Could posting anti-theist social media comments ban you from entering a country?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2016, 11:08 PM
RE: Could posting anti-theist social media comments ban you from entering a country?
(30-04-2016 06:15 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Hello all,

I would love to visit some countries which happen to have the death penalty for atheism, namely some South East Asian countries. I am anti-theist and in the past I have made a large number of comments on YouTube which have been anti religion and anti the religion of the countries in question.

I am worried that for some reason I would be stopped at the airport on arrival and banned from entry or even worse... I am not sure if this is a real risk or not as nowadays it seems like you have no privacy on the internet at all and that they may be able to trace the comments back to me.

Am I being paranoid or is this something I should be worried about? I know these countries can be strict on religion and although I would be very respectful when in the country towards other cultures and beliefs I am worried that it would cause a problem.

Here is the list of countries where Atheism is punishable by death: Afghanistan, Iran, Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritania, Nigeria, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, United Arab Emirates and Yemen. With the exception of Pakistan, those countries all allow for capital punishment against apostasy, i.e., the renunciation of a particular religion. Pakistan, meanwhile, imposes the death penalty for blasphemy, which can obviously include disbelief in God. Now, if you are a tourist however, these laws would not apply to you. I do agree with Aliza, DLJ would be able to provide better insight about Malaysia. Good luck you infidel and be careful.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like izel's post
30-04-2016, 11:54 PM
RE: Could posting anti-theist social media comments ban you from entering a country?
(30-04-2016 11:08 PM)izel Wrote:  

I would love to visit some countries which happen to have the death penalty for atheism, namely some South East Asian countries. I am anti-theist and in the past I have made a large number of comments on YouTube which have been anti religion and anti the religion of the countries in question.

I am worried that for some reason I would be stopped at the airport on arrival and banned from entry or even worse... I am not sure if this is a real risk or not as nowadays it seems like you have no privacy on the internet at all and that they may be able to trace the comments back to me.

Am I being paranoid or is this something I should be worried about? I know these countries can be strict on religion and although I would be very respectful when in the country towards other cultures and beliefs I am worried that it would cause a problem.

Here is the list of countries where Atheism is punishable by death: Afghanistan, Iran, Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritania, Nigeria, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, United Arab Emirates and Yemen. With the exception of Pakistan, those countries all allow for capital punishment against apostasy, i.e., the renunciation of a particular religion. Pakistan, meanwhile, imposes the death penalty for blasphemy, which can obviously include disbelief in God. Now, if you are a tourist however, these laws would not apply to you. I do agree with Aliza, DLJ would be able to provide better insight about Malaysia. Good luck you infidel and be careful.

I would say being careful would imply not visiting those countries in the first place. Tongue

Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
12-05-2016, 05:18 PM
(30-04-2016 11:08 PM)izel Wrote:  

Thank you, so to clarify you are saying that I will be okay and that the only country there may be a problem with is Pakistan?

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
13-05-2016, 07:58 AM
(30-04-2016 08:45 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Must've come back to bite them on the ass, since they still rely on "The Great Satan" to get the work done properly. There's a moral in there, somewhere.

Money talks louder than God. American Christians have been complaining about this, here for decades. This is probably the natural evolution of conflicting view when one promises you food and material possessions now and the other promises rewards after you die.
13-05-2016, 08:49 AM
(13-05-2016 07:58 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(30-04-2016 08:45 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Must've come back to bite them on the ass, since they still rely on "The Great Satan" to get the work done properly. There's a moral in there, somewhere.

Money talks louder than God. American Christians have been complaining about this, here for decades. This is probably the natural evolution of conflicting view when one promises you food and material possessions now and the other promises rewards after you die.

True enough! Xtians are just going to have to deal. The survival imperative should outweigh the alleged "spiritual" woo, given the amount of death it has caused.
13-05-2016, 01:21 PM
(13-05-2016 08:49 AM)Fireball Wrote:  True enough! Xtians are just going to have to deal. The survival imperative should outweigh the alleged "spiritual" woo, given the amount of death it has caused.

It already does. Talk to any Christian who believes in guardian angels/a protector god. They are pretty much certain to buckle their seat belts when they get in a car and look both ways before they cross the street. Sure, they've rationalized this behavior as both "it doesn't work that way" and "don't test the Lord your God", but at the end of the day, they ensure their own survival; guardian angels/protector gods only get pulled out either post hoc after a lucky break or when praying to get over an illness.

The fancy name for this is compartmentalization.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post