Could posting anti-theist social media comments ban you from entering a country?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2016, 06:15 PM
Could posting anti-theist social media comments ban you from entering a country?
Hello all,

I would love to visit some countries which happen to have the death penalty for atheism, namely some South East Asian countries. I am anti-theist and in the past I have made a large number of comments on YouTube which have been anti religion and anti the religion of the countries in question.

I am worried that for some reason I would be stopped at the airport on arrival and banned from entry or even worse... I am not sure if this is a real risk or not as nowadays it seems like you have no privacy on the internet at all and that they may be able to trace the comments back to me.

Am I being paranoid or is this something I should be worried about? I know these countries can be strict on religion and although I would be very respectful when in the country towards other cultures and beliefs I am worried that it would cause a problem.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2016, 06:17 PM
RE: Could posting anti-theist social media comments ban you from entering a country?
please list specific countries if you would.
Thank you.
30-04-2016, 06:18 PM
RE: Could posting anti-theist social media comments ban you from entering a country?
(30-04-2016 06:17 PM)skyking Wrote:  please list specific countries if you would.
Thank you.

Malaysia and Brunei.

30-04-2016, 06:19 PM
(30-04-2016 06:15 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Hello all,

I would love to visit some countries which happen to have the death penalty for atheism, namely some South East Asian countries. I am anti-theist and in the past I have made a large number of comments on YouTube which have been anti religion and anti the religion of the countries in question.

I am worried that for some reason I would be stopped at the airport on arrival and banned from entry or even worse... I am not sure if this is a real risk or not as nowadays it seems like you have no privacy on the internet at all and that they may be able to trace the comments back to me.

Am I being paranoid or is this something I should be worried about? I know these countries can be strict on religion and although I would be very respectful when in the country towards other cultures and beliefs I am worried that it would cause a problem.

I would assume the worst case scenario before traveling, but DLJ should be able to provide some useful insight on this. He lives in Malaysia and travels around that area regularly.
30-04-2016, 06:24 PM
(30-04-2016 06:19 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(30-04-2016 06:15 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Hello all,

I would assume the worst case scenario before traveling, but DLJ should be able to provide some useful insight on this. He lives in Malaysia and travels around that area regularly.

Thank you, I hope that DLJ comments, I would interested to hear what he has to say.

30-04-2016, 06:30 PM
I had a look at Islam in Malaysia, it is very strict. The ethnic Malays are forced to become Muslim and there are Sharia courts etc. for those who wish to leave the faith but they can be sentenced to death etc. They also banned non Muslims from using the word 'Allah'. It is very strict it seems.

30-04-2016, 08:11 PM
Quote:I would love to visit some countries which happen to have the death penalty for atheism

Why visit those countries?

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
30-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Malaysia is more talk than action. They've got a lot of archaic laws they don't actually enforce. Brunei, on the other hand...

'Murican Canadian
30-04-2016, 08:26 PM
At one point it was mentioned to me the need for civil engineers in Saudi Arabia.

I gave that person a look and said no. A woman and an atheist? Yeah, not happening.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
30-04-2016, 08:45 PM
(30-04-2016 08:26 PM)natachan Wrote:  At one point it was mentioned to me the need for civil engineers in Saudi Arabia.

I gave that person a look and said no. A woman and an atheist? Yeah, not happening.

No worries, they'll just keep you in the "American Compound" and tap your knowledge. I have a friend who worked on helicopters there, decades ago. The money is killer. Good/Bad, Idunno, but you wouldn't be mingling with the locals. They just want your expertise. Even back in the late '70s and early '80s when I was attending the university, the people they sent here to get educated were the biggest cheaters I'd ever seen. Must've come back to bite them on the ass, since they still rely on "The Great Satan" to get the work done properly. There's a moral in there, somewhere.