Coursera Free Education now up to 62 universities/331 courses/22 different fields

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2013, 11:50 PM
RE: Coursera Free Education now up to 33 universities/217 courses/20 different fields
Teh hard work is no lie. I had to give up on my course that I started last year. It's starting again today and I'm kinda keen to do it... but I'm not gonna be anywhere near so casual this time! Still debating though 'cos time-wise it's a lot...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2013, 12:01 PM
RE: Coursera Free Education now up to 16 universities and 111 courses
(19-07-2012 05:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That's the idea. Self-paced classes only work for the most dedicated among us and there's nobody grading you to give you independent validation at the end. But they're not for the faint of heart or the time-pressed. Based on my experience and observation of my colleagues who also took some, depending on your background in the particular field, you'll be spending anywhere from 10-40 hours/week on a single course.
Couldn't agree any more. Unfortunatley all my math (my most dreaded subject) classes thus far have been self-paced. I ALWAYS wind up trying to catchup at the end of the semester which will not work when I start having difficulty comprehending the material. Unfortunately they don't "teach" anymore. You go online (even in class) and do homework all day and raise your hand if you have questions. If you do have a question their attitude is if you are an imbecile. Of course I'm going to have questions, you didn't teach me anything! They rely on internet videos to teach, which cannot answer questions. Those pricks and prickettes are basically paid to babysit, fucking over-paid bitches. Okay, done ranting.

Thanks for sharing Girly. It's Unlikely that I will pursue a Masters degree anytime soon (still have quite a way to go to get B.S.) I would certainly consider taking some classes I find interesting after landing a job. Despite my rant, I do enjoy being a student.

28-03-2013, 05:44 PM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2013 05:59 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Coursera Free Education now up to 33 universities/217 courses/20 different fields
Bunch of new classes either just started or are about to start at Coursera.

This one in particular is much needed by more than one of our theist friends. (cough cough ... ego®, PleaseJesusIBegYouToBe ... cough cough)

And Unpredictable? Randomness, Chance and Free Will from the National University of Singapore looks really interesting, but it don't start 'til next January. Weeping

Breathing - it's more art than science.