Couldn't he have just, you know, stopped the hurricane?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2013, 05:59 PM
RE: Couldn't he have just, you know, stopped the hurricane?
(13-11-2013 05:54 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  
(13-11-2013 05:47 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Car accidents make a bigger impact on the mortality rates of human beings then this storm did.

And your 'benevolent and omnipotent' god does just as good a job preventing them as he did this hurricane.

Why should God prevent those deaths? If God made it that so nobody died, the entire mass of the earth would eventually be converted to a big ball of throbbing human beings. People have to die in this system....what is wrong with dying in a typhoon?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2013, 06:02 PM
(13-11-2013 05:59 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(13-11-2013 05:54 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  And your 'benevolent and omnipotent' god does just as good a job preventing them as he did this hurricane.

Why should God prevent those deaths? If God made it that so nobody died, the entire mass of the earth would eventually be converted to a big ball of throbbing human beings.

Because he's suppose to be benevolent and omnipotent. Are you reading anything in this thread at all? If he truly had those characteristics he could make ample room for the increasing population. I also never said people had to live forever.

Christians either have to admit that their god has very limited power over the world, or that he's a dick.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

13-11-2013, 06:05 PM
(13-11-2013 06:02 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  
(13-11-2013 05:59 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Why should God prevent those deaths? If God made it that so nobody died, the entire mass of the earth would eventually be converted to a big ball of throbbing human beings.

Because he's suppose to be benevolent and omnipotent. Are you reading anything in this thread at all? If he truly had those characteristics he could make ample room for the increasing population. I also never said people had to live forever.

So now your arguing that God could have been a better God if he made the world bigger and made lifespans longer?

If He had, you'd still be here arguing he didn't make it big enough and that people died needlessly.

The world is finite. People need to die so that others may live. What is evil about dying in a typhoon?
13-11-2013, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2013 06:18 PM by Adenosis.)
(13-11-2013 06:05 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(13-11-2013 06:02 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  Because he's suppose to be benevolent and omnipotent. Are you reading anything in this thread at all? If he truly had those characteristics he could make ample room for the increasing population. I also never said people had to live forever.

So now your arguing that God could have been a better God if he made the world bigger and made lifespans longer?

If he had the characteristics Christians say he does then yes he could have.

(13-11-2013 06:05 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If He had, you'd still be here arguing he didn't make it big enough and that people died needlessly.

If the entire population got to live roughly the same length of time, and under similar conditions, then no I wouldn't be.

(13-11-2013 06:05 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The world is finite. People need to die so that others may live. What is evil about dying in a typhoon?

The dying young part.

Edit: Plus the pain, the suffering, I'm sure those people (at least not most of them) didn't die instantly.

13-11-2013, 06:52 PM
(13-11-2013 06:11 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  If the entire population got to live roughly the same length of time, and under similar conditions, then no I wouldn't be.

The dying young part.

Edit: Plus the pain, the suffering, I'm sure those people (at least not most of them) didn't die instantly.

Young people die every day, so what does the Typhoon has to do with it?

What this really looks like to me is a bunch of atheists trying to use the misery and suffering of people involved in this tragedy/natural disaster to masterbate on the "silliness of Christians".

Its really kinda sickening. You people should be ashamed of yourselves.
13-11-2013, 07:36 PM
(13-11-2013 06:52 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Young people die every day, so what does the Typhoon has to do with it?

Shocking How dense can you get? It's no wonder a great deal of the forum has simply stopped replying to your posts. What a waste of space.

"Young people die every day"

My point exactly, your god sucks.

[+] 3 users Like Adenosis's post
13-11-2013, 08:12 PM
(13-11-2013 04:02 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(13-11-2013 03:38 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I think you're missing the point. Natural events that serve a purpose while being indifferent to human suffering is exactly what you'd expect to find in a world without God.

Our "sense of justice" is not offended by the storm, but rather by a supposedly loving God's indifference to his children's prayers for divine protection. About 93% of Filipino's are Christians, so of the 2,275 confirmed dead so far, 2,116 were abandoned by their invisible friend just when they needed him most.

Everyone dies and theists and atheists apparently don't have a problem with that. But for some reason atheists think that if God exists, then nobody should die in superstorms. I never understood that logic. Does it really matter how you die?
It's not just about death, but also suffering. Countless people lost everything they owned. Those same people have no place to return to work to even begin rebuilding. Countless people were seriously injured. Countless people are suffering emotionally because they don't know IF their loved ones are still living or WHERE they might be if they are alive at all. And regarding death itself, there's the matter of the manner of death here. Does it really matter how you die? No. Does it really matter how you die if there is an omnipotent, all-loving god who could easily make dying quick and painless? (Oh yeah, that was the real question... Rolleyes ) Yes.

Heywood, if you could have done anything to seriously protect those people from this typhoon - to prevent them from the suffering, deaths, and losses - would you have sat idly by and done nothing? If yes, you're awfully cold! If no, then why not and why do you let your god off so easily?

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
13-11-2013, 08:12 PM
(13-11-2013 07:36 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  
(13-11-2013 06:52 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Young people die every day, so what does the Typhoon has to do with it?

Shocking How dense can you get? It's no wonder a great deal of the forum has simply stopped replying to your posts. What a waste of space.

"Young people die every day"

My point exactly, your god sucks.

What is wrong with young people dying if those young people live on in the afterlife?
13-11-2013, 08:22 PM
(13-11-2013 08:12 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Heywood, if you could have done anything to seriously protect those people from this typhoon - to prevent them from the suffering, deaths, and losses - would you have sat idly by and done nothing? If yes, you're awfully cold! If no, then why not and why do you let your god off so easily?

In your hypothetical, what is my role in the world? Am I God or a human who can prevent deaths and suffering?
14-11-2013, 02:16 AM
(13-11-2013 08:12 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  What is wrong with young people dying if those young people live on in the afterlife?

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the understatement of the week.

Please substantiate the existence of a paradise in the afterlife (or indeed, of any afterlife) BEFORE you start to use it to argue for divine benevolence. Dodgy

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post