Court decision on gay marriage would be good or bad?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
28-03-2013, 03:12 AM
RE: Court decision on gay marriage would be good or bad?
(28-03-2013 02:56 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(27-03-2013 10:29 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I also ultimately, think this will be seen as a tempest in a teapot. More and more people are opting out of marrage at all, or doing so later. As a "life-long" bond, it's already a fallacy, as 50 % end in divorce. Maybe a "temp" solution for those who want to raise children will be found, and civil unions for the rest, if they want it ?? The real question is not about marriage, but about equlality. I actually think the societal change in this area has come about breathtakingly fast. 50 years ago, no one would even discuss this subject AT ALL.

True equality can only be achieved by taking the state out of the marriage business. If George and Martha Washington did not need a marriage license why should Adam and Steve need one?

Except The washingtons did need a marriage license, we carried that over from british common law. There are 1,100 seperate federal laws dealing with marriage thats the problem. Everything from tax filing to estate planning is impacted by that legal status and that is all Marriage has ever been Legal status. Churches actualy didnt get into the whole marriage thing for quite some time, it originated as a property transaction between a father and a man buying his daughter.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2013, 08:53 AM
RE: Court decision on gay marriage would be good or bad?
I'm from Australia (not gay myself) and I seriously can't believe that gay marriage has not been approved here. Our PM Julia Gillard is atheist (thus no religious influence) yet party members think that she is fundimentally against it for unknown reasons. I really really hope you guys in the US manage to pass this bill (hope the UK succeeds with it's recent efforts) as seemingly my county can't do anything without you doing it first as our politicians have absolutely no backbone. The wikileaks political party will be launching this week and I'm looking forward to seeing their response to the topic.

Ps; sorry if this was a bit off topic :)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply