Craziest theories you've heard.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2014, 04:01 PM
Re: RE: Craziest theories you've heard.
(14-08-2014 03:22 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(14-08-2014 03:14 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It's not doing to end well because outer planetary resource acquisition is going to happen. It's simply non existent as a real position anymore... It may be how people still plan, but they're people who will be proven wrong.

I don't think you've quite understood. Most development is predicated on the idea that unrestricted growth can continue forever. This is self-evidently not true.

Run the maths on exponential growth.

Any given system under any given conditions has a finite sustainable carrying capacity. To blithely assume that conditions will always change (due to... technological progress? social change?) quickly enough to forestall severe consequences seems... ill-advisedly optimistic, shall we say.

Any or an overall eventual end is different than simply an argument of a finite planet. I'll admit I'm viewing it wrong in that manner.

Perhaps it's a,matter of disregarding to arguments to literal and with all factors, but I don't see it disregarding horrendous consequences, but to me those aspects don't limit a concept of potential growth.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-08-2014, 04:16 PM
RE: Craziest theories you've heard.
My father believes that the moon landing never happened because "the Van Allen radiation belt would kill the astronauts."

Even at around 10 when he said it, I debunked it, but he dismissed it out of hand claiming that 'the capsule was nothing more than thin aluminium' and that 'technology is not advanced enough'.

That. Is my craziest theory.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
14-08-2014, 04:25 PM
Wickedclown is not here to troll. Drinking Beverage
15-08-2014, 06:03 AM
I've heard fundamentalists complain that atheists are using the media and science to kill God. According to them, there is all sorts of scientific evidence that God is true, but the evil atheists are stifling the "truth", and the media is helping.

(14-08-2014 09:52 AM)MrsFarrow Wrote:  For instance, she reposted some graphic with all these blatantly wrong facts about fluoride that a simple Google search would have explained as being wrong, or at least taken completely out of context to suit one side's needs. When confronted with an opposing argument on one specific point, she responded with "WELL BUT IT'S STILL HARMFUL" so I didn't address it further.

My best friend and I get into fluoride arguments from time to time. He keeps saying he doesn't like the arguments, but for a while, he'd keep posting stuff. I think we've agreed to not talk about it, because he's stopped brining it up.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
15-08-2014, 06:31 AM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2014 06:36 AM by Hafnof.)
My mother in law once told me that all cancer is caused by liver flukes, and could be cured by killing the flukes. Details here: http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRela...clark.html

When she asked me "Do you know what causes cancer", I told her that it was my understanding a number of factors came into play and that we know some are caused by genetic problems, some by viral infection, and that some environmental factors would also be at play in most incidences of cancer. I thought she had asked it as a serious question. She paused when I talked about HPV's role in cervical cancer as if to reconsider but continued anyway with her liver fluke hypothesis. I think I forgot to be measured in my tone being taken so far off guard and blurted out something like "Do you know how easy that would be to test?".

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
15-08-2014, 12:08 PM
(15-08-2014 06:31 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I think I forgot to be measured in my tone being taken so far off guard and blurted out something like "Do you know how easy that would be to test?".

My mother has a tendency to say some weird things, and I have to put conscious effort into not being snarky or rude.
15-08-2014, 12:14 PM
I think this is probably one for the hall of shame fame.

... this is my signature!
15-08-2014, 12:59 PM
(15-08-2014 12:14 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I think this is probably one for the hall of shame fame.

Yup. That's a good one.
I think the craziest one I've heard is that UFOs are real and not of this earth. Not so crazy and far too common you say? Well that's because I failed to mention that they are demons from the pits of hell!
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
15-08-2014, 02:53 PM
That Bigfoot is a nephilim or an inter-dimensional being that can telepathically communicate and turn invisible at will.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-08-2014, 02:59 PM
(15-08-2014 02:53 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  That Bigfoot is a nephilim or an inter-dimensional being that can telepathically communicate and turn invisible at will.

Ooh. I think this is my new favourite one.