Creationism / Evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2015, 01:46 PM
RE: Creationism / Evolution
(29-03-2015 01:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  Thinking and consciousness are not on/off.

Hell, not even my own consciousness is on/off. To prove it all you need is ten vodka martinis.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2015, 03:09 PM
Here's a video from potholer54 that debunks the lie of Carbon 14 not being accurate.

Kent Hovind is the usual suspect that spreads this nonsense, he loves to point out how Carbon 14 doesn't work when measurements are not made in the way it's supposed to be used. It's not useful for marine animals or things greater than 50,000 years old. of course it doesn't work if you try to date 65 million year old dinosaur fossils, that is way out of range for this method. There are a host of radiometric dating methods that yield good results if they are properly utilized. Clowns like Hovind love to cite examples of where inappropriate methods are used to date things, then he'll loudly proclaim how it can't be used to date things. This is where the dishonesty of creationists really stands out. Hovind is about to get out of jail this year, maybe he'll stop with this lying he does, but I doubt it.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
30-03-2015, 07:13 AM
(29-03-2015 10:08 AM)Esquilax Wrote:  Why is it that those who disagree with evolution never seem to actually understand it, or resort to these strawmen rather than address it? Is it even possible to disagree with evolution while simultaneously knowing what it is?

That is a very interesting question.

It seems to me that one can have a pretty good understanding of evolution and cling to the idea that a god pokes his finger in now and again. One big problem with that, of course, is that there is no evidence that that happens.

However, once evolution is truly understood and its implications appreciated, there can be an emotional rejection of it because the conclusions include the fact that our existence is massively contingent. We are just another organism.

All of the deniers who have ever posted here are ignorant of the what evolutionary theory actually is. They seem to dimly glimpse the implications and refuse to look at evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-03-2015, 08:06 AM
I agree, I've never talked to anyone who understands evolution and rejects it.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-03-2015, 12:47 PM
The creationist don't have a theory. And they have no details.

Evolution has a well documented falsifiable theory and mountains of evidence from a wide range of things, all come together and support the same story. They didn't know about DNA in Darwin's day but once DNA was discovered and analysed it was found to support evolution. Continental shift supports evolution, that's why Australia had marsupials and the rest of the world didn't have so many marsupials. It's why NZ's only mammals were flying bats. All the stories line up nicely.

With creationists it always, "We don't know why and we don't know how, but halleluya, God did it."
The creationist science doesn't develop a picture supporting creationism, all they do is try to pick holes in science or in evolution so that a person desperate to clutch a straw of hope for creationism can think just maybe creation might be true.
[+] 3 users Like Stevil's post
05-04-2015, 03:52 PM
(30-03-2015 08:06 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I agree, I've never talked to anyone who understands evolution and rejects it.
My mama's not a pokemon, you Satanist!

Dodgy