Crazy Aunt and Uncle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Crazy Aunt and Uncle
So, I've been in Massachusetts for a few weeks for Summer Vacation. This is where I've started reading The Bible and The Greatest Show on Earth. I've stayed at my Grandmother's house most of the time, but I wanted to go and see my Aunt, since I haven't seen her in a long time, considering I live in Vermont. She picked me up at Grandmother's home, and brought me to her home. I was looking at a painting on the wall that I remembered seeing before, but never really thinking about it. My Uncle told me it was a prophecy from The Bible. This started a relatively short conversation that ended with a rather loud outburst from my Uncle. Now, I don't recall my Aunt and Uncle being very religious. I can vaguely remember that when I was very little, I asked her what her religion was. I think she said she was Non-secretariat or something like that. I saw several New World Translations of the Holy Scriptures throughout their apartment.
Now, I had heard of the documentary Religulous, but I never saw it. They had Netflix on their Blu-ray player, and it had Religulous, so I watched. Throughout the film, they spoke up a few times, to things like "Being Gay isn't a choice" to "correct" the assertion that Homosexuality was natural. Once it was done, I returned to Grandmother's house, to return in a few days.
Upon my second visit, I was scrolling through the Netflix list and came across My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Naturally, being a 13 year old boy, I gagged at the sight before me, but I respected the opinion of anyone who would want to watch it.
Since my Aunt is pregnant with a boy, Zachary, I stated my wishes that she wouldn't indoctrinate her beliefs, both ideologically, and politically onto him, and that she would not force him to conform to the stereotypes of male children, me being an example of one who does not like cars or sports. I even regretfully said that she should let him watch My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic if he wished to. She responded by asking if I wanted to turn her son into a-
I dare not repeat the word. It was then when I realized that she was very homophobic, and I seriously began to worry about the influence she would have over my cousin. It got worse when I began talking to her about politics. She expressed little interest in who was in charge of the country, saying that "It won't matter who's president when Jehovah comes down." I left her house and returned to my Grandmother's. Is there anything I can do for Zachary? Or is he doomed to be molded in the manner that best suits my Aunt and Uncle? I shudder to think of how they would react if they knew of my Atheism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TSG's post
08-08-2013, 05:07 PM
RE: Crazy Aunt and Uncle
Probably not much if you don't have a lot of contact with them. Hopefully the child will grow up to form his own conclusions.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

08-08-2013, 08:58 PM
For thousands of years, men and women have grown up acting upon their own thoughts and beliefs, despite every attempt their parents have made to control and guide them.

He will be fine.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
14-10-2013, 06:22 PM
Well, he was born. I'm going to see him this weekend.

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
14-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Are you dissing My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
14-10-2013, 11:06 PM
(08-08-2013 04:56 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  So, I've been in Massachusetts for a few weeks for Summer Vacation. This is where I've started reading The Bible and The Greatest Show on Earth. I've stayed at my Grandmother's house most of the time, but I wanted to go and see my Aunt, since I haven't seen her in a long time, considering I live in Vermont. She picked me up at Grandmother's home, and brought me to her home. I was looking at a painting on the wall that I remembered seeing before, but never really thinking about it. My Uncle told me it was a prophecy from The Bible. This started a relatively short conversation that ended with a rather loud outburst from my Uncle. Now, I don't recall my Aunt and Uncle being very religious. I can vaguely remember that when I was very little, I asked her what her religion was. I think she said she was Non-secretariat or something like that. I saw several New World Translations of the Holy Scriptures throughout their apartment.
Now, I had heard of the documentary Religulous, but I never saw it. They had Netflix on their Blu-ray player, and it had Religulous, so I watched. Throughout the film, they spoke up a few times, to things like "Being Gay isn't a choice" to "correct" the assertion that Homosexuality was natural. Once it was done, I returned to Grandmother's house, to return in a few days.
Upon my second visit, I was scrolling through the Netflix list and came across My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Naturally, being a 13 year old boy, I gagged at the sight before me, but I respected the opinion of anyone who would want to watch it.
Since my Aunt is pregnant with a boy, Zachary, I stated my wishes that she wouldn't indoctrinate her beliefs, both ideologically, and politically onto him, and that she would not force him to conform to the stereotypes of male children, me being an example of one who does not like cars or sports. I even regretfully said that she should let him watch My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic if he wished to. She responded by asking if I wanted to turn her son into a-
I dare not repeat the word. It was then when I realized that she was very homophobic, and I seriously began to worry about the influence she would have over my cousin. It got worse when I began talking to her about politics. She expressed little interest in who was in charge of the country, saying that "It won't matter who's president when Jehovah comes down." I left her house and returned to my Grandmother's. Is there anything I can do for Zachary? Or is he doomed to be molded in the manner that best suits my Aunt and Uncle? I shudder to think of how they would react if they knew of my Atheism.

There's not much you can do for him directly. At least, there isn't much you can do for him directly that isn't worse than what you're trying to prevent. Simply being present in his life and "out" as a skeptic can help, but it also makes it more likely that aunt and uncle will see that you never get to spend any time with him. Or maybe take the "hide in plain sight" approach, never making a big deal of it around the kid but never lying about it, and when he's old enough to understand and when the topic comes up, be honest. Simply being around to represent can make a difference.

But the REAL big difference is to impact the society the kid grows up in, and so help him indirectly. Help atheism become publicly accepted and open. Help campaign to get an atheist elected president. Push for skepticism (er, critical thinking skills) to be taught in his school, and I mean REALLY taught. If he doesn't catch on pretty quickly that his parents are batshit, he'll figure it out when he finally goes out on his own into the society you helped shape.

(14-10-2013 10:55 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Are you dissing My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic?

Also, you can run away very quickly, so as to live long enough to accomplish all that.
15-10-2013, 02:54 AM
(08-08-2013 04:56 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  Is there anything I can do for Zachary? Or is he doomed to be molded in the manner that best suits my Aunt and Uncle? I shudder to think of how they would react if they knew of my Atheism.

You could pray for him.
15-10-2013, 03:05 AM
(15-10-2013 02:54 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(08-08-2013 04:56 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  Is there anything I can do for Zachary? Or is he doomed to be molded in the manner that best suits my Aunt and Uncle? I shudder to think of how they would react if they knew of my Atheism.

You could pray for him.

He was looking for something slightly more useful than wishing it were so.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
15-10-2013, 03:19 AM
(15-10-2013 03:05 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(15-10-2013 02:54 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  You could pray for him.

He was looking for something slightly more useful than wishing it were so.

What is he wishing for? That Zachary grow up in a manner that best suits him?
15-10-2013, 04:15 AM
(15-10-2013 02:54 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

You could pray for him.

[Image: 4389d1376772735-man-shoots-self-houston-...59.gif.jpg]

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
[+] 4 users Like TSG's post