Coursera Free Education now up to 62 universities/331 courses/22 different fields

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2012, 04:50 PM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2013 05:47 PM by GirlyMan.)
Coursera Free Education now up to 62 universities/331 courses/22 different fields
So it's expanded from Stanford with a dozen or so courses to 111 courses from 16 top tier Universities. This is an excellent opportunity to get a free world class education on a vast number of topics. It's not self-paced. You watch the lectures on your own and have regular assignments with due dates, quizzes, and exams just like you're in the classroom. You don't get college credit (still gotta pay for that, and a fucking fortune for most of these Universities) but you get the knowledge and skills for free and a certificate from the instructor (not from the University) if you get at least 50% on the homework, exams, and quizzes. (And my work gives me credit for it as continuing education.)

Knowledge is power.
Bravo coursera and the participating Universities. Bravo. [Image: bravo-7466.gif]

Breathing - it's more art than science.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-07-2012, 04:58 PM
RE: Coursera Free Education now up to 16 universities and 111 courses
This sounds extremely awesome. As long as employers regard it the same I'd say it could eventually make universities sad/

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
19-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Legendary. I might just do one course Smile Great that they make you do homework. This way I will definitely complete it Smile
19-07-2012, 05:10 PM (This post was last modified: 19-07-2012 05:15 PM by GirlyMan.)
(19-07-2012 04:58 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  This sounds extremely awesome. As long as employers regard it the same I'd say it could eventually make universities sad/

My guess is that an employer which is looking for at least a Bachelor's degree is still gonna be looking for that to demonstrate capacity to learn a variety of different disciplines. But if the employer is just looking for specific knowledge, skills, and abilities or if your major is not in the specific area they're looking for, a bunch of these certificates should satisfy them. Haven't checked out all of the instructors here, but for the courses I took previously from Stanford the instructors were world renowned in their field.

Don't think the Universities need to worry about loss of income. It's great publicity and the classes are all at the Freshman or Sophomore level. Now if they start offering classes at the Junior or Senior level. ... Consider

(19-07-2012 05:09 PM)morondog Wrote:  Legendary. I might just do one course Smile Great that they make you do homework. This way I will definitely complete it Smile

That's the idea. Self-paced classes only work for the most dedicated among us and there's nobody grading you to give you independent validation at the end. But they're not for the faint of heart or the time-pressed. Based on my experience and observation of my colleagues who also took some, depending on your background in the particular field, you'll be spending anywhere from 10-40 hours/week on a single course.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
19-07-2012, 05:14 PM
... merged w/ previous

20-07-2012, 12:27 AM
Education is a ticket to freedom and independence. Big Grin
20-07-2012, 04:19 PM
may I add one, as well?
A friend gave me this hint: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/
It's for free as well.
They actually filmed the classes and put up the transcriptions of the classes.
The excercises and tests are available and there is some kind of forumish thing where you can find help if you can't complete an excersice.
I have started a course but lost interest when it started that I had to actually think about numbers. Numbers are scary..

In my opinion, education should be for free. I hate that university is so expensive if you wanna attend in person...

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
20-07-2012, 06:54 PM
(20-07-2012 04:19 PM)Leela Wrote:  may I add one, as well?

No Leela, you're not allowed. Big Grin

Only real differences are that coursera classes have time constraints where there's a bunch of people taking the course simultaneously like in a real classroom with deadlines and due dates and for many of them you get a certificate from the instructor. But kudos to MIT as well for offering up a shitload of their entire curriculum online.

Knowledge is power.

21-07-2012, 03:28 AM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2012 06:21 AM by earmuffs.)
As someone at university for self purposes (want to start my own business), where the fuck was this a year and a half ago?!

Just signed up for 3 of the courses actually.
They're American so they start half way through my semester but that's okay.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
05-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Coursera Free Education now up to 33 universities/217 courses/20 fields
New semester starting. Completely free high quality University-level courses. Many courses give certificates which more and more employers looking for specific skill sets who don't require a degree are recognizing. Now up to 217 courses in 20 different disciplines from 33 World-Class Universities.

I've taken several of these and can vouch for their excellence. Be prepared to work hard though. Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Motivational Books for athletic free thinker teens Slackerinto 3 66 30-04-2014 03:31 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  I Want a Free Pass to Punch One Specific person in the Face Peanut 5 244 10-02-2014 07:54 PM
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Where to get free shit BrokenQuill92 2 131 07-01-2014 07:56 AM
Last Post: Othmar
  Help design my new book cover, win a free copy! (This guy again?) Buddy Christ 34 1,031 26-11-2013 05:17 PM
Last Post: Buddy Christ
  Once off free pass. Target: Anyone BlackMason 33 674 10-11-2013 12:18 PM
Last Post: Ferdinand
  Tara Reid "learned a little education on sharks" Raptor Jesus 7 251 08-08-2013 10:04 AM
Last Post: nach_in
  Utah teachers attend free concealed weapons training class. germanyt 83 1,617 31-12-2012 03:11 AM
Last Post: Aseptic Skeptic