Could someone who speaks German help me with this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Could someone who speaks German help me with this?
I don't speak any German and I don't know anyone who does (at least no one who could tell me what I wanted for sure) so I came to the only place where I could possibly find one to give me a serious answer Blush

I just want the main info on this article

http://www.suedkurier.de/region/kreis-ko...61,4954866

Not a full translation, I'm mostly interested in this guy's life and children, especially if it is true (what I understand from Google Translate) that he had two sons, one of them adopted and that they visited an exhibition of his works in 1991.

You see, this guy there is my great-great-grandpa and I've finally found some information on him (my grandma died quite young and her father divorced her mother early, so we didn't have a lot of information on that side of the family) and from what I can tell, he is quite important in that city (they even named the street he lived in after him, who knew?).
All this started when I found a leaflet in a photo frame at my grandma's house with his name on it, I recognized the last name and wondered who he was, so I looked him up.

Help, please?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2013, 02:18 PM
RE: Could someone who speaks German help me with this?
(26-08-2013 02:01 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I don't speak any German and I don't know anyone who does (at least no one who could tell me what I wanted for sure) so I came to the only place where I could possibly find one to give me a serious answer Blush

I just want the main info on this article

http://www.suedkurier.de/region/kreis-ko...61,4954866

Not a full translation, I'm mostly interested in this guy's life and children, especially if it is true (what I understand from Google Translate) that he had two sons, one of them adopted and that they visited an exhibition of his works in 1991.

You see, this guy there is my great-great-grandpa and I've finally found some information on him (my grandma died quite young and her father divorced her mother early, so we didn't have a lot of information on that side of the family) and from what I can tell, he is quite important in that city (they even named the street he lived in after him, who knew?).
All this started when I found a leaflet in a photo frame at my grandma's house with his name on it, I recognized the last name and wondered who he was, so I looked him up.

Help, please?

I have a basic understanding of german, so I can translate it for you roughly, but it will take some time. Your best bet would be to get a german or austrian to do it. However, I know only two german speaking members, and both seem to be away. I could do this for you for shits and giggles because I have nothing to do, but if someone comes up with an answer while I'm working on it, I won't bother. But I'll see what I can do for now.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
26-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Thank you! However it's ok if you don't really feel like it, I guess someone else will show up!

-Guybrush Threepwood-
26-08-2013, 02:27 PM
I opened the article with Google and the translate button appeared on the top right, after clicking it took only a moment for the English translation to come up.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
26-08-2013, 02:29 PM
(26-08-2013 02:20 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Thank you! However it's ok if you don't really feel like it, I guess someone else will show up!

I couldn't find much of him anywhere else, except a small mention in wikipedia that doesn't tell me anything. looks like i have to do the hard way.

26-08-2013, 02:35 PM
(26-08-2013 02:27 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I opened the article with Google and the translate button appeared on the top right, after clicking it took only a moment for the English translation to come up.

You mean the amazingly reliable automatic translation?

-Guybrush Threepwood-
26-08-2013, 02:40 PM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2013 02:52 PM by Taro.)
German here Smile

I can translate the rest tomorrow (going to sleep now Tongue), but I quickly translated the short paragraph about his family.

He spent a big part of his life in the orient, mostly Egypt. He met his wife Maria Jud in Kairo and married her in Nizza in 1911. During WW I, he was held prison on Malta. 1912 he moved to his wife's family in Stockach. They lived in poor conditions. Out of four (biological) children, only one son survived. One died in a motorcycle accident. Two children died during infancy, so they took care of a foster child.

[Image: panda_0077.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Taro's post
26-08-2013, 02:44 PM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2013 02:51 PM by ELK12695.)
(26-08-2013 02:35 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(26-08-2013 02:27 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I opened the article with Google and the translate button appeared on the top right, after clicking it took only a moment for the English translation to come up.

You mean the amazingly reliable automatic translation?

No no, I know his story now.

Your great-great grandfather was a painter that lived most his life in Egypt, before he met his wife there. Then they moved to Stockarch for what I know (stockarch is a river). He was a good painter, but he lived poor, and often had use his paintings to pay for the rent. He was a vegan and died from what I think is food poisoning the 4 of september 1938. His paintings where first truly acknowledged when a town offical saw his paintings and requested an exhibition, and got it in 1991.

He also had one of his more famous paintings inside an inn called "the loin" or something. That was until the inn was torn down to build a church.

26-08-2013, 02:55 PM
(26-08-2013 02:44 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(26-08-2013 02:35 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  You mean the amazingly reliable automatic translation?

No no, I know his story now.

Your great-great grandfather was a painter that lived most his life in Egypt, before he met his wife there. Then they moved to Stockarch for what I know (stockarch is a river). He was a good painter, but he lived poor, and often had use his paintings to pay for the rent. He was a vegan and died from what I think is food poisoning the 4 of september 1938. His paintings where first truly acknowledged when a town offical saw his paintings and requested an exhibition, and got it in 1991.

He also had one of his more famous paintings inside an inn called "the loin" or something. That was until the inn was torn down to build a church.

Almost Smile He was a vegetarian, and he was generally in poor health. He died of either an ulcer or stomach cancer - back then they didn't differentiate.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
26-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Thank you guys! The leaflet could very possibly be from that exhibition, I'll have to check if there's any date on it.
So one of the sons was adopted. Now I wonder if I'm actually related to him... Maybe my great-grandfather was the foster son... I wish I will be able to find out one day.

-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post