Couple denied service at cake shoppe due to being "abominations of the lord"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2013, 05:47 PM
RE: Couple denied service at cake shoppe due to being "abominations of the lord"
(04-02-2013 05:34 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  christian 1: Not trying to be snarky, promise. Just wondering if discrimination against a business owner's religious beliefs is illegal too.....?

Hobbitgirl: So if they didn't like black people (for religious reasons) it would be okay to deny services?

Christian 1 I don't know of any religion in the US that discriminates racially, so wouldn't this be a moot point?

Hobbitgirl: Should read that bible again then

Lmao priceless. What'd Christian 1 Say next!?

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2013, 05:51 PM
RE: Couple denied service at cake shoppe due to being "abominations of the lord"
(04-02-2013 05:47 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 05:34 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  christian 1: Not trying to be snarky, promise. Just wondering if discrimination against a business owner's religious beliefs is illegal too.....?

Hobbitgirl: So if they didn't like black people (for religious reasons) it would be okay to deny services?

Christian 1 I don't know of any religion in the US that discriminates racially, so wouldn't this be a moot point?

Hobbitgirl: Should read that bible again then

Lmao priceless. What'd Christian 1 Say next!?
Not a hell of a lot. Basically they should have been more creative to avoid the legal aspect of it all....

Christian 1: That's kind of an extreme stance. I'm not saying that discrimination shouldn't be illegal. I'm just saying that who a business owner chooses to serve should be up to them. With an absolute, no-discrimination stance, technically you, as a business owner, would have to service someone who killed your dog. This business owner was stupid, quite frankly. There were a number of ways of turning away this particular customer without offending her.

Another christian then pops in with this:

Christian 2: In the end, people need to be less concerned with themselves and more concerned about their fellow man. People are selfish and self absorbed. Both sides "want" something -- neither willing to give.

But forcing someone to go against their religious views creates a lot animosity and no one wins.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
04-02-2013, 06:05 PM
All this over a cake. It's just silly if you ask me. Especially in today's economy. I don't get it.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
04-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Stores used to all have signs in them stating that they have the right to refuse service to anyone.

As a privately owned business, I suppose they are in their rights not to make the wedding cake. I am sure they think they are standing up for what they believe.

I believe the couple should find another bakery.

When I ran across a store owner that "didn't need money from blacks" (though that's not the word he used), I figured he didn't need my money either and went elsewhere...why would I want to fatten his pockets...backward ass.

That stance may be unpopular, but I say go elsewhere. The publicity will lose them business and gain them business, so it's a wash. Chic-Fil-A is still alive and well if the line around it at lunch is any indication.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
04-02-2013, 06:20 PM
(04-02-2013 06:12 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Stores used to all have signs in them stating that they have the right to refuse service to anyone.

As a privately owned business, I suppose they are in their rights not to make the wedding cake. I am sure they think they are standing up for what they believe.

I believe the couple should find another bakery.

When I ran across a store owner that "didn't need money from blacks" (though that's not the word he used), I figured he didn't need my money either and went elsewhere...why would I want to fatten his pockets...backward ass.

That stance may be unpopular, but I say go elsewhere. The publicity will lose them business and gain them business, so it's a wash. Chic-Fil-A is still alive and well if the line around it at lunch is any indication.
According to the article the business owner said business is booming since this happened. *ugh*

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
04-02-2013, 06:53 PM
This kind of bullshit that makes me sick to my stomach. It's a fucking cake, you don't have to watch the couple have sex or anything, you have to bake a fucking cake. The owners are christians, the cakes are not religious. Even if it's legal to do so, it still makes them assholes, and I see it on the same level as denying services to black people or asians.

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get gay married. I don't think baking a cake for gay people even constitutes support of gay marriage. They should just shut up and realize gay people's money is as green as anyone else's. But no, they have to be loud and hateful, instead of merely hateful.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like amyb's post
04-02-2013, 06:59 PM
(04-02-2013 06:53 PM)amyb Wrote:  This kind of bullshit that makes me sick to my stomach. It's a fucking cake, you don't have to watch the couple have sex or anything, you have to bake a fucking cake. The owners are christians, the cakes are not religious. Even if it's legal to do so, it still makes them assholes, and I see it on the same level as denying services to black people or asians.

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get gay married. I don't think baking a cake for gay people even constitutes support of gay marriage. They should just shut up and realize gay people's money is as green as anyone else's. But no, they have to be loud and hateful, instead of merely hateful.
Totally agree. A wiccan friend of mine is telling the christian lady now that the shop owners should have just killed the gay couple...since thats what the bible says to do....shes not taking to kindly to that idea.

[+] 4 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
04-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Silly Christians! Cakes have no opinions on sexual orientation.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
04-02-2013, 07:10 PM
(04-02-2013 07:08 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Silly Christians! Cakes have no opinions on sexual orientation.

But tarts do. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Mostly, I think it's their business to sell cakes, not to pass judgment on who's marrying who.

Kind of the same way I feel about pharmacists who deny people birth control. They're in the business of selling health care products, not enforcing their religious views on BC on everyone who shops there.

I mean, what's next? Denying dry-cleaning services to people who wear poly/cotton blend fabrics? Cashiers denying the sale of shellfish to grocery customers?
[+] 3 users Like amyb's post