Creationism Assignment - Being accepting of religion or ruining education.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2014, 04:22 AM
RE: Creationism Assignment - Being accepting of religion or ruining education.
(19-02-2014 06:41 AM)Wanderingcelt Wrote:  Well, my cousin did and ever since then argues with her biology teacher to no end. We've been hearing about it for some time - about how she is forced to endure her biology class because she wants to go into Physiology.

No offense, but I don't want someone that is so adamantly unscientific being at all involved in a scientific field outside of being a test subject.

[Image: qce9oP7.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2014, 06:54 AM
That's the proverbial slippery slope. There are dozens of creation myths, and once you open that door, every whacko would have a precedent to hang his hat on. Science can't be argued by students on faith grounds. No one forces anyone to believe in science, and students can simply give the answers expected by the teachers, and then move on, or the next step would be a different view in history classes, and that is a can of worms nobody wants to open.

The real gospel: Jesus went rogue and preached love instead of genocide. God got angry and went old testament style on Jesus's ass, setting him up to be tortured and killed. The End.
20-02-2014, 07:02 AM
(20-02-2014 04:22 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 06:41 AM)Wanderingcelt Wrote:  Well, my cousin did and ever since then argues with her biology teacher to no end. We've been hearing about it for some time - about how she is forced to endure her biology class because she wants to go into Physiology.

No offense, but I don't want someone that is so adamantly unscientific being at all involved in a scientific field outside of being a test subject.

Laughat
That is kind of what I wanted to say to her when she told me but I really couldn't be bothered getting into that kind of discussion.

People have made some really good points. I will have to find out how it all went down ultimately - as she has finished her school year (it ended in December) - to be honest this was how the story came from her mouth, so I don't know if she was openly honest about the teacher's intent with the assignment - but she seemed to feel like she had dealt some blow to... I am not sure what - but something.

She has mentioned she may not have enough credits to get into Physiology and despite how I feel, about how adamant she is about her creationist view point (similar to you evolutionkills) - it would be a bummer that her career options have to be stunted by something like creationism.

To me personally, I see it as her indoctrination making quite a valid and negative impact on her life.

One might say this would this will be a chance for her to learn what happens when you are unscientific, but I know that the last thing she is likely to blame is her anti-evolution stance or a poor biology grade, because her direct family's viewpoint is you can't believe in God creating and evolution, they haven't made the compromise other sects or individuals have made.
20-02-2014, 07:18 AM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2014 09:10 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(20-02-2014 07:02 AM)Wanderingcelt Wrote:  She has mentioned she may not have enough credits to get into Physiology and despite how I feel, about how adamant she is about her creationist view point (similar to you evolutionkills) - it would be a bummer that her career options have to be stunted by something like creationism.

I hate to say it, but the harsh reality is this; when someone doesn't meet the qualifications they shouldn't be allowed to pursue or be employed in that field. I don't want people that buy into homeopathy, psychic healing, or the power of prayer, becoming doctors. Some can and do, and they scare the ever living shit our of me. Creationists have no place in science, and it will better for everyone involved if those holding onto those viewpoints and who are unable to move beyond them in light of the scientific method and evidence; are simply kept out of those fields lest they cause people real harm with their ignorance and flawed thinking. Dr. Oz might be a decent heart surgeon, but he's such a shill for the bullshit health supplement and homeopathy industries that I'd never let him operate on me or anyone else I know. He's either genuinely that delusional, or he's knowingly lying to his audience for personal gain; either way he's a detriment to his profession.

[Image: qce9oP7.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post