Couldn't he have just, you know, stopped the hurricane?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2013, 12:16 PM
RE: Couldn't he have just, you know, stopped the hurricane?
(14-11-2013 11:22 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  There is outrage at God's allowing a typhoon.

Are you admiring of God for allowing beautiful babies to be born, too?

Do you take such severe offense at the Filipino home builders and their government who allowed substandard, shoddy buildings such as would never have been built in the US or UK to "stand"?

You can not seem to get it through the layers of delusion in your head that no one here is outraged at god for anything whatsoever because we don't believe there is a god.

Any outrage is directed at people like you who try to justify a belief in a benevolent god in the face of all of the contrary evidence.

Your delusions prevent you from thinking clearly.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
14-11-2013, 12:25 PM
(14-11-2013 11:22 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  There is outrage at God's allowing a typhoon.

I'm assuming in this "allowing beautiful babies to be born" argument, you're also factoring in "allowing" babies to be stillborn, births with defects, births with mental retardation, mothers who die during delivery, mothers who have to be cut open to allow for delivery <<insert intelligent design argument here>>, babies who are born and discarded, through adoption, abandonment, or murder, and not EVEN including "beautiful babies" that are born into impoverished families that are pretty much guaranteed to die of starvation, malaria, AIDS, etc.

Cuz that's alot to take into account before one can just "admire" the allowance of beautiful babies to be born.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Jasozz's post
14-11-2013, 12:46 PM
(13-11-2013 08:22 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(13-11-2013 08:12 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Heywood, if you could have done anything to seriously protect those people from this typhoon - to prevent them from the suffering, deaths, and losses - would you have sat idly by and done nothing? If yes, you're awfully cold! If no, then why not and why do you let your god off so easily?

In your hypothetical, what is my role in the world? Am I God or a human who can prevent deaths and suffering?
I was thinking you're you, so a human (but I'm not sure why it really makes any difference regarding what you would do).

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
14-11-2013, 01:26 PM
(13-11-2013 08:12 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(13-11-2013 07:36 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  Shocking How dense can you get? It's no wonder a great deal of the forum has simply stopped replying to your posts. What a waste of space.

"Young people die every day"

My point exactly, your god sucks.

What is wrong with young people dying if those young people live on in the afterlife?

1) That's the same mindset that led to the saying "Kill them all and let God sort them out." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnaud_Amalric Hardly a shining example of Christian morality...

2) Where are all those young people spending their afterlife? If even one gets to burn in hell for an eternity because they didn't live long enough to hear the "good news," then dying young didn't do them any favors.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
14-11-2013, 02:15 PM

Indeed. Just the same way that I admire when he gives a young kid Tay Sachs. It's a good thing humans came up with a way to screen for that shit and try to mitigate the problem.

The problem here is you are coming up with an asymmetric system to praise God for all the good and to assume that all the bad exists because of [mysterious ways] and is actually good. It's impossible to objectively analyze the situation when you are operating under that kind of level of cognitive dissonance.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
14-11-2013, 02:49 PM
(14-11-2013 12:25 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  

I'm assuming in this "allowing beautiful babies to be born" argument, you're also factoring in "allowing" babies to be stillborn, births with defects, births with mental retardation, mothers who die during delivery, mothers who have to be cut open to allow for delivery <<insert intelligent design argument here>>, babies who are born and discarded, through adoption, abandonment, or murder, and not EVEN including "beautiful babies" that are born into impoverished families that are pretty much guaranteed to die of starvation, malaria, AIDS, etc.

Cuz that's alot to take into account before one can just "admire" the allowance of beautiful babies to be born.

Obviously, Jasozz, you've never been in the presence of a beautiful baby. I'm sorry you've lived an underpriviliged life surrounded by ugly babies.
14-11-2013, 02:51 PM
(14-11-2013 02:49 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(14-11-2013 12:25 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  I'm assuming in this "allowing beautiful babies to be born" argument, you're also factoring in "allowing" babies to be stillborn, births with defects, births with mental retardation, mothers who die during delivery, mothers who have to be cut open to allow for delivery <<insert intelligent design argument here>>, babies who are born and discarded, through adoption, abandonment, or murder, and not EVEN including "beautiful babies" that are born into impoverished families that are pretty much guaranteed to die of starvation, malaria, AIDS, etc.

Obviously, Jasozz, you've never been in the presence of a beautiful baby. I'm sorry you've lived an underpriviliged life surrounded by ugly babies.

Your response is absurd.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-11-2013, 02:52 PM
(14-11-2013 02:15 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  

Indeed. Just the same way that I admire when he gives a young kid Tay Sachs. It's a good thing humans came up with a way to screen for that shit and try to mitigate the problem.

The problem here is you are coming up with an asymmetric system to praise God for all the good and to assume that all the bad exists because of [mysterious ways] and is actually good. It's impossible to objectively analyze the situation when you are operating under that kind of level of cognitive dissonance.

Tay Sachs disease, eh? No one will ever accuse atheists of having half-full glasses in their world paradigms.
14-11-2013, 02:52 PM
(14-11-2013 02:49 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(14-11-2013 12:25 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  I'm assuming in this "allowing beautiful babies to be born" argument, you're also factoring in "allowing" babies to be stillborn, births with defects, births with mental retardation, mothers who die during delivery, mothers who have to be cut open to allow for delivery <<insert intelligent design argument here>>, babies who are born and discarded, through adoption, abandonment, or murder, and not EVEN including "beautiful babies" that are born into impoverished families that are pretty much guaranteed to die of starvation, malaria, AIDS, etc.

Wow, that was a compelling follow-up to the flow of conversation th-

Hey waaaait a second, you didn't contribute at all, you just insulted me in a roundabout way. And also insulted all of the babies I've ever been in the presence of in my life.

I offer a valid point, and you INSULT BABIES?

How could you. Sadcryface
14-11-2013, 02:57 PM
(14-11-2013 02:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-11-2013 02:49 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Obviously, Jasozz, you've never been in the presence of a beautiful baby. I'm sorry you've lived an underpriviliged life surrounded by ugly babies.

Your response is absurd.

No, my response is charming, humorous, and yet, profoundly insightful and delicious. If I was given to fantasy, I'd still want to grow up to be me.

Your lack of humor is absurd and your severity with me and all others as gifted and talented as me is picayune. Please undergo "laugh therapy" somewhere.

Or just stay as charming as ever so I can send the world to this forum and say, "See how (un)happy atheists really are." You don't even smile when holding that pretty cat.

Maybe I should have rephrased to "when you cursed a god who doesn't exist for making a hurricane you are sure is real and not some kind of existential illusion, did you praise this god or the universe or cats for making so many beautiful cats today?"

Is that any better, mon capitan of curmudgeons? I'm ashamed to call myself and others Cratheists.