Coward Fence Sitters, Make a Choice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2014, 05:43 PM
RE: Coward Fence Sitters, Make a Choice
(24-04-2014 04:08 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Hitchens may have been a bulldog, But he was an intelligent bulldog with class.

Haha. sorry I lack class and a lot more knowledge. I'm just a little rant-esque today. haha

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."- Albert Einstein.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Steven Hawking
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2014, 05:43 PM
(24-04-2014 03:19 PM)Thanh Wrote:  They're lazy, too. I'm furious at those who seek social peace and choose to ignore the problems. Fighting is good if you care for society, and people in general, because fighting and arguing opposes ideas and challenges them to the truth. That's how solutions are brought to light and just saying "let's all be friends" is like putting everyone in a goddamn zoo.

thank you! I'm not that crazy. haha

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."- Albert Einstein.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Steven Hawking
24-04-2014, 05:47 PM
(24-04-2014 03:52 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I dunno that that's a fair judgement.

Just 'cause golden mean and false equivalence are fallacious, doesn't mean one can't actually believe so. Still worth calling out, obviously. But "cowardice" is going pretty damn far.

Is this prompted by any specific exchange?

More like a conglomorate of several similar conversations over several years of ridiculous conversation.

you're probably right, perhaps I mean "indifference." like from the movie The Boondock saints, beware of indifferent men. they are more toxic than deliberately evil men.

24-04-2014, 05:48 PM
(24-04-2014 04:07 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  I'm a fucking nihilistic, existentialistic, realistic, evidentialistic, agnostic atheist.
I'm not a bench sitter, I'm more like an rejectional agnostic. I believe that there may be a god, but it's definitely more logical than any human religion, and all religions display the god/gods/goddess/goddesses wrong, and most of the stories are false. There's no divine, magic, or holy force.
So yeah, I am an agnostic who believes there may be a supreme being, but it's not the ones or one from any human religion.

Like I said, I do not mean agnostism. I find no fault in you, not that it's my business anyways.

I speak of indifferent men.

24-04-2014, 05:49 PM
(24-04-2014 05:17 PM)djhall Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 03:02 PM)elconquistador Wrote:  but for all of the ass kissers who sit on the fence are like "oh I just accept everyones beliefs because both atheism and theism are silly. you cannot be either one 100%"

It sounds to me like someone is trying to re-frame the disagreement from one of theism vs atheism to one where everyone falls into various places on an agnostic spectrum ranging from mostly believe to mostly don't believe.

The problem I have with that is that people don't behave in ways consistent with that description. I'd love it if everyone did. The world would be much better if the most devout Muslims submitted themselves willingly to the dictates of Sharia law (because they believe strongly) while being scrupulous to not impose them on non-believers (because they are agnostic) and fervent believer Christians worried about living their own lives in strict accordance to their beliefs while also celebrating the marriage of the gay couple next door because those people have a different belief about homosexuality and sin.

The fence sitting becomes a problem when those people take no stand but believers allow their beliefs to intrude on how other people get to live their lives (opposing gay marriage, trying to shame people with hell and sin, imposing punishments for religious offenses like adultery, etc).

Absolutely! I totally agree!Smile

24-04-2014, 05:50 PM
I'm just always so...amazed when people put so much thought and energy into worrying about what other people think. As long as you're not using your beliefs to harm other people I couldn't care less what you think.

Also my thing is more like, oh I just accept everyone no matter what they believe because I don't like to be intolerant.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
24-04-2014, 05:51 PM
(24-04-2014 04:08 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Hitchens may have been a bulldog, But he was an intelligent bulldog with class.

Except he was a wolf. Just sayin'. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-04-2014, 07:41 PM
(24-04-2014 03:02 PM)elconquistador Wrote:  what do you think?

I think centrism for the sake of centrism is stupid. If you genuinely get there through critically evaluating your position as opposed to just assuming "lol both sides are must be wrong", then I can at least respect the position.

Other than that, it just sounds like a hollow platitude, made to make the person feel like they've transcended this whole stupid argument of religion, or something.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
24-04-2014, 10:33 PM
(24-04-2014 05:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Except he was a wolf. Just sayin'. Drinking Beverage

I'll go with wolf.
24-04-2014, 10:50 PM
Make a choice? A rational mind doesn't choose what to believe. A rational mind is forced to accept that which is supported by evidence.
If one chooses what to believe then that person has not reached a conclusion based on rational thought. If this persons conclusions are not based on rational thought, isn't that person just full of shit. Why would the person who chooses deserve my respect?
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post