Crap Beliefs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2016, 09:26 PM
Crap Beliefs
I think I saw this addressed here earlier, but that may have been at another site.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-11/fe...ds/7155696

I also visit some automotive sites, and one of their local christ-punchers posted it. I pointed out that if you needed an "all-seeing eye in the sky" to be good, you are already the problem. Some of the other cry-face xtian guys there bitched about my post. Of course, I posted again, because "I'm pushing the atheist agenda". Tongue I just want to see both sides equally represented. If one reads the entire article, beyond the titular conclusion, a different idea is reached. What do you think, after reading the entire article?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2016, 09:32 PM
RE: Crap Beliefs
I only read a little way in, and a glaring problem I saw was how different god beliefs separate groups into us vs. them.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
13-02-2016, 09:46 PM
(13-02-2016 09:26 PM)Fireball Wrote:  What do you think, after reading the entire article?

I think quite a lot of people are going to see "religion acted as a common denominator to establish cooperative relationships between early societies" and interpret it as "there is a god".

As per usual.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
13-02-2016, 10:13 PM
I certainly do believe in the idea that "Fear of vengeful omniscient gods may have helped human societies expand".

I also believe that the fear of getting no presents at christmas will encourage some children to be good.

This actually touches on something I've been contemplating recently ...

Organisations have reporting structures. One might say one reports to their manager but really this tends to be only for HR stuff.

However, in everyday circumstances, we all report to each other functionally / horizontally through inputs/output of processes and only need to escalate hierarchically / vertically quite infrequently.

Even 'dashboard' reporting / monitoring for governance purposes is pretty much automated and does not require a hierarchical structure.

So I think I am coming to the conclusion that since we sorted out things like 'accountability' and 'segregation of duties' societal effectiveness and efficiency no longer needs a celestial whip-cracker.

Or putting it another way ... there are many reasons why (horizontally / functionally) religions are still useful but there is no longer any need for the hierarchy (up to popes and beyond to gods).

States have achieved this by removing the monarchic hierarchies but are a little behind in replacing the community integrations (horizontally) that religions have evolved.

Consider

/musing

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
13-02-2016, 10:24 PM
Next month...

Study Suggests Rewards From Militaristic Gods Motivated Warfare.
Receipt of war booty confirmed early soldiers' belief in various gods of war and lords of hosts. When a soldier prayed for his life and fortune before battle, he either received them or was in no condition to ask why not. This lethal expression of confirmation bias likely spread reverence for death cults everywhere warfare touched.

Month after...

Do Sacred Cows Make Hindus Healthier?

A recent analysis of health statistics show that the Indian subcontinent has lower obesity per capita than comparable bovine bingeing countries. Is Shiva protecting the bodies of his believers? We asked Brahmin and Minister of Health JP Nadda that question in our exclusive interview.
[+] 5 users Like I Am's post
13-02-2016, 10:27 PM
(13-02-2016 09:32 PM)pablo Wrote:  I only read a little way in, and a glaring problem I saw was how different god beliefs separate groups into us vs. them.

Exactly! The problem is that the people at that site didn't even go read that article, they just started posting shit about how great religion is, and that the "A"theist view doesn't need to be posted there.
14-02-2016, 10:58 AM
I could only see the abstract for the actual paper but I'd be interested to know how the study groups interacted with people of different beliefs. I'm betting that it was slightly less charitable.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
14-02-2016, 11:40 AM
(13-02-2016 10:24 PM)I Am Wrote:  Next month...

Study Suggests Rewards From Militaristic Gods Motivated Warfare.
Receipt of war booty confirmed early soldiers' belief in various gods of war and lords of hosts. When a soldier prayed for his life and fortune before battle, he either received them or was in no condition to ask why not. This lethal expression of confirmation bias likely spread reverence for death cults everywhere warfare touched.

Month after...

Do Sacred Cows Make Hindus Healthier?

A recent analysis of health statistics show that the Indian subcontinent has lower obesity per capita than comparable bovine bingeing countries. Is Shiva protecting the bodies of his believers? We asked Brahmin and Minister of Health JP Nadda that question in our exclusive interview.

If nothing else ----

Sacred cows make the best hamburger --- Mark Twain

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
14-02-2016, 11:44 AM
Holy shit.
14-02-2016, 02:27 PM
(14-02-2016 11:44 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  Holy shit.

Succinct. :-)
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post