Poll: Do you think these supposed BBC statistics are accurate?
I think they sound correct
I'm not sure but leaning towards yes
I have no idea
I'm not sure but leaning towards no
They sound like complete bullshit
[Show Results]

Creationism In Britain

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2011, 10:53 AM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2011 12:39 PM by Hughsie.)
Creationism In Britain
I've been browsing Conservapedia, having a good laugh and I came across their article on Evolution. According to this article, less than 50% of Britons believe in Evolution and more than 40% believe that Intelligent Design should be taught in school science lessons. They claim the statistics are from a BBC report.

So Tazmin, bemore, FSM_scot and all you other British forum members (and anyone else who has any opinion on this for that matter), what do you think? I for one do not believe that those statistics are accurate, I also don't believe they are something that the BBC would broadcast.

What are your opinions?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
17-11-2011, 01:33 PM
RE: Creationism In Britain
I do believe that the British Bullshit Corporation is Bias but reminding myself to keep an open mind I did a bit of delving.

Firstly I checked conservapedia on wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservapedia

I wasnt surprised when I read this Cool

Quote:Conservapedia has received negative reactions from the mainstream media, as well as from various figures from both ends of the political spectrum, including commentators and journalists, and has been criticized for bias and inaccuracies

Then I read the evolution article down to the part where it mentions the BBC.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4648598.stm

Reading the article I noted that they had only asked 2,000 people....so for them to put this as a source is just ridiculous (much like the whole website)

They probably did the poll honestly........but I imagine they did it on a sunday outside of a church Big Grin

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 3 users Like bemore's post
17-11-2011, 02:05 PM
(17-11-2011 01:33 PM)bemore Wrote:  They probably did the poll honestly........but I imagine they did it on a sunday outside of a church Big Grin

And had it conducted by people dressed as priests Big Grin.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
17-11-2011, 02:53 PM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2011 02:57 PM by kim.)
They might be true statistics, that is not to say they are accurate.

They may have cherry picked their stats from several BBC reports whose polling groups were conservative or fundamentalist or primary parochial school children, for that matter.

The accuracy of a statistic can be easily obscured or even twisted to bring whatever positive or negative outcome is desired.

Dodgy I'm not naming names, but we know who is well practiced in that technique ... just saying.

I think the questions to ask would be, who took these statistics and why-to what end?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
17-11-2011, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2011 03:14 PM by tazmin98.)
Conservapedia is an English-language wiki project written from a self-described American conservative Christian point of view
I smell bullshit! Almost 20% British people are atheists. But then again it could be higher since some atheists also consider themselves Agnostic, Buddhist or hold other related philosophical beliefs because some may use other term to describe their identity.

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes tazmin98's post
17-11-2011, 05:09 PM
This issue I'm Britain from my experience is from lack of interest, laziness, ignorance, and just plain stupidity in the British public.

I had a convocation with two of the girls that I share a house with. I love these girls they are none stop fun. Listening to there convocations is comedy gold (example: one of them said "we have skin so our blood doesn't fall out.") They however only appose any science if it seems to them counter intuitive. For instance they objected to evolution with the common standing of "well why aren't monkeys evolving into humans today? Like in a zoo why doesn't one day a gorilla give birth to a human?" Once I picked my jaw up off the floor and stopped laughing I explained to them evolution (where the education system had failed them) from the ground up and now they fully accept evolution with the words "oh yes that makes sense now". I had the same experience when they asked about atheism after explaining it too them they didn't convert but just said "Yeah I suppose if I was into science and philosophy like you I'd think that way. I'm just not into it." So they admitted to be agnostic (after explaining what it meant.)

My experience with creationism is far more scary. In my secondary school they had and hear they still do have a great science department. However, one of these teachers in a Jehova's Witness. He was the one tasked to teach us evolution whipping through it in half a lesson and then the rest professing his own theory that these fossils that they found maybe fossilised animals that we know today but with deformities such of that of the elephant man.

Even at 15 I laughed so hard he was going to throw me out. My father is a massive science fan and from a very early age I had a great understanding of evolution I came back with such things as looking into the genome, carbon dating, the massive fossil record of thousand of fossils that are identical not what he termed "freaks". He through me out of the class for "undermining his authority" which I successfully complained to the board of governors at our school about and he was no longer permitted to teach us clear falsehoods about evolution.

The religious department at the school was populated by creationist evangelicals that are very nice people. In fact me and one of the teachers there are became, and still are, good friends. They, after my complaint, had to do a tap dance around the issue saying "now what I believe is..." or "the evolutionary theory is contrary to what I think" and then start a polemic against it I at the time I allowed them to do it as what they were in fact doing is reenforcing, the students that were listening, critical thinking because in one class they were taught one thing in the other they were taught that it was false they had too look at the evidence and come to there own conclusion.

Please read my Blog
"A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence"
- David Hume
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes BCollingwood's post
17-11-2011, 06:32 PM
My bullshit detector just went off. Creationists are known for making shit up especially statistics to make their thinking seem correct.

To this day I have met one creationist. I know many religious people who accept evolution but only one has said it was a lie and her reason for it was "I don't want to be descended from monkeys" before doing the fingers in the ears lalala im not listening shit creationists do.

Can someone post the actual link to the BBC poll?.
Considering the amount of nature shows they produce many about evolution (pick any random David Attenborough show) It's unlikely the BBC would be pandering to creationists by publishing that kind of poll.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
18-11-2011, 03:04 PM
(17-11-2011 05:09 PM)BCollingwood Wrote:  This issue I'm Britain from my experience is from lack of interest, laziness, ignorance, and just plain stupidity in the British public.

I had a convocation with two of the girls that I share a house with. I love these girls they are none stop fun. Listening to there convocations is comedy gold (example: one of them said "we have skin so our blood doesn't fall out.") They however only appose any science if it seems to them counter intuitive. For instance they objected to evolution with the common standing of "well why aren't monkeys evolving into humans today? Like in a zoo why doesn't one day a gorilla give birth to a human?" Once I picked my jaw up off the floor and stopped laughing I explained to them evolution (where the education system had failed them) from the ground up and now they fully accept evolution with the words "oh yes that makes sense now". I had the same experience when they asked about atheism after explaining it too them they didn't convert but just said "Yeah I suppose if I was into science and philosophy like you I'd think that way. I'm just not into it." So they admitted to be agnostic (after explaining what it meant.)

My experience with creationism is far more scary. In my secondary school they had and hear they still do have a great science department. However, one of these teachers in a Jehova's Witness. He was the one tasked to teach us evolution whipping through it in half a lesson and then the rest professing his own theory that these fossils that they found maybe fossilised animals that we know today but with deformities such of that of the elephant man.

Even at 15 I laughed so hard he was going to throw me out. My father is a massive science fan and from a very early age I had a great understanding of evolution I came back with such things as looking into the genome, carbon dating, the massive fossil record of thousand of fossils that are identical not what he termed "freaks". He through me out of the class for "undermining his authority" which I successfully complained to the board of governors at our school about and he was no longer permitted to teach us clear falsehoods about evolution.

The religious department at the school was populated by creationist evangelicals that are very nice people. In fact me and one of the teachers there are became, and still are, good friends. They, after my complaint, had to do a tap dance around the issue saying "now what I believe is..." or "the evolutionary theory is contrary to what I think" and then start a polemic against it I at the time I allowed them to do it as what they were in fact doing is reenforcing, the students that were listening, critical thinking because in one class they were taught one thing in the other they were taught that it was false they had too look at the evidence and come to there own conclusion.
Most of my RE teachers are pretty neutral. Non of them are really religious people or reinforce their beliefs . More like agnostic. My RE teacher is pretty mellow. I got a 6b in my assessment for Capital Punishment. We are learning about animal rights and what are the religious view on them.

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]