Craft Beer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2013, 11:47 PM
Craft Beer
So I'm hooked on craft beer and being less than two years into it, I always like to see what others are drinking. Post up the fine brews you're currently drinking!

Bacchus by Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck (Castle Brewery):
Had high hopes for this one, but it turned out to be quite average. Tart cherries immediately bombard the palette then it finishes quite dry with lingering tart. Lots of carbonation. Not much else to this sour. Wish it had more character.
[img][Image: 2uwg.jpg][/img]

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2013, 06:30 AM
RE: Craft Beer
Sadcryface2 Well, when I lived in Virginia I had a ton of craft brews to choose from...but now that I moved back to my homestate, there is no such thing. We have the highest taxes on alcohol in the country, so there is no craft breweries. The closest thing is probably the likes of Sam Adams. Don't get me wrong, I like Same Adams, but I liked the locally brewed stuff as well. Anyhow, I have been interested in home brewing for years...and I am inching in that direction as we speak. Started some short mead a while back and some hard cider more recently. Next stop, beer city Smile

BTW I am currently drinking Yuengling, Black and Tan. Not a craft brew, but a decent one nonetheless. Tongue

05-07-2013, 06:32 AM
Double Post, disregard.

05-07-2013, 09:40 AM
That sucks. I'd have some serious withdrawal problems if I couldn't get craft brews. You might have to find people willing to send you stuff.

The legal loophole via UPS or FedEX (if they ask) would be to say that they are yeast samples for scientific purposes.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
05-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Homebrew DarkLight?

Some of my favorite crafts:

Southern Tier Brewery - Pumpking
Rogue - Chipotle Ale
Blue Point - Hoptical Illusion
Yards - Love Stout
Allegash White

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-07-2013, 10:41 AM
(05-07-2013 09:50 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Homebrew DarkLight?

Some of my favorite crafts:

Southern Tier Brewery - Pumpking
Rogue - Chipotle Ale
Blue Point - Hoptical Illusion
Yards - Love Stout
Allegash White

Southern Tier is a solid brand. LOVE their Choklat Imperial Stout. I have a bottle of their Creme Brulee waiting to be opened. A bar by me had it on tap and the owner said he has plenty more. I'm hoping he hooks it up again tonight. Otherwise, I'm going there whenever he decides to put it back on tap.

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
05-07-2013, 11:42 AM
I was thinking of starting off with an IPA because it is supposed to be fast and easy. I do generally prefer a dark beer like a stout or porter.

05-07-2013, 11:47 AM
(05-07-2013 11:42 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I was thinking of starting off with an IPA because it is supposed to be fast and easy. I do generally prefer a dark beer like a stout or porter.

Some IPAs are two stage, which is a little harder.

Wheats are the probably the easiest and cheapest to start (of all my old early brews the wheats where the best)....but a single stage IPA should not be particularly difficult and darks easy too, just need to use dark malt, me and my old roommate made a coffee stout that was pretty good....anything single stage should be easy, just use canned/powdered malt and hop pellets.

Just don't over prime your bottles, you over prime your bottles and your going to have a bad time.

...woke up to a popping and cracking sound at about 2:00am once.

Ps. Mead is awesome too home brew too if you are into that sort of thing....but it keeps your carboy busy for 6 months rather than than 2.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-07-2013, 09:14 PM
[Image: buschbeer.jpg]

Clean Draw and a Smooth Finish.
05-07-2013, 10:10 PM
(05-07-2013 11:42 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I was thinking of starting off with an IPA because it is supposed to be fast and easy. I do generally prefer a dark beer like a stout or porter.

Porters and IPA's and stouts generally take the same amount of time. Old ales, Russian imperial Stouts, take longer and barley wines take considerably longer to brew.

For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside,
That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive -- Badlands; Bruce Springsteen