Create your own skeptical quotes.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
07-03-2015, 12:03 PM
RE: Create your own skeptical quotes.
Asking me to take any antiquated myth seriously is like asking me to believe that Harry Potter explains air flight.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2015, 04:19 PM
(07-03-2015 09:06 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(06-03-2015 06:32 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Christianity will probably one day be socially unacceptable, in the same way smoking, homophobia, sexism and high fructose corn syrup are on the nose in most modern communities today. The same thing will happen to Islam too.

I love the intent of this quote, but this fails to take into evolution. Our species gap filling is a flaw in human perceptions which leads humans to concoct such stories. This flaw is not going to go away in our species. It should not, for example, surprise anyone to see a future where Star Wars or Star Trek or Harry Potter, get turned into a religion because of some charismatic delusional nut. For the same reason L Ron Hubbard managed to start a new religion.

It is also why I don't like even atheists mimicking religion to compete with it by starting "atheist churches". The empathy of the moment because of minority status now, will not prevent a future of a group from turning a mere position into an abusive political entity. Even atheists need to understand that a label is not a moral code, and our behavior is in our species.

The important thing for our species is to promote skepticism without blind loyalty. Our species flawed perceptions are not going to go away. The best our species can do is put our common existence above our labels. Not even atheists should ever think they can set up a utopia perfect world. There is no such thing.

Yabut...Christianity is not going to completely disappear (unfortunately)...it will, probably, merely become socially unacceptable, as in not a nice topic to bring up around the dinner table when in polite company.
07-03-2015, 04:29 PM
Kids must be taught how, not always what, to think. If we don’t teach children how to think, preachers might teach them how not to, by getting them to pray to an imaginary sky buddy, which is a subtle form of child abuse.
07-03-2015, 04:31 PM
“Jesus lives…”
“Jesus saves…”
“Jesus loves you…”
“Jesus sacrificed himself for you…”
I say it’s not Jesus who’s been sacrificed, but decency and common sense.
07-03-2015, 04:50 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2015 06:07 PM by TheGulegon.)
"Wouldn't it have been a greater sacrifice for Jesus to have died & gone to hell, to be force-corn-holed, repeatedly, by the devil's pitch-fork-demon-trident, for all eternity, for our sins, instead of going to eternal, blissful heaven?" ~TheGulegon Shy

Find all posts by this user
07-03-2015, 05:48 PM
Once you realize god's a quack there's no going back.

Saying that there's a god is like saying that you have a 20 inch penis...It's shocking but I don't believe it. It can be offensive to others, your sanity becomes questionable and I don't really care.

"The only time it's ok to masturbate is when you invite the priest."

I can speak freely just like you have the freedom to stupidity.
[+] 3 users Like d4w6zBak's post
07-03-2015, 07:28 PM
In centuries past, the Vatican made a fortune trafficking indulgences; today they’re doing the same selling saints.
07-03-2015, 07:29 PM
It’s probable that in the future the Vatican will reverse their thinking about birth control, homosexuality, women priests, premarital sex, genetic engineering, and stem cell research in the same way they’ve flipped their opinions on other issues.
07-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Sitting in a church, or asking for help from a preacher, or praying, are usually surefire ways to not find real solutions to personal problems.
07-03-2015, 07:40 PM
(07-03-2015 12:01 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(07-03-2015 11:56 AM)Ace Wrote:  "religion that sticky thing where the motives and wishes of an all powerful ruler of existence always conveniently coincides with the personal agenda's/opinions/bigotry/personal preferences of his self proclaimed spokespersons who charges you high priced tickets to hear him spout gibberish" - me

"apologetic's, the art of displaying a straight face in the face of legitimate criticism through nothing but unwavering self inflicted delusions" - me

"my non-belief offends you ? please tell me about the offensive propaganda you don't proudly display everywhere threatening others with torture and damnation for not living the way you want" - me

"your prayers were answered ? then please pray to find out where the next 5 major earthquakes, floods, tsunami's, terrorist attacks will take place with the exact time, location and damage caused so lives can be saved" - me

I particularly liked the first two.

I liked the message but FFS, the punctuation's gone to shit in this thread!

(07-03-2015 10:42 AM)H4ym4n Wrote:  
(07-03-2015 03:53 AM)H4ym4n Wrote:  god, evolutions tasty antidepressant. - h4ym4n

[Image: comuniones_zpsoppg0bgt.png]

How many evolutions would that be, I wonder?

Drinking Beverage