Crazy things your crazy aunt/uncle/brother/sister/generic relative told you lately

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2015, 07:17 PM
RE: Crazy things your crazy aunt/uncle/brother/sister/generic relative told you lately
(27-11-2015 07:16 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(27-11-2015 07:13 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Everyone is a fucking comedian

Yet not many are as funny as I am. Drinking Beverage

Well, I can't disagree with that

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2015, 07:23 PM
RE: Crazy things your crazy aunt/uncle/brother/sister/generic relative told you lately
Parents and uncle talking about some liberal satan conspiracy and a new world something-or-other. I dunno. I don't really pay attention to the fear noise of doom.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
27-11-2015, 07:43 PM
(27-11-2015 07:16 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(27-11-2015 07:13 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Everyone is a fucking comedian

Yet not many are as funny as I am. Drinking Beverage

That's the funniest thing you've ever said. Big Grin Clap

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-11-2015, 01:01 PM
(27-11-2015 04:06 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Why not celebrate post-Thanksgiving festivities with an outlet for telling us some of the outlandish BS your relations believe with respect to politics (or anything else for that matter)?

For the most part, my family is not right-leaning, and they seldom discuss politics at these get togethers.

(27-11-2015 04:06 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  My sister has posted some (let's say) interesting things on Facebook, and I finally decided I couldn't refrain from commenting any longer. And I discovered a whole lot of generic right wing propaganda, including (but not limited to):
1. refugees are terrorists
2. the vast majority of them are "fighting age men"
3. the refugees are coming to take our jobs
4. we can't help refugees if we don't first help veterans

This is pretty terrible. I'd be tempted to Poe-troll her. In fact, I think the next one of these I get in my FB feed, I'm going to Poe-troll.
  • Did you know that there are over three hundred million adult refugees trying to get into the US right now? The goal is to gain citizenship, then be able to vote in Sharia Law in all 50 states!
  • Did you know that ISIS has been breeding refugees for the past year to be immune to anthrax? They're planning on sending in a wave of refugees who are all carriers!
  • I heard ISIS militants were putting needles with AIDS in the coin dispensers of pay phones! Luckily, there are next to no more pay phones left. We dodged the bullet on that one.
  • ISIS is a liberal-backed distraction to keep us from paying attention to the gay agenda! Guard your assholes!
I imagine I could learn a lot about some people based on how they replied to any of those comments.
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
30-11-2015, 01:08 PM
(30-11-2015 01:01 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(27-11-2015 04:06 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Why not celebrate post-Thanksgiving festivities with an outlet for telling us some of the outlandish BS your relations believe with respect to politics (or anything else for that matter)?

For the most part, my family is not right-leaning, and they seldom discuss politics at these get togethers.

(27-11-2015 04:06 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  My sister has posted some (let's say) interesting things on Facebook, and I finally decided I couldn't refrain from commenting any longer. And I discovered a whole lot of generic right wing propaganda, including (but not limited to):
1. refugees are terrorists
2. the vast majority of them are "fighting age men"
3. the refugees are coming to take our jobs
4. we can't help refugees if we don't first help veterans

This is pretty terrible. I'd be tempted to Poe-troll her. In fact, I think the next one of these I get in my FB feed, I'm going to Poe-troll.
  • Did you know that there are over three hundred million adult refugees trying to get into the US right now? The goal is to gain citizenship, then be able to vote in Sharia Law in all 50 states!
  • Did you know that ISIS has been breeding refugees for the past year to be immune to anthrax? They're planning on sending in a wave of refugees who are all carriers!
  • I heard ISIS militants were putting needles with AIDS in the coin dispensers of pay phones! Luckily, there are next to no more pay phones left. We dodged the bullet on that one.
  • ISIS is a liberal-backed distraction to keep us from paying attention to the gay agenda! Guard your assholes!
I imagine I could learn a lot about some people based on how they replied to any of those comments.

This might be a better approach to dealing with them than trying to engage in serious conversation. Because trying to use facts and logic to debate what she was saying, wasn't met with similar rebuttals.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
30-11-2015, 05:04 PM
My mom tried to sell me on expensive Young Living essential oil miracle cures this morning. I had to really, really resist the urge to grab her by the shoulders and shake some sense into her.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
30-11-2015, 05:34 PM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2015 05:38 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
My aunt, who lives in Israel and is a self-described Zionist, shared this story.

Quote:We do aim [our rockets], but their God changes their path in mid-air,” a Hamas commander was said to have told someone who wondered why Gaza-based militants can’t seem to hit their targets.

It's pretty sad and hilarious. She's the most fanatical person in the family politically.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
30-11-2015, 05:44 PM
At thanksgiving, My brother-in-law used the 10 poison m&ms argument. (RE: refugees)

My mom said she doesn't mind god being on currency since it is just part of "tradition". Then I told her about how it was added in the 50s, to which she replied, "Oh, then they should take it out!"
Big Grin

Why this came up: We decided to take the isidewith test as a family. Don't ask me why.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
30-11-2015, 05:44 PM
(30-11-2015 05:04 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  My mom tried to sell me on expensive Young Living essential oil miracle cures this morning. I had to really, really resist the urge to grab her by the shoulders and shake some sense into her.

I love those essential oils. One of them smells good and relieves my backaches. Another just smells good and helps me go to sleep at night. There isn't anything miraculous about them however unless you think it's a miracle that some people would spend that much money on that stuff.
01-12-2015, 06:52 AM
(30-11-2015 05:44 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  At thanksgiving, My brother-in-law used the 10 poison m&ms argument. (RE: refugees)

My mom said she doesn't mind god being on currency since it is just part of "tradition". Then I told her about how it was added in the 50s, to which she replied, "Oh, then they should take it out!"
Big Grin

Why this came up: We decided to take the isidewith test as a family. Don't ask me why.

Not exactly true. It's only been on paper currency since the 50's. It's been on coins for over 150 years.

Back in my younger days I used to take a black marker and cover it up. Since debit cards became prevalent I no longer carry cash.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]