM
Well, religious education was the coup de grace for me. I remember having doubts when I was seven years old but suppressing those and trusting that my parents knew better than I did.

It was at a Catholic university that my growing cognitive dissonance won the day (during a world's religion course, though it helped that I never again attended Mass once I left home) and I recognized my lack of belief fully.

Sadly, I don't think religious education would work on everyone. Others have given good reasons for this. I would only add that I think religious belief is too easy and addictive to ever die.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. (G.B.Shaw)
01-07-2017, 09:20 AM
(01-07-2017 04:45 AM)julep Wrote:  Unfortunately, for every one person who studies religion and turns against it there are dozens who don't. The sad evidence would include the thousands of kids who've passed through Bob Jones and Liberty University with their faith intact.

Also private religious schools aren't great at teaching critical thinking or sciences (for the anti-evolution, climate-change-denying sects). I don't want the next generation to be dimwitted followers.

So widespread use of vouchers would reinforce religion, not destroy it, IMO.

Oh oh oh! Geeky moment here. To second Julep's excellent point, there's a book by Kevin Roose called The Unlikely Disciple about an agnostic lapsed Quaker who decides instead of doing a semester abroad like many of his Columbia friends, he'll do one at Liberty. It's a really great look into Liberty's "education" (some of which is actually educational). One of the required Freshman classes though is just anti-evolution stuff and Creationism; at one point he goes into the facts and figures of an internal study Liberty's faculty did on how many of their students believed in Creationism going in vs. going out, and if memory serves (my copy is at my parents house 600 miles away), the rates were minisculely higher going out. So in that case, at that university at least, students retained or gained beliefs.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-07-2017, 10:05 AM
After 10 years of Lutheran school, I can safely say that Martin Luther's message of rebellion extends to God. Nothing better to turn out atheists than bullshit immersion.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
01-07-2017, 10:19 AM
Seven years of Catholic school was enough for me. Of course that was after five or six years of weekly Catechism classes.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
01-07-2017, 10:46 AM
I became an atheist the very day I received my first bible. Easter Sunday when I was 9. I remember sitting down and reading a few pages into Genesis. I thought to myself. Nope. None of this is real.

But I think it takes an open mind to accomplish what you are asking. Religion had never been forced on me. We were told god was real and went to church sometimes. It all seemed fake to me. Closed minded legit religious people are very unlikely to change. I've had a million debates with theists, they ignore facts better than anyone.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Lord Dark Helmet's post