Craft Beer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2013, 06:42 PM
RE: Craft Beer
I make my own cider. It's so simple, I can hardly believe what people charge for it. The most complex part, is cleaning the equipment. If you can get bottles, jugs, tubes and funnels really clean, you are 80% of the way to making awesome cider.

Beer is harder. Mashes, worts, delicate timing and temperature requirements, balances of multiple ingredients... beer's fiddly.

I do like it though. My favorite local brewery is Live Oak. An ice-cold Big Bark, some barbeque, and a sunset is as close to Heaven as I'll ever get.

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2013, 07:13 PM
(09-09-2013 02:05 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I'm always suprised when I see Unibroue turn up somewhere like Florida or Virginia (Vermont I can understand lol). How long's that been going on? Since they were independent, 10 years ago? Decent enough stuff, mind; they've got about a dozen varieties, but they're all pretty yeasty old-school ales, the difference is down to the malts. Since they're mostly overproof I tend to associate them with a friend of mine who was always interested in maximizing his alcohol intake per craft beer dollar...

I'm not too sure how long it's been going on. I'm only 23 so i only have a couple years of beer tasting under my belt but I see Unibroue brews in a ton of bars/ liquor stores here, even in the huge chain grocery stores.
09-09-2013, 07:29 PM
(09-09-2013 06:15 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  My thread has info on what beers I'm into. Unibroue has a strong presence here in Michigan too. They even make beer for Trader Joe's here. They have some solid brews.

OP: You're from Cali and you didn't give Russian River a mention? I'm dying to try their Supplication. I LOVE sours and that is the one that is on top of many sour lovers' list. Want to send me a bottle? If they ask, just say it's a yeast sample for scientific research Smile

I've seen the Trader Joe's beer here too haha.

The only reason Russian River didn't come to mind is because I'm not too experienced with their beers. I've had a few of their beers that end in '-ation' that i really enjoyed. BUT, they really let me down when i finally got a hold of Pliny The Elder which is supposed to be the best IPA of all time. I totally bought into all the hype and i thought it was so lack luster. Nevertheless, they're a solid overall brewery and I'd love to try Supplication.

I also should've mentioned The Bruery which brews a sour stout called Tart of Darkness which i had last weekend and was blown away with. All the dark smoky roasted flavors of a stout with a Sweet Tart flavor on top haha.
09-09-2013, 07:53 PM
(09-09-2013 06:42 PM)I Am Wrote:  I make my own cider. It's so simple, I can hardly believe what people charge for it. The most complex part, is cleaning the equipment. If you can get bottles, jugs, tubes and funnels really clean, you are 80% of the way to making awesome cider.

Beer is harder. Mashes, worts, delicate timing and temperature requirements, balances of multiple ingredients... beer's fiddly.

I do like it though. My favorite local brewery is Live Oak. An ice-cold Big Bark, some barbeque, and a sunset is as close to Heaven as I'll ever get.

If the Bible told me that the way to salvation was to enjoy craft beer in nature, I'd be a Christian for sure haha.