Courts grant Neanderthals personhood, freeing them from medical experimentation.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Courts grant Neanderthals personhood, freeing them from medical experimentation.
This hypothetical question occurred to me today while teaching. We were talking about modern humans and Neanderthals coexisting at a point in human history. This, along with a recent article about legal rights for chimpanzees sparked a question.

If Neanderthals had survived to the present, how would we regard them? Would they be much like our other primate relatives--displayed in zoos and kept in labs?

If they were granted human rights, would they be given all the rights that we enjoy is our respective countries? Or would we be in the midst of the Neanderthal Civil Rights Movement?

If they were not granted human rights, why not--what aspects suggest that they are less than "human?"
--------------------------------------
This melds very well into the concept of continued human evolution--which some research suggests is moving "faster than ever," especially with regards to genes based on country of origin.

Obviously, there is no right or wrong answer. This is just simply a thought experiment.

http://www.sciencefriday.com/segment/09/...-ever.html

Chimps and personhood
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2013, 05:38 PM
RE: Courts grant Neanderthals personhood, freeing them from medical experimentation.
Humans are assholes. If you think racism has been a problem, imagine what "specism" would be like. I doubt there would be any kind of equality.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
11-12-2013, 06:18 PM
RE: Courts grant Neanderthals personhood, freeing them from medical experimentation.
Not sure. If they had language and culture as the evidence suggests, we might have had real life examples to undermine our ideas that we are uniquely intelligent. But, given our tendencies to discriminate among ourselves, there would probably be a lot of prejudice.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
11-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Hmmm... Although genetically compatible for mating, would it be considered beastiality?
11-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Would atheists rate lower than Neanderthals in polls? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
11-12-2013, 06:50 PM
(11-12-2013 06:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  Would atheists rate lower than Neanderthals in polls? Consider

They already do. Sadcryface2

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
11-12-2013, 10:12 PM
(11-12-2013 06:18 PM)NoSkyDaddy Wrote:  Not sure. If they had language and culture as the evidence suggests, we might have had real life examples to undermine our ideas that we are uniquely intelligent. But, given our tendencies to discriminate among ourselves, there would probably be a lot of prejudice.

The evidence that I have looked at shows that they most likely did not have language. The Broca's Region was not well developed. They didn't have culture per se either. Modern humans were really the first humans to show symbolism, produce art & music, and bury their dead in a ritual like manner.
11-12-2013, 10:17 PM
(11-12-2013 05:38 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  Humans are assholes. If you think racism has been a problem, imagine what "specism" would be like. I doubt there would be any kind of equality.

Is specism an innate trait or learned? It could be/have been evolutionary beneficial.
11-12-2013, 10:24 PM
I wondered about this same concept in relation to AI. I've been watching Almost Human lately..
12-12-2013, 02:17 AM
(11-12-2013 05:38 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  Humans are assholes. If you think racism has been a problem, imagine what "specism" would be like. I doubt there would be any kind of equality.

Aint' that the truth.

OK, let me tell you the Secret of the Universe:

If you want to make up the Scariest Monster Story Ever, have your Monster treat us humans like we treat other animals.

It's as simple as that.

What could be worse than my monster wearing your head for a fucking HAT?

I rest my case.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post