Creationism Assignment - Being accepting of religion or ruining education.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2014, 06:41 AM
Creationism Assignment - Being accepting of religion or ruining education.
So I wanted to get people's opinions on a choice my cousin's teacher made.

My cousins were all homeschooled for a time then my Aunt let them decide whether or not they would like to go to High School or not. I.E Whether they were going to need university for their career options. Needless to say they are Church of Christ and creationists. They live in New Zealand.

Well, my cousin did and ever since then argues with her biology teacher to no end. We've been hearing about it for some time - about how she is forced to endure her biology class because she wants to go into Physiology.

So apparently, her teacher has tried to subdue her many times, and she has caused class disturbances - and told her why evolution disproves creationism. My cousin of course does the Ken Ham and is like "the bible - the bible - the bible"

Anyway Evolution was to be the topic of a fairly important biology assignment for the end of the year - my cousin protested having to write about evolution and said it was against her beliefs etc - so the teacher/school decided let her write about creationism for the assignment because she was claiming it was discriminatory to make her do otherwise.

I feel this was wrong - it undermines the other kids doing real science for a start who have to use all the right words and concepts, where she could write about magic and not have to display any true understanding for the subject. I feel if she refused to do the assignment she should have failed. I don't know what she did in the exams -- because I doubt they changed them for her.

Do you think it was discriminatory for them if they made her do the evolution assignment? Because I don't how can you discriminate against something when one is science one is not and she is in a classroom?

If a student wants to opt out or be given an alternative, instead of failing, because of their belief on a science subject should they be given that option?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-02-2014, 06:56 AM
Re: Creationism Assignment - Being accepting of religion or ruining education.
So what if you don't believe it? The assignment doesn't indicate that you must believe something. Just that you understand the concept given, as basically any school test is.

Maybe it's the English major in me that sees that point as irrelevant though.

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
[+] 4 users Like ClydeLee's post
19-02-2014, 07:34 AM
RE: Creationism Assignment - Being accepting of religion or ruining education.
Consider me in the tough love camp.

Here's the course syllabus, the course materials. The tests and projects will be centered on the syllabus and materials.

Don't like it, drop the course or STFU.

If she wants to do a project on creationism, fine, the gist of it better be how creationism is wrong, or she receives a failing grade.

Maybe the teacher will just fail her in the end for no evidence. I hope so. Some lessons are learned the hard way.

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
[+] 6 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
19-02-2014, 05:14 PM
(19-02-2014 06:56 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  So what if you don't believe it? The assignment doesn't indicate that you must believe something. Just that you understand the concept given, as basically any school test is.

This. The teacher should tell her that she is taking a class, and she will be graded in her understanding on it. She should also be told to stop interrupting the class with "but the Bible says..." crap or she will be sent out for distracting the class.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
19-02-2014, 05:20 PM
(19-02-2014 07:34 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Consider me in the tough love camp.

B&A!?! So unlike you...I like it when you talk dirty! Ohmy Thumbsup

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
19-02-2014, 06:04 PM
(19-02-2014 05:20 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 07:34 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Consider me in the tough love camp.

B&A!?! So unlike you...I like it when you talk dirty! Ohmy Thumbsup

Funny, I never realized I don't type out all the f-bombs that I say IRL. Angel Big Grin

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
19-02-2014, 07:46 PM
It's not discriminatory to make someone do something that you're also making everyone else do. If anything, I'd think it'd be discrimination against the kids who are capable of using their brains.

Also, if she needs this class for her chosen career path, doesn't that mean she needs to know this stuff?
20-02-2014, 01:42 AM
She has all the right in the world to do something about creationism, at her own risk.

However, one of the pillars of academic writing is the citation of correct sources. The Bible doesn't qualify in that regard and pastor Billy-Bob's statement of "Evilution is the work of Satan! I didn't come from no monkey!!!" doesn't qualify as an expert interview.

Using academic methodology is another. Special pleading or leaps of faith aren't part of that.

So, in the end, she'll just fail miserably because she won't be able to provide any arguments that are acceptable by even the most basic academic standards.

McDonalds is always hiring...

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
[+] 2 users Like Thammuz's post
20-02-2014, 03:10 AM
(19-02-2014 06:41 AM)Wanderingcelt Wrote:  Do you think it was discriminatory for them if they made her do the evolution assignment? Because I don't how can you discriminate against something when one is science one is not and she is in a classroom?
I think it is a great idea that they let her write about the subject of creationism. However, her assignment should be assessed from a scientific perspective. e.g. If she says that species popped into existence then she needs to show scientifically how we know this. She would need to show scientifically why NZ had no mammals apart from a bat that could fly. And why, without the presence of rats, stoats, weasels, cats and dogs, why is it that birds with wings and feathers could not fly.
Why Australia was dominated by marsupials where-as all other continents are dominated by mammals.
If she points to the bible and says because this book tells me so, then she will lose points because that doesn't show that she understands the scientific method.
She won't lose marks because of her chosen topic, she will lose marks if she isn't able to approach it scientifically.

It might be a great exercise for her to discover why creationism isn't science.
20-02-2014, 04:03 AM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2014 04:07 AM by DLJ.)
Yup, I'm with St.Evil on this one.

She needs to unlearn before she can learn.

The indoctrination is strong in this one so she needs to do the umlearning herself by attempting to justify her claims.

Just telling her that she is wrong ain't gonna do it.

This indeed might be the teacher / school's intent.