Could a world spread social revolution destroy most religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2015, 06:26 AM
RE: Could a world spread social revolution destroy most religion?
(15-08-2015 06:06 AM)Chas Wrote:  All of us, through taxation....
It already happens; it's called "foreign aid".

As of now, the highest percentage of GDP any country provides for foreign aid is 1.25%, and that's the United Arab Emirates. The US is less than .02% (they give the most in actual dollar amount though. But US private foreign aid surpasses government foreign aid in actual dollar amount. )

What percentage do your propose this be raised to?

How about 10%, to put it on par with a tithe? And perhaps a 9% increase in taxes to accommodate that?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2015, 04:35 PM
The way new agey spiritual thinking still persists and areas of well established security and health. I don't think a movement of that nature would be nearly enough to make religion crumble

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
15-08-2015, 05:11 PM
(15-08-2015 04:48 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(15-08-2015 01:22 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  ...
Also, if you cured AIDS and all that stuff? Expect religion to steal credit somehow.

Somehow? That's an easy one...

"God giveth and God taketh away."

Thanks, Jesus.

Dodgy

.... okay, now I've got this image of Jesus infecting millions of people with AIDS.

The conventional way.

Thank you SO much, DLJ. Sadcryface2
15-08-2015, 05:33 PM
(15-08-2015 05:11 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  .... okay, now I've got this image of Jesus infecting millions of people with AIDS.

The conventional way.

Thank you SO much, DLJ. Sadcryface2

And now I can't stop humming to myself,

o/` Je-sus loves the lit-tle chiiillldren, all the children of the world... o/`

Lecture_preist

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
16-08-2015, 12:15 AM
(15-08-2015 06:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  And whose going to pay for that?

There are a number of ways we can do that. Through some sort of collaborative multinational taxation. Take a little bit from everyone and everyone who works on these projects are volunteers. Have companies who donate materials for FREE get major tax breaks for doing so etc. Something like that might work.

Quote:Are folks gonna donate more to charity?

It's not charity when everyone pitches in and agrees to help. Food stamps, social securty and other services is not chairty and everyones taxes pays for it.

Quote:Are they just gonna agree to their taxes being raised a great deal to cover these cost? In this case, not even for their own country, but for other countries?

You are missing the point of a social revolution. The first target is not changing taxes, it is changing the way human beings think about one another who is not a part of their "tribe" or their country or flying under their sports team's worthless fucking flag so that they will WANT to do this, and no, I am not joking and yes...it is possible and its not within a million years.

Quote:Why not just get all the atheists that make over 70K a year, donate everything over 70K to these humanitarian causes? That would one up whatever religious folks give to charity.

First of all, that would be an extremely small amount of money in comparison to what the pooerest people on the planet collectively give their church. Secondly, I am sure some or many of them do give to charity.

Quote:Dawkins, Harris, and company likely draw a few million a year. Wouldn't they be such beacons of light if they settled for a modest middle class life, and donated their wealth to the poor?

It is still quite possible they make much less. It is not like selling books makes you a millionaire, at least not unless you are Steven king or whoever wrote those harry potter or twilight books. Books don't generate very much money like movies, video games or t.v shows do. No where near as much in fact.

To answer the question as is, It probably would. But considering their popularity and influence, It wouldn't make a dent towards the right direction. We would need something far more grand scale that would change many minds over a long time, rather than impress a few people over a short time that they would then just forget about the next day.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
16-08-2015, 01:55 PM
(16-08-2015 12:15 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  There are a number of ways we can do that. Through some sort of collaborative multinational taxation. Take a little bit from everyone and everyone who works on these projects are volunteers. Have companies who donate materials for FREE get major tax breaks for doing so etc. Something like that might work.

Charitable givings are already tax-exempt.

Quote:It's not charity when everyone pitches in and agrees to help. Food stamps, social security and other services is not charity and everyones taxes pays for it.

Entitlement programs already account for 66% of US Government spending, another 17% goes towards defense, another 13% is used on all other spending. The shift is more likely to go towards cutting down entitlement spending, rather than increase it, let alone increase it for the sake of foreign Aid. The world is primarily populated by the poor. So it’s not hard to imagine how extremely expense it would be to bring the global poor up to sustainable standards, or provide them similar safety nets as developed nations provide there poor.

Quote:You are missing the point of a social revolution. The first target is not changing taxes, it is changing the way human beings think about one another who is not a part of their "tribe" or their country or flying under their sports team's worthless fucking flag so that they will WANT to do this, and no, I am not joking and yes...it is possible and its not within a million years.

Perhaps I’m cynical, but I doubt that any of this is going to change. For the same reasons that’s it likely that your going to value strangers as much as your friends, or neighbors children as same as yours. There’s always going to be some order of priorities, some order of concern. That starts at home, than to less sense one’s friends, than one’s community, one’s state…country…etc.. The condition of global poor, of the lowest priority, and that’s likely never to change, or at least there’s no reason to imagine that it would. Or even what sort of revolution would over turn what appears to be the primordial order.

Quote:First of all, that would be an extremely small amount of money in comparison to what the pooerest people on the planet collectively give their church. Secondly, I am sure some or many of them do give to charity.

Maybe, but some sort of act like that might spurn other to follow suit.

Quote:It is still quite possible they make much less. It is not like selling books makes you a millionaire, at least not unless you are Steven king or whoever wrote those harry potter or twilight books. Books don't generate very much money like movies, video games or t.v shows do. No where near as much in fact.

Dawkins net work is estimated to be about $135 Million.

http://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/...net-worth/

Quote:To answer the question as is, It probably would. But considering their popularity and influence, It wouldn't make a dent towards the right direction. We would need something far more grand scale that would change many minds over a long time, rather than impress a few people over a short time that they would then just forget about the next day.

Can I ask a question, how old are you? If I were to judge by your optimism I’d peg you to be in your mid twenties or less? Am I right?
16-08-2015, 04:00 PM
(14-08-2015 06:19 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  What would happen if the churches could not complain or collect money from people donating because the poor and the sick and homeless do not exist on the scale they do today? Could a religion like Christianity find any way to adapt to a world like that or would they parish?
Can you give me immortality and eternal progression? can you bring back my ancestors?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
16-08-2015, 04:27 PM
(16-08-2015 04:00 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(14-08-2015 06:19 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  What would happen if the churches could not complain or collect money from people donating because the poor and the sick and homeless do not exist on the scale they do today? Could a religion like Christianity find any way to adapt to a world like that or would they parish?
Can you give me immortality and eternal progression? can you bring back my ancestors?

We can give you the tools to fill your mindset with a view that seeks things you can establish as achievable. Also allowing you to not view the idea of "benefits" or gifts being something post-life. Also your ancestors are all there within you already.

16-08-2015, 05:00 PM
(16-08-2015 04:27 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(16-08-2015 04:00 PM)Alla Wrote:  Can you give me immortality and eternal progression? can you bring back my ancestors?

We can give you the tools to fill your mindset with a view that seeks things you can establish as achievable. Also allowing you to not view the idea of "benefits" or gifts being something post-life. Also your ancestors are all there within you already.

then people will continue to go to churches.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
16-08-2015, 05:04 PM
(16-08-2015 05:00 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(16-08-2015 04:27 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  We can give you the tools to fill your mindset with a view that seeks things you can establish as achievable. Also allowing you to not view the idea of "benefits" or gifts being something post-life. Also your ancestors are all there within you already.

then people will continue to go to churches.

Yeah, I already said I think as much too.

(15-08-2015 04:35 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I don't think a movement of that nature would be nearly enough to make religion crumble

Though I'm not sure they in large droves will actually continue to go to churches. Religion/spirituality is still in largely industrialized communities becoming a much more individual personal claim. It's not the communal gathering if you eliminate the great need and benefit that is very significant in regions with economic/health struggles like those intended to be helped in the idea of this thread.