Could you ever go back?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2011, 01:08 PM

RE: Could you ever go back?
If presented with unequivocal evidence of whatever it might be i used to believe, be it religious or otherwise, sure i'd change my mind.

But, as Carl Sagan said; Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2011, 05:21 PM
I grew up in a Christian home and attended church until sometime after college. In fact my university was a Christian institution. About 10 years after my undergrad I began my graduate degree. During this period I finally began letting myself question my belief. My scientific interest drove me to read more on theoretical physics. Writers like Michio Kaku and Brian Green gave me facts and reason over childhood stories. From there I went on to read Dawkins, Hitchens & Harris. My atheism is a newer experience. It has changed my outlook on life. I have gone from a right-wing conservative to very liberal (though not a Dem. I hate the political parties). I still am bothered by earlier things that I have spouted. I have attributed my other self to self imposed ignorance. I would never want to go back to that.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
— Christopher Hitchens
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes gamsman's post
06-05-2011, 06:42 PM

Seeing as I was never a believer in the first place, I couldn't really go back. But as many people had said before me, that if god reveals himself to the world, I would still probably not believe. I think I would be more inclined to believe an advanced alien race after studying our planet and primitive race thought it would be hilarious to fake the event in order to make some truly unscripted and wonderful intergalactic television.
Of course I base this on absolutely nothing.
06-05-2011, 07:17 PM
(06-05-2011 05:21 PM)gamsman Wrote:  I grew up in a Christian home and attended church until sometime after college. In fact my university was a Christian institution. About 10 years after my undergrad I began my graduate degree. During this period I finally began letting myself question my belief. My scientific interest drove me to read more on theoretical physics. Writers like Michio Kaku and Brian Green gave me facts and reason over childhood stories. From there I went on to read Dawkins, Hitchens & Harris. My atheism is a newer experience. It has changed my outlook on life. I have gone from a right-wing conservative to very liberal (though not a Dem. I hate the political parties). I still am bothered by earlier things that I have spouted. I have attributed my other self to self imposed ignorance. I would never want to go back to that.

Welcome to the club Smile

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2011, 09:16 AM
You notice that the pattern is always 1. Started reading more and questioning things 2. Became smarter 3. Became an atheist

It's never 1. Suffered a traumatic head injury 2. Became an atheist

Or 1. Dropped out of high school and became a plumber 2. Developed an affinity for Nascar 3. Became an atheist

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
07-05-2011, 06:39 PM
My Dad's a creationist and he says that he was an Atheist at my age and reckons I'll grow out of it or something like that. I'm officially declaring here my wish to be killed if I ever turn religious so if I ever start trolling creationist crap on here then you all know what to do Big Grin

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
07-05-2011, 06:44 PM
(07-05-2011 06:39 PM)hughsie Wrote:  My Dad's a creationist and he says that he was an Atheist at my age and reckons I'll grow out of it or something like that. I'm officially declaring here my wish to be killed if I ever turn religious so if I ever start trolling creationist crap on here then you all know what to do Big Grin

It's what we'd all want for ourselves Tongue

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
08-05-2011, 12:57 AM
I don't think I could ever go back. There's too much about the world that I understand now. My awareness has expanded to the point where it would no longer fit within the confines of religious belief.

For God so loved the world that he arranged for everyone to both have free will and to suffer the terrible consequences of making the wrong choice. Kind of a dick move, God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-05-2011, 08:17 PM

Could you ever go back? How? Knowing what I know I would have to receive some kind of head trauma that completely disrupts my sense of reason to ever believe in such a make-believe story again.
I think that these "atheists" who return simply hadn't done enough research.