Cracked: 5 Ways Atheists Argue Their Cause (That Aren't Helping)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2015, 12:13 PM
Cracked: 5 Ways Atheists Argue Their Cause (That Aren't Helping)
5 Ways Atheists Argue Their Cause (That Aren't Helping)

I think the article makes some okay points on the surface that ultimately totally miss the mark. Or, at least, they miss the mark in such a way that you could have titled this to be about Christianity and changed the words to complain about the behavior of Westboro, televangelsts, and door-to-door proselytizers as bad for all Christianity.

I'm glad the author makes the point to say that points 2 - 5 only apply to some minority of atheists. He's being honest not to generalize when he does that, but he also stops talking about atheism at that point. I guess "5 Ways Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, the Amazing Atheist, and My Stereotyped View of Moody Atheist Nerds Argue Their Cause (That Aren't Helping)" was outside the acceptable character limit for article titles.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
21-05-2015, 03:56 PM
RE: Cracked: 5 Ways Atheists Argue Their Cause (That Aren't Helping)
I usually stay away from Cracked these days. In the past I've found a few funny articles, but usually I find the authors to be condescending and just not very pleasant. A lot of their articles now are variations of "5 Stupid Things That You Probably Believe" or a rant about some trivial thing the author doesn't like and anyone who disagrees is an idiot.

This article, to me, looks like it's along the same lines. Basically the author having a few bad experience with atheists, so now he's going to tell us exactly what's wrong with us. And apparently some youtuber whom I've never heard of before this article is a "leader in the movement".

And also apparently now Reddit is the go-to source for all things atheism related. Give me a break Rolleyes

[Image: z555d8ccd8ce21.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Helen_Damnation's post
21-05-2015, 07:25 PM
All of those are easily explained by the fact that the prominent atheists (a very low percentage of atheists) are predominantly white men. The number one should be they are quite politically incorrect in how they attempt to connect with minorities.
21-05-2015, 07:31 PM
(21-05-2015 07:25 PM)Dunkleweizen Wrote:  All of those are easily explained by the fact that the prominent atheists (a very low percentage of atheists) are predominantly white men. The number one should be they are quite politically incorrect in how they attempt to connect with minorities.

Obligatory and relevant:

21-05-2015, 08:52 PM
Blah. Apply a broad brush to atheism why don't ya.

I don't know most atheists in real life, but knowing myself, I have never felt the great urge to insert myself in conversations that I don't necessarily belong.

The author also ignores the fact that religion has seeded these intolerant ideas into people's heads AND forced beliefs on people through law. It's one of the things that can lead to so much suffering because some holy scriptures said this was right to do and is infallible. Of course this doesn't mean there are people who agree with that, but there is a very vocal group of people who do. This author seemingly ignores the reasons why atheists can be very vocal about religions and instead seems to want to trash atheism for a few people.

On another note, leaders of this so-called atheism movement aren't always supported by everyone but that doesn't matter here. I don't know where he got the idea that the late Christopher Hitchens was a 'bully'. He also ignores many other figures who atheists look up to like Steve Shives or Carl Sagan. As for the Amazing Atheist, he is very brusque with words, but it creates attention to his topic. And he didn't argue that sexual objectification doesn't exist, he meant it has no bearing on the person's ideals or wants doing the 'objectifying'. Do you think a man occasionally glancing at boobs/butts is someone who wants to use said woman just for sex?
[+] 1 user Likes Kaepora Gaebora's post