Couple denied service at cake shoppe due to being "abominations of the lord"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2013, 04:21 PM
RE: Couple denied service at cake shoppe due to being "abominations of the lord"
(04-02-2013 06:53 PM)amyb Wrote:  This kind of bullshit that makes me sick to my stomach. It's a fucking cake, you don't have to watch the couple have sex or anything, you have to bake a fucking cake. The owners are christians, the cakes are not religious. Even if it's legal to do so, it still makes them assholes, and I see it on the same level as denying services to black people or asians.

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get gay married. I don't think baking a cake for gay people even constitutes support of gay marriage. They should just shut up and realize gay people's money is as green as anyone else's. But no, they have to be loud and hateful, instead of merely hateful.

I could not agree more with you here. In a perfect world, none of this would exist. Unfortunately, we get all sorts in this world. I'd definitely just take my business elsewhere.

Regards,
Lucius

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2013, 12:34 PM
RE: Couple denied service at cake shoppe due to being "abominations of the lord"
Oh boy. This made me angry. Discrimination is obnoxious. I'm tempted to learn how to bake, open my own bakery and every hetero couple that comes in will be turned away. It can be called "Home-'O-Bakery Goods." Smartass

Not really, but, COME ON! I don't like that the bakery got so much praise and support because of this. If people can't discriminate against people because of the color of their skin due to "religious beliefs," then this can't be used in this case.

OOOHH! What if an atheist couple came in??? That would be interesting Shy

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
25-02-2013, 12:49 PM
".....They can't be serious."

Let me ask you a question about a real scenario that has happened to me. I used to own an electronics company and one of the things I sold and installed was audio equipment. Because of this, I occasionally got calls from churches who were looking to add or install new audio equipment in their chapels, etc.

Do you think it's within my rights to refuse to sell to a church or other faith based entity? Is it discrimination? If so, should it be against the law? And.. if so, why?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-02-2013, 01:02 PM
(25-02-2013 12:49 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  ".....They can't be serious."

Let me ask you a question about a real scenario that has happened to me. I used to own an electronics company and one of the things I sold and installed was audio equipment. Because of this, I occasionally got calls from churches who were looking to add or install new audio equipment in their chapels, etc.

Do you think it's within my rights to refuse to sell to a church or other faith based entity? Is it discrimination? If so, should it be against the law? And.. if so, why?
I would be willing to provide the service to whomever came in to get it. I'm not going to tell them I won't help them because they don't believe as I do. I'm in the business to make money.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
25-02-2013, 02:18 PM
"I would be willing to provide the
service to whomever came in to get it. I'm not going to tell them I
won't help them because they don't believe as I do. I'm in the business
to make money."

That's a perfectly rational and valid way to look at it. However, it doesn't address the questions.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
25-02-2013, 02:36 PM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2013 03:01 PM by Peanut.)
(25-02-2013 02:18 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  "I would be willing to provide the
service to whomever came in to get it. I'm not going to tell them I
won't help them because they don't believe as I do. I'm in the business
to make money."

That's a perfectly rational and valid way to look at it. However, it doesn't address the questions.
I had a feeling you'd say that Dodgy I looked up laws regarding discrimination after you posted and tried to see if I could form an opinion based on your question.

When it comes to business discrimination, I see mostly articles about not being allowed to deny employment based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. The closest I came to knowing if it is truly unlawful to deny a service to a CUSTOMER is in the article below.

https://www.legalzoom.com/us-law/equal-r...se-service

It seems that business owners can refuse service if it is disruptive to the quality and/or safety of their clientele.
How is a gay couple hindering on the welfare of the bakery's regular clients?

Were the religious people who wanted you to sell them equipment disrupting your business? If they weren't hurting anyone, and even though you don't believe in a god, it should be against the law to deny them the same access to your goods/services that you would offer everyone else.

25-02-2013, 02:46 PM
"If they weren't hurting anyone, and even though you don't believe in a
god, it should be against the law to deny them the same access to your
goods/services that you would offer everyone else."

Thanks for the response. And for the record, I don't care what the laws say, I wanted your (and others) opinion.

So, you think it would be a good thing if a law made it mandatory that I sell to someone whom I believe is doing significant harm to society. If we follow the law to its logical conclusion and we assume that I plan to refuse selling to these people and refuse paying fines to the state for not selling to these people, the next thing that's going to happen is that a man in a blue costume is going to come to my place of business (or home) and attempt to kidnap me and put me in a cage. And if I further resist and even attempt to defend myself, he will shoot me. Thus, my son will be without a father, my wife without a husband, etc, etc, all because I wouldn't sell some amplifiers to a church.

Does that make any sense whatever?

25-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Why do I feel like this country is moving backwards....

[Image: Martin1.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
25-02-2013, 03:08 PM
(25-02-2013 02:46 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  So, you think it would be a good thing if a law made it mandatory that I sell to someone whom I believe is doing significant harm to society. If we follow the law to its logical conclusion and we assume that I plan to refuse selling to these people and refuse paying fines to the state for not selling to these people, the next thing that's going to happen is that a man in a blue costume is going to come to my place of business (or home) and attempt to kidnap me and put me in a cage. And if I further resist and even attempt to defend myself, he will shoot me. Thus, my son will be without a father, my wife without a husband, etc, etc, all because I wouldn't sell some amplifiers to a church.

Does that make any sense whatever?
Everything should be equal. It causes more harm in the long run to have discrimination based on religious beliefs allowed as a defense.

Can't we all just get along? Heart lol

25-02-2013, 04:57 PM
"Everything should be equal."

Why?