Creation Museum...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2012, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2012 09:41 AM by cheapthrillseaker.)
Creation Museum...
Thankfully, for those around the world who don't think it's really worth spending all that time and money, Seth made this video:

Look out for lesson 7! Wink

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
26-10-2012, 09:46 PM
RE: Creation Museum...
Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

Epic video - disgusting establishment. The kind of place you leave in need of a hot shower.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-10-2012, 10:55 PM
I am rarely so torn, divided between what's right and I want to do instead.

On the one hand, this is pure crap. They smear a layer of science over this crap and serve it up as truth. Might as well smear a layer of honey over a turd and serve it up as dinner - at least the latter one would have more substance. I want to tear it down and spare the gullible mind from wandering into this crap-trap.

But, on the other hand, I respect the foundation of this country and the fact that even Ken Hamm has the freedom of speech and the right to free enterprise. He's allowed to say this crap and charge money to display this crap, and even this schmuck is entitled to this luxury in this country.

So be it.

The answer is counter-education. Help the savable be saved from the crap. Make sure science remains science and isn't replaced with this crap, particularly in the schools where it matters the most. As long as we stick up for what's right, as long as we counter-educate wherever and whenever possible, then Hamm will ultimately only be preaching to his choir (and they were already lost anyway).

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 4 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
01-11-2012, 12:33 PM
I've been to this museum two times. Once because a friend with an unhealthy interest in Creationism had a birthday and really wanted to go. The other time because I got free tickets from a college classmate who worked there. Both times were eye-opening and headache-inducing. It was one of the funniest places I've ever been. The "science" being presented is totally crazy. On the other hand, it is pretty amazing from an audio-visual standpoint.

Oh, and the dino they are standing by in the video preview image is the same one I am riding in my user picture.
01-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Funny to you.

But it's real to thousands of gullible, young, Christian kids who go there to learn "science". That's what's really sad, and that's what keeps me from finding it funny - I would be laughing my ass off at the sheer inanity of it except for the sobering reality of those gullible kids.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
01-11-2012, 01:33 PM
I'm not saying it isn't scary on a high level. But I figure I might as well have a good time while I still can.
[+] 1 user Likes Xerox's post
01-11-2012, 03:29 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2012 09:50 AM by ghostexorcist.)
I went there on a whim around 2009. This is before they had the extra stuff outside. My younger brother lived off the highway that passed by the establishment, so I decided to check it out on my way back. For starters, I had not shaved in a while and I was wearing some pretty ratty-looking "lounging around" clothes. I got some serious stares as I walked towards the building because everyone was dressed up in nice clothes--button up shirts, long dresses, combed hair, braided ponytails, etc. They probably thought I was homeless. I seriously had to stifle my laughter after viewing the many exhibits. The ones I remember the most were the animatronic statues of cavemen peacefully interacting with predator dinosaurs with huge knife-like teeth; the video positing the world flood was caused by a huge geyser of underground water being shot into the atmosphere by volcanic activity; the displays of fossils and educational pictures that proved macro-evolution was false because god created everything in its current form 6,000 years ago; and, most importantly, that one particular darkly lit alley plastered with photos and clippings shows the world would be nothing but starving African children, killer wolves, war, and homosexuals (the last bit not mentioned in the video) without god. I think I walked away from that place a few brain cells shorter than what I had when I walked in. It is definitely designed with children in mind.
01-11-2012, 03:46 PM
(01-11-2012 01:22 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Funny to you.

But it's real to thousands of gullible, young, Christian kids who go there to learn "science". That's what's really sad, and that's what keeps me from finding it funny - I would be laughing my ass off at the sheer inanity of it except for the sobering reality of those gullible kids.

We laugh to keep from crying.

But look at it this way -- those kids who enter to learn about creationism are already in an environment where they're learning that (at home and at church). I don't think the museum itself wins anybody over who wasn't already convinced. So while it does bolster confidence in believers that they have it right, and it further teaches kids armchair apologism, I don't think it's actually brainwashing anyone.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
02-11-2012, 12:20 PM
It is misusing and misrepresnting science. They may be learning it at home or private school already, but these clowns are reinforcing the pseudoscience. And with so much New Age and Paranormal crap out there parading as science, people are not learning how to distinguish good science from bad science from pseudoscience. AND THIS PLACE IS MAKING IT EVEN FUCKING WORSE BY PANDERING TO MILLIONS OF PEOPLE, ENCOURAGING THEM, AND MAKING BUCKETS OF CASH TO FEED THEIR BIASED, BULLSHIT, INACCURATE, PSUEDOSCIENTIFIC BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel a little better, but I still want to genetically modify a clutch of chickens to look like raptors and set them free on the "museum."

Evolve
02-11-2012, 01:09 PM
(01-11-2012 03:46 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(01-11-2012 01:22 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Funny to you.

We laugh to keep from crying.

But look at it this way -- those kids who enter to learn about creationism are already in an environment where they're learning that (at home and at church). I don't think the museum itself wins anybody over who wasn't already convinced. So while it does bolster confidence in believers that they have it right, and it further teaches kids armchair apologism, I don't think it's actually brainwashing anyone.
You've just given me a great idea!

In a couple of years, I'm going to take my son there. It will be a fantastic way to demonstrate how utterly wrong Creationism is, and reinforce the reasons why we don't proclaim answers BEFORE we ask the questions.

It will have to wait a little while, though. He's 4. I'm jumping up and down waiting for him to turn 5 so we can join the Museum of Science and Industry's Astronomy Club, and attend the telescope viewing party once a month.
[+] 3 users Like Seek_Kolinahr's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I heard there's two creation versions? smileXsmileXsmile 15 393 17-08-2014 07:35 AM
Last Post: jockmcdock
  Creation COSMOS. - Funny or Die, lol Bows and Arrows 13 611 07-05-2014 07:00 AM
Last Post: Bible Belt Brawler
  Evidence that prove creation,was originally said to never happen by creationist. Metazoa Zeke 14 328 07-03-2014 09:16 AM
Last Post: itsnotmeitsyou
  Creation scientists Richard Stuckmeyer 15 2,974 04-02-2014 06:34 PM
Last Post: Metazoa Zeke
  What percentage of these, from creation.com, are true? Age of Earth. DeavonReye 10 1,036 05-10-2013 12:23 PM
Last Post: DeavonReye
  The Institute for Creation Research Hitched_Gibson 6 307 05-08-2013 10:18 PM
Last Post: Hitched_Gibson
  Kentucky Creationist Museum Will Feature Dragons, Unicorns slydog 32 1,760 26-06-2013 07:24 AM
Last Post: pxlgirl