Cow cannulating (warning: it's really gross)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2015, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2015 08:24 PM by cactus.)
Cow cannulating (warning: it's really gross)
So I'd never heard of this before. Cannulating involves cutting a permanent softball-sized plug out of a cow's side, straight through to its digestive organs, so that researchers can open a plastic lid, reach inside and pull out half-digested food for analysis to determine what types of feed will yield the best meat or milk production. Wow, how lovely.
Excuse me, I'm going to go and vomit now.

Warning again: it's pretty graphic
http://bardiamond.com/Library/Surgery/Ar...fIdaho.pdf

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
21-03-2015, 08:26 PM
RE: Cow cannulating (warning: it's really gross)
I remember seeing a cow with a 'window' installed in it's side.
21-03-2015, 08:32 PM
I won't click the link but can say I have probably seen worse. My dad was a large animal veterinarian. I saw some pretty icky things in my travels from farm to farm with him. And people wondered why I didn't want to become a vet.

I was about six when dad took me to the vet school with him when he had rounds. As we walked into a loading dock area there was a steer that had been cut right down the middle laying on the floor. Not the middle like his two front legs and head where here and his two back legs and tail were there...but cut from the middle of his forehead all the way down the spine and through the back end.

Yeah, I was six...but after that, not much shocked me with regard to what dad did for a living.

At least with the link and any video the smells aren't there...that's a whole other vomit-inducing experience.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
21-03-2015, 08:40 PM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2015 09:21 PM by cactus.)
(21-03-2015 08:32 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I won't click the link but can say I have probably seen worse. My dad was a large animal veterinarian. I saw some pretty icky things in my travels from farm to farm with him. And people wondered why I didn't want to become a vet.

I was about six when dad took me to the vet school with him when he had rounds. As we walked into a loading dock area there was a steer that had been cut right down the middle laying on the floor. Not the middle like his two front legs and head where here and his two back legs and tail were there...but cut from the middle of his forehead all the way down the spine and through the back end.

Yeah, I was six...but after that, not much shocked me with regard to what dad did for a living.

At least with the link and any video the smells aren't there...that's a whole other vomit-inducing experience.

Yeah, I don't think I could work with animals on a farm, especially not animals that have to be slaughtered. I'd feel too bad for them, open up the gate and be like "Why are you just standing there, you stupid animals? I don't care if you're domesticated. Run freeeeeee into the wild! away from all these crazy humans!"
I do still eat meat, though, so.... Laugh out load

21-03-2015, 08:46 PM
Meh. Nothing new. All farmers, country people know about this.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
21-03-2015, 09:14 PM
Yeah, sure, it's kinda gross on a visceral level, but... how else are we going to learn about what happens inside us?

There were plenty of window-cows down the road in Guelph from where I used to live. Yeah, it's probably sub-optimal for the cows, but how much benefit to human lives is that worth?
(that's the general question for all animal research, really; we do indisputably learn shit, but how far is too far?)

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
21-03-2015, 09:25 PM
I remember hearing or reading something like this a long time ago. It is quite gross. We do so many cruel things to animals in the name of food or science. But, we wouldn't be where we are without it.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
21-03-2015, 09:35 PM
(21-03-2015 09:25 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I remember hearing or reading something like this a long time ago. It is quite gross. We do so many cruel things to animals in the name of food or science. But, we wouldn't be where we are without it.

[Image: a026293.jpg&userid=3&use...rofileid=1]

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
21-03-2015, 10:16 PM
I find this simultaneously intensely repulsive and fascinating. First time I've ever seen a photo of it. It was a lot more gory than I expected, I guess due to the the fact it was just a hole without much dressing done to it.

(30-03-2015 08:47 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  IT'S THE HOLY GHOST oooOOOOOOOOOOooooooo
21-03-2015, 10:20 PM
(21-03-2015 10:16 PM)Russ Wrote:  I find this simultaneously intensely repulsive and fascinating. First time I've ever seen a photo of it. It was a lot more gory than I expected, I guess due to the the fact it was just a hole without much dressing done to it.

Well, they do plug it up pretty quickly.
[Image: 4on_vache_06_w.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post