Couldn't he have just, you know, stopped the hurricane?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2013, 03:38 PM
RE: Couldn't he have just, you know, stopped the hurricane?
(13-11-2013 12:19 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(13-11-2013 12:07 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  After all, you are wiser than God, the God who asks where you were when He made the universe.

I personally wasn't around , but I hear some guys were herding sheep over at the middle east at the time.

I heard the same thing. Wasn't that about 1000 years after the Sumerians invented glue?

(13-11-2013 12:07 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  *If you want to subtract God from the equation (or not) hurricanes serve ecological refinement purposes that have little to do with dead humans, e.g. the topics at this page:

http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2012/08/th...s-and.html

and of course, you are really just whining about how your sense of justice and your moral compass is askew from a severe rainstorm. After all, you are wiser than God, the God who asks where you were when He made the universe.

I think you're missing the point. Natural events that serve a purpose while being indifferent to human suffering is exactly what you'd expect to find in a world without God.

Our "sense of justice" is not offended by the storm, but rather by a supposedly loving God's indifference to his children's prayers for divine protection. About 93% of Filipino's are Christians, so of the 2,275 confirmed dead so far, 2,116 were abandoned by their invisible friend just when they needed him most.

Meanwhile, God helped a Facebook friend of mine get an A on another test.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
13-11-2013, 04:02 PM
(13-11-2013 03:38 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I think you're missing the point. Natural events that serve a purpose while being indifferent to human suffering is exactly what you'd expect to find in a world without God.

Our "sense of justice" is not offended by the storm, but rather by a supposedly loving God's indifference to his children's prayers for divine protection. About 93% of Filipino's are Christians, so of the 2,275 confirmed dead so far, 2,116 were abandoned by their invisible friend just when they needed him most.

Everyone dies and theists and atheists apparently don't have a problem with that. But for some reason atheists think that if God exists, then nobody should die in superstorms. I never understood that logic. Does it really matter how you die?
13-11-2013, 04:13 PM
(13-11-2013 12:07 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  *When God chooses not to intervene He is 1) exercising His free will and His prerogative 2) working on human affairs for their highest and best overall once you add Heaven, Hell, redemption and the Fall into the mix.

1) Proving he is either not benevolent or not omnipotent (if you believe he exists in the first place).

2) With that logic anything that kills people is a force for good, surely we shouldn't be searching for better treatments for cancer then.

(13-11-2013 12:07 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  and of course, you are really just whining about how your sense of justice and your moral compass is askew from a severe rainstorm. After all, you are wiser than God, the God who asks where you were when He made the universe.

Yes, my moral compass says people dying is a bad thing. Apparently yours does not. What a twisted world you live in.

Proof a god made the universe: None. I am wiser than your god, and any other being that doesn't exist. It's rather evident that your imaginary friend doesn't intervene at all.

A truly omnipotent and benevolent god would create an environment where everyone could live out their lives to the fullest. Not one where babies don't even make it out of the womb alive, where they die shortly after birth, or before the age they even become conscious. Where people never fill their stomachs, and look like skeletons with skin. Yes, this god surely is loving. You must hate the world a lot for you to attempt to justify all this suffering.

But it's all good right? In heaven they will be rewarded for the meals they didn't get, the lives they didn't get to live. God has a function which determines how much you get to enjoy heaven, the more suffering, the more you enjoy it. The more pain you endured, the bigger your mansion! What a nice god.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post
13-11-2013, 04:16 PM
(13-11-2013 04:02 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Everyone dies and theists and atheists apparently don't have a problem with that. But for some reason atheists think that if God exists, then nobody should die in superstorms. I never understood that logic. Does it really matter how you die?
Logic behind it is that if omnipotent and omnibenevolent god existed , superstorms wouldn't exist, thus nobody would die in them.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 2 users Like Slowminded's post
13-11-2013, 04:20 PM
(13-11-2013 04:02 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Everyone dies and theists and atheists apparently don't have a problem with that. But for some reason atheists think that if God exists, then nobody should die in superstorms. I never understood that logic. Does it really matter how you die?

What kind of plan from a benevolent god would involve allowing death to come to those who had not yet had a full life?

13-11-2013, 04:29 PM
(13-11-2013 04:20 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  

What kind of plan from a benevolent god would involve allowing death to come to those who had not yet had a full life?

Who made you god such that you can decide how long people should live?
13-11-2013, 04:31 PM
(13-11-2013 04:29 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(13-11-2013 04:20 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  What kind of plan from a benevolent god would involve allowing death to come to those who had not yet had a full life?

Who made you god such that you can decide how long people should live?

So you think a few years is a full life then?

13-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Couldn't he have just, you know, stopped the hurricane?
(13-11-2013 04:31 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  
(13-11-2013 04:29 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Who made you god such that you can decide how long people should live?

Who made God God?
[+] 1 user Likes black_squirrel's post
13-11-2013, 05:47 PM
(13-11-2013 04:31 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  
(13-11-2013 04:29 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Who made you god such that you can decide how long people should live?

Car accidents make a bigger impact on the mortality rates of human beings then this storm did.
13-11-2013, 05:54 PM
(13-11-2013 05:47 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(13-11-2013 04:31 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  So you think a few years is a full life then?

Car accidents make a bigger impact on the mortality rates of human beings then this storm did.

And your 'benevolent and omnipotent' god does just as good a job preventing them as he did this hurricane.

[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post