Creation Myths from Other Cultures

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2015, 01:18 PM
Creation Myths from Other Cultures
I am really interested in the creation myths from other cultures. I found this one site called bigmyth.com. Clearly, Adam and Eve and God have some competition for what "really" transpired at the beginning of time...

http://bigmyth.com/2_eng_myths.html

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
10-06-2015, 02:02 PM
RE: Creation Myths from Other Cultures
Hopi - US Southwest

http://www.gly.uga.edu/railsback/CS/CSFo...tions.html

Quote:The world at first was endless space in which existed only the Creator, Taiowa. This world had no time, no shape, and no life, except in the mind of the Creator. Eventually the infinite creator created the finite in Sotuknang, whom he called his nephew and whom he created as his agent to establish nine universes. Sotuknang gathered together matter from the endless space to make the nine solid worlds. Then the Creator instructed him to gather together the waters from the endless space and place them on these worlds to make land and sea. When Sotuknang had done that, the Creator instructed him to gather together air to make winds and breezes on these worlds.

The fourth act of creation with which the Creator charged Sotuknang was the creation of life. Sotuknang went to the world that was to first host life and there he created Spider Woman, and he gave her the power to create life. First Spider Woman took some earth and mixed it with saliva to make two beings. Over them she sang the Creation Song, and they came to life. She instructed one of them, Poqanghoya, to go across the earth and solidify it. She instructed the other, Palongawhoya, to send out sound to resonate through the earth, so that the earth vibrated with the energy of the Creator. Poqanghoya and Palongawhoya were despatched to the poles of the earth to keep it rotating.

Really, no stupider than the abrahamic bullshit we are constantly surrounded with.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
10-06-2015, 04:30 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2015 04:36 PM by TheStraightener.)
This is my favorite creation myth...

https://youtu.be/1UqKjxNJudE

It ticks all the boxes really...

Just says a higher power created the universe but gives no details and answers some questions we may not have known the answer to.
[+] 1 user Likes TheStraightener's post
10-06-2015, 04:50 PM
The Suicide Bomber Theory: God was so fucking bored in heaven that he strapped a bigass bomb to his chest and blew himself to bits. The rest is just shrapnel and flotsam and jetsam. "Clean up on aisle 4!"

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-06-2015, 05:17 PM
I prefer Family Guy's idea of the big bang: God was having an arm wrestling match with his roommate Chuggs and decided to light a fart.

Boom!
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
10-06-2015, 11:19 PM
Slavic creation myth.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
11-06-2015, 05:33 AM
Babylon's (where Genesis came from) :

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-06-2015, 06:40 AM
Norse myth about creation of the universe:

Norse myth about creation of the world:

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
11-06-2015, 01:22 PM
(10-06-2015 01:18 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I am really interested in the creation myths from other cultures. I found this one site called bigmyth.com. Clearly, Adam and Eve and God have some competition for what "really" transpired at the beginning of time...

http://bigmyth.com/2_eng_myths.html

Nothing has ever been created or destroyed.

The net electrical charge of the universe is neutral, there is a net zero energy in the universe, if there is no energy in the universe then there is no net matter because matter is energy.

Which means we are all just eddies in a vortex of emptiness.

Archi

"I love the term magic realism. It's about expanding how you see the world. I think we live in an age where we're just hammered to think this is what the world is. Everything's saying 'That's the world.' And it's not the world. The world is a million possible things." - TG

Salman Rushdie talks to Terry Gilliam
11-06-2015, 01:24 PM
(11-06-2015 01:22 PM)ArchibaldFunkdust Wrote:  Which means we are all just eddies in a vortex of emptiness.

You mean eddies in the space-time continuum.
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP