Crazy Cults

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Crazy Cults
I am obsessed with debates regarding "God". Whether it be on the Street or a large Formal Debate. But after a while it becomes a little vanilla. So i figured I mix it up a bit.

Going to college in Philadelphia I would walk from my dorm building 5 blocks to the class building. On the way I would walk past homeless people, street performers and religious zealots. Just about everyday. There was one that group that would stand on the corner of broad street full white outfits, and pass out pamphlets. This became much more frequent after 9/11. In the pamphlet it would have the standard questions "Are you ready for the after life?" "Have you accepted a higher power in your heart?" But it was also making clam that the end times was upon us. And that their group was willing to prepare you for this end event. Now this was obviously 13 years ago and I can safely crisis averted. Being a theist at the time I would take it and give it a once over then throw in the next garbage can. I would usually hold on to so i wouldn't be handed 20 more on my way to class. However even thou i was able to see the fallacy i knew a guy who couldn't. His name was Pat, already deeply religious and prier to college lived a sheltered life. Each time i would see him he would start talking about this group. Saying how they where all super friendly, and would greet with big group hugs. How they asked him to dress the same. And to prepare himself for Jesus come they needed to eat specific food. I told him he should be careful and not to drink the Kool-aid. He didn't understand the reference and I had to explain, Heavens Gate and James Town to him. Summer break was coming and most of the students where required to leave the dorm building. Pat didn't want to go back to his family. Instead found shelter at the groups meeting building. I was told he clean and prepared food for the group to cover for the room and board. I didn't feel this was unusual because the rest of the congregation did the same. But the thing that did bother me was he didn't come back to school. He dropped out because he felt it would be useless. The end time was upon us and he needed to get ready. I found this out because one day when I was walking to class there he was passing out pamphlets in an all white outfit. That was the last time i saw him. I never knew what happened after that. Even his former roommates didn't have a clue. They said he sold all his things and just left.

Has anyone ever meet anyone that has ever been in a Cult (outside the 12 Major religions)

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2015, 01:26 PM
RE: Crazy Cults
(28-04-2015 12:56 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  I am obsessed with debates regarding "God". Whether it be on the Street or a large Formal Debate. But after a while it becomes a little vanilla. So i figured I mix it up a bit.

Going to college in Philadelphia I would walk from my dorm building 5 blocks to the class building. On the way I would walk past homeless people, street performers and religious zealots. Just about everyday. There was one that group that would stand on the corner of broad street full white outfits, and pass out pamphlets. This became much more frequent after 9/11. In the pamphlet it would have the standard questions "Are you ready for the after life?" "Have you accepted a higher power in your heart?" But it was also making clam that the end times was upon us. And that their group was willing to prepare you for this end event. Now this was obviously 13 years ago and I can safely crisis averted. Being a theist at the time I would take it and give it a once over then throw in the next garbage can. I would usually hold on to so i wouldn't be handed 20 more on my way to class. However even thou i was able to see the fallacy i knew a guy who couldn't. His name was Pat, already deeply religious and prier to college lived a sheltered life. Each time i would see him he would start talking about this group. Saying how they where all super friendly, and would greet with big group hugs. How they asked him to dress the same. And to prepare himself for Jesus come they needed to eat specific food. I told him he should be careful and not to drink the Kool-aid. He didn't understand the reference and I had to explain, Heavens Gate and James Town to him. Summer break was coming and most of the students where required to leave the dorm building. Pat didn't want to go back to his family. Instead found shelter at the groups meeting building. I was told he clean and prepared food for the group to cover for the room and board. I didn't feel this was unusual because the rest of the congregation did the same. But the thing that did bother me was he didn't come back to school. He dropped out because he felt it would be useless. The end time was upon us and he needed to get ready. I found this out because one day when I was walking to class there he was passing out pamphlets in an all white outfit. That was the last time i saw him. I never knew what happened after that. Even his former roommates didn't have a clue. They said he sold all his things and just left.

Has anyone ever meet anyone that has ever been in a Cult (outside the 12 Major religions)

No, just the christian cult. But I was watching a you tube video of Heaven's Gate--where the followers were being interviewed by another cult member before their mass suicide. How scary religion can be--and it illustrates how easily people can become brainwashed and are willing to die for a cause they believe in.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
28-04-2015, 01:30 PM
Never been in a cult ---- but I did buy my first Triumph motorcycle (71 Bonneville) from a whacko in San Francisco who was selling all his possessions and moving to Rajneeshpuram Oregon to "live with the Holy Father"...

The big kahuna in question was Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh - the head brainwasher with the collection of Rolls Royces -- who got kicked outta the US for a bioterror attack in the city of Dalles OR. (he plea bargained and was deported)

I met the guy with the motorcycle at the cult house in the Mission District -- and as I was waiting for him to get the title ---- I spotted a picture of the head banana..... I almost killed the deal when I asked where he got the picture of Cheech Marin.................

Worked out... $200 bucks - and rode the bike home...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
28-04-2015, 01:43 PM
(28-04-2015 12:56 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Has anyone ever meet anyone that has ever been in a Cult (outside the 12 Major religions)

I don't know what the major twelve are (the top four are Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism), but I think I can safely assume that Wicca doesn't make the short list. Hell, it doesn't even make the spell-check in my browser.

That being said, I had three or more friends in college who were Wiccan, my best friend being one of them. He explained some of the stuff to me, and I found it comical. Note that I was Christian at the time, so I'm not sure what that says about the believability of their claims.

I do remember thinking how formulaic and simple some of it was. For example: everything was supposed to be composed of the classic Greek elements (plus maybe a fifth one?). So, go figure that spicy things like onions and cinnamon contained "fire", because of course they would.

We used to play D&D together. They believed they could put "energies" into their dice that would make them roll better. Of course, we never ran controlled tests with un-energized dice to see if this actually worked. They claimed that if I touched the dice, it'd fuck it all up, so they got really fussy about that for a while. I should have told them that if it actually worked, it'd be considered cheating, because the purpose of the dice is to generate a random distribution of "fair" numbers, not to roll high.

Also, I remember them "casting spells". These spells were always very vague and poorly defined, and they didn't seem to have any ability to actually make their lives any better. It would seem that spending less money on fast food and video games and taking the time to study would have had a greater impact, but I guess I'm not Wiccan, so I don't get it.
28-04-2015, 02:26 PM
(28-04-2015 01:26 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 12:56 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  I am obsessed with debates regarding "God". Whether it be on the Street or a large Formal Debate. But after a while it becomes a little vanilla. So i figured I mix it up a bit.

No, just the christian cult. But I was watching a you tube video of Heaven's Gate--where the followers were being interviewed by another cult member before their mass suicide. How scary religion can be--and it illustrates how easily people can become brainwashed and are willing to die for a cause they believe in.

I remember seeing a documentary on T.V. after the Heaven's Gate cult killed themselves. It's chilling seeing the interviews of all the people and knowing their fates. They weren't bad people. Just delusional.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
28-04-2015, 02:28 PM
(28-04-2015 02:26 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 01:26 PM)jennybee Wrote:  No, just the christian cult. But I was watching a you tube video of Heaven's Gate--where the followers were being interviewed by another cult member before their mass suicide. How scary religion can be--and it illustrates how easily people can become brainwashed and are willing to die for a cause they believe in.

I remember seeing a documentary on T.V. after the Heaven's Gate cult killed themselves. It's chilling seeing the interviews of all the people and knowing their fates. They weren't bad people. Just delusional.

Yeah, I think that's the one on youtube now. I just remember thinking that their eyes looked so glazed over.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
28-04-2015, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2015 03:25 PM by Grasshopper.)
(28-04-2015 01:30 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Never been in a cult ---- but I did buy my first Triumph motorcycle (71 Bonneville) from a whacko in San Francisco who was selling all his possessions and moving to Rajneeshpuram Oregon to "live with the Holy Father"...

The big kahuna in question was Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh - the head brainwasher with the collection of Rolls Royces -- who got kicked outta the US for a bioterror attack in the city of Dalles OR. (he plea bargained and was deported)

I met the guy with the motorcycle at the cult house in the Mission District -- and as I was waiting for him to get the title ---- I spotted a picture of the head banana..... I almost killed the deal when I asked where he got the picture of Cheech Marin.................

Worked out... $200 bucks - and rode the bike home...

A friend of mine emailed me a youtube video once with a comment about how "beautiful" it was. It was a documentary about Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh. I watched it out of courtesy to her, but the whole time I was thinking this guy is either batshit crazy or a conman or both. There's nothing beautiful about it. But she (my friend) is a sucker for that kind of stuff.
28-04-2015, 02:41 PM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2015 02:47 PM by Commonsensei.)
(28-04-2015 01:43 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I don't know what the major twelve are (the top four are Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism), but I think I can safely assume that Wicca doesn't make the short list. Hell, it doesn't even make the spell-check in my browser.

Baha'i, Buddhism, Christianity, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Jainism, Judaism, Shinto, Sikhism, Taoism, and Zoroastrianism

(28-04-2015 01:43 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  That being said, I had three or more friends in college who were Wiccan, my best friend being one of them. He explained some of the stuff to me, and I found it comical. Note that I was Christian at the time, so I'm not sure what that says about the believability of their claims.

I have a similar story. When I was in High School I was friends with this girl that was Wiccan. One day after we had a huge thunderstorm i remember sitting in class and her tell our little band of friends.

Wiccan: "Did you see what i did yesterday?"

Me: "No."

Wiccan: "I made that thunderstorm."

Me: "You mean the one they've been talking about for the last week on the news?"

Wiccan: No, they didn't know about this. It was all me. Me and my sisters did a spell at it made the storm come.

Me: Ok. (I laughed at her)

Around this time I was learning in science class about cloud formations, and how we read weather patterns. Plus at the time i was Catholic so only thought God had control over such events. So he making a statement like that was just plan funny to me.

[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
28-04-2015, 03:11 PM
(28-04-2015 02:32 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  A friend of mine emailed me a youtube video once with a comment about how "beautiful" it was. It was a documentary about Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh. I watched it out of courtesty to her, but the whole time I was thinking this guy is either batshit crazy or a conman or both. There's nothing beautiful about it. But she (my friend) is a sucker for that kind of stuff.

I'd bet on "batshit crazy" --- but the guy did have great taste in cars.....

Too bad he dressed like a refugee from Woodstock that aged badly....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
28-04-2015, 03:21 PM
And how could I forget Synanon????

I first ran into some of the whackos there when I was in Radioman class A school....

Synanon was purportedly a drug/alcohol rehabilitation center - that ran amok and became a cult with only one oar in the water.....

They made people turn over all their material goods and forced them to live in barracks - where there was video and audio surveillance 24/7.

I seen some of the "trustee" types running around on little motorcycles - wearing orange robes and big helmets.... Weird...

They went completely out of control in the early 80's - attacking people with rattlesnakes in the mailbox -- and all sorts of weird shit.

I met a guy who'd lived adjacent to their property - and he rescued an escapee --- who was totally convinced that the cult would kill him. Good thing the guy had superior firepower. The cult "biker gang" (think nerds on vespas) showed up wanting their guy back - and this guy held them off with an AR-15.

The Pt Reyes Light -- a little local paper -- got a Pulitzer Prize for it's expose coverage of these freaks. You can Google it , and get the whole story.

I got to visit the compound a year or two after it was shut down by the Feds -- and abandoned..... Pretty spooky place. Cameras and microphones everywhere. All the barracks doors locked from the outside, rather than the inside.....