Craft Beer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2013, 11:02 PM
RE: Craft Beer
(05-07-2013 11:47 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Ps. Mead is awesome too home brew too if you are into that sort of thing....but it keeps your carboy busy for 6 months rather than than 2.

The mead I am experimenting with is a short mead, supposed to be clear in 2 months-65 days. It is my first attempt so I went with very simple...were talking what they might have made in antiquity. A lot of people hailed it as good, and supposedly unfuckupable. We shall see.

Thanks to you and Mom for the words of wisdom though. Thumbsup

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2013, 11:26 PM
Just got back from the bar. Highlight of the night was Rodenbach Classic (Red) - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

If you're into sours, this one is stellar. Sour, sweet, fruity, yum.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
08-07-2013, 02:45 PM
The local brewery (Stack Brewing in Sudbury ON) is still gearing up, and they insist on selling their first batches during the workday, when I cannot pick up any.

Bastards.

I make do with the next-most local beers I can find - Northeastern Ontario's finest craft brewers. A little Lake of Bays red ale, Muskoka Mad Tom IPA, South River Scotch Ale, and the ever-stellar Flying Monkeys Hoptical Illusion and Smashbomb Atomic IPA. (I say make do, but they're actually all amazing).

The last time my dad was in the States he picked up a few nice New York microbrews, and was graceful enough to share; Ithaca, Syracuse, and Rochester all have very fine breweries (to say nothing of Southern Tier!).

... this is my signature!
08-07-2013, 03:04 PM
(05-07-2013 11:02 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(05-07-2013 11:47 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Ps. Mead is awesome too home brew too if you are into that sort of thing....but it keeps your carboy busy for 6 months rather than than 2.

The mead I am experimenting with is a short mead, supposed to be clear in 2 months-65 days. It is my first attempt so I went with very simple...were talking what they might have made in antiquity. A lot of people hailed it as good, and supposedly unfuckupable. We shall see.

Ahh we did a few short meads, like Blue Jamaican (a blueberry mead that was less thick and rather tart)

Ps. You should try to brew prickly pear mead if you can get your hands on some cactus fruit. My old roommate got it out of a mead brewers hand book (the authors favorite recipe) and it really is fantastic.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-07-2013, 07:02 PM
(08-07-2013 03:04 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
(05-07-2013 11:02 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  The mead I am experimenting with is a short mead, supposed to be clear in 2 months-65 days. It is my first attempt so I went with very simple...were talking what they might have made in antiquity. A lot of people hailed it as good, and supposedly unfuckupable. We shall see.

Ahh we did a few short meads, like Blue Jamaican (a blueberry mead that was less thick and rather tart)

Ps. You should try to brew prickly pear mead if you can get your hands on some cactus fruit. My old roommate got it out of a mead brewers hand book (the authors favorite recipe) and it really is fantastic.

Ain't too many cacti in TN. I got plenty of fresh fruit and berries around the yard, but no cactus in sight. I got pears (usually, not this year), apples, walnuts, peaches, black berries, blue berries. Also got various vegetables. Local honey is plentiful as well, though I'm no beekeeper.

08-07-2013, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2013 07:28 PM by ridethespiral.)
(08-07-2013 07:02 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 03:04 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Ahh we did a few short meads, like Blue Jamaican (a blueberry mead that was less thick and rather tart)

Ain't too many cacti in TN. I got plenty of fresh fruit and berries around the yard, but no cactus in sight. I got pears (usually, not this year), apples, walnuts, peaches, black berries, blue berries. Also got various vegetables. Local honey is plentiful as well, though I'm no beekeeper.

It's blueberry season and my fiancee just picked pounds and pounds of them...makes me want to bring the carboy out of retirement. Unfiltered blueberry wheat beer *homer sounds*

No cacti in NJ either (well a few in the pines) but I don't think there are commercial cactus farms there...Pretty rare here too but found them at a restaurant supply store (Mexican restaurants serve them).

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-07-2013, 10:57 PM
Belgian Ale lovers... Ommegang Abbey Ale if you can get it... do so. You won't regret it.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes NoahsFarce's post
09-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Anything and everything from Dogfish Head. Big Grin

But I can't drink beer no more 'cause it spikes my sugars. Weeping

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
09-07-2013, 07:41 PM
(09-07-2013 05:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Anything and everything from Dogfish Head. Big Grin

But I can't drink beer no more 'cause it spikes my sugars. Weeping

You poor bastard! I think I would just die happy instead Tongue