Poll: I want a Creationism forum for topics young earth creationism, evolution, big bang, etc.
This poll is closed.
Yes 73.33% 11 73.33%
No 26.67% 4 26.67%
Total 15 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Creationism - New Forum
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2011, 12:18 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2011 12:28 AM by DeepThought.)
RE: Creationism - New Forum
(30-04-2011 05:44 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I don't mind adding a forum, just as long as there's no expectations of moving threads around a whole bunch. Fact is, discussions evolve, and I've always disliked the idea of "hijacking" a thread. If discussion wavers away from a topic, then so be it. I'd hate to think we are attempting to contain theists to a certain section of the forum.

This is definitely something to consider. I'm a bit in 2 minds about it. I'm thinking moving inactive threads for the purpose of categorizing should be ok - fairly harmless. Splitting threads/moving posts is something that would need special circumstances.

Though I think the name of the forum might be a factor in that concern. I saw a post in world news where the original poster hadn't signed in for a month. It was a 'US Government did 911' thread. I moved it to the skepticism/conspiracy theory section because I thought fits in there better. I wouldn't have done it if the original poster was still active since it might have offended the original poster.

With an Atheism/Theism forum and a Creation forum I think it's much more neutral and moving things on the whole thread level is purely to make things easier and clearer for our users.

(30-04-2011 05:44 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  So keep up the suggestions, but always try to keep in the back of your minds that this forum is, and will remain open for everyone to post wherever they like.

Agreed, in our forum everyone should be welcome to post on any topic though if a thread clearly belongs in another category I think it's ok to move the thread (no editing involved.) - While taking what I wrote above into account as well!

If I do move a thread I would generally use the option and leaves a link in the old forum showing "Moved: {Thread Name}" with a 7 day expiry. This will give people time to know the new location of the thread if they were expecting it in the old forum.

Does anyone else have anything to add on moving/not-moving threads?
Find all posts by this user
01-05-2011, 01:24 AM
I'm fine with the way it is now. 'Science' covers evolution, big bang cosmology etc.. and you earth creationism can be discussed in 'atheism/theism' or we can jump over to evolution fairytale forum.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
01-05-2011, 02:43 AM
(30-04-2011 05:11 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  
(30-04-2011 04:57 PM)The_observer Wrote:  Blush well...Blush
Maybe I was a bit overprotective when I voted no... Confused
Afraid that we might attract figures like "ron"
Valid point. Part of the problem with Creationists is that they tend to be a little bit hard to deal with. But I would feel a lot better with a creationist/evolution forum, because if/when they come, then we can keep them contained in there(hopefully).
IMO
A "self moderate" forum with a "no ban" policy only works when the users are intelligent and open minded enough to accept different viewpoints. Others might become a complete pain in the ass with no other option then to just ignore them. Fine if I's just one. A nightmare if its 5 or 6 or so...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
01-05-2011, 03:25 AM
(01-05-2011 02:43 AM)The_observer Wrote:  IMO
A "self moderate" forum with a "no ban" policy only works when the users are intelligent and open minded enough to accept different viewpoints. Others might become a complete pain in the ass with no other option then to just ignore them. Fine if I's just one. A nightmare if its 5 or 6 or so...

True, and there are other options that could be used. Rather than banning in cases where someone posts excessively and in a disruptive manner there could be temporary account restrictions put in place.

i.e. 2 posts/day or 1 new thread/day max for a period of time. I could make the system automated. MyBB already had some of the functionality needed to do this sort of thing.

Down the track this sort of thing could happen no matter what we do. We'll have to figure out options and how to handle it eventually.
01-05-2011, 05:45 AM
(01-05-2011 03:25 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  Down the track this sort of thing could happen no matter what we do. We'll have to figure out options and how to handle it eventually.
valid point

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
03-05-2011, 05:20 AM
(30-04-2011 04:57 PM)The_observer Wrote:  Afraid that we might attract figures like "ron"
Remind me to keep my big mouth shut next time...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Thread Closed