Creationism and evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2010, 02:30 AM

Creationism and evolution
I often hear of Christians who believe in an all powerful god and who also support the theory of evolution. These 'fence sitters' believe that although the basic lifeforms were created by an all powerful god, this god also designed the process of evolution. I'm interested in how well the two are able to co-exist and your opinions on the matter.
Smile
I'm sorry if this has been addressed in a previous thread, as I am very new to the forum and haven't had a chance to explore some of the older threads.
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2010, 07:29 AM

RE: Creationism and evolution
They don't. Some people are too reasonable to deny evolution but still want to cling to their upbringing and the other set of ideas they hold dear. They attempt to reconcile when their is no chance for reconciliation.
07-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Can Creationism and Evolution co-exist? No.
Creationism is based on rejecting evolution and
believing that humanity, life, the Earth, and the
universe were created by a supernatural being.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2010, 04:58 PM
The question of -
1. "Can creationism co-exist with evolution?" Absolutely not, as Mindprowler said so well.
2. "Can the christian god co-exist with evolution?" Not if stories in the bible are taken as factual. TruthAddict phrased it well.
3. "Can any god co-exist with evolution?" Only if the god created the universe according to the laws, dynamics and well supported theories that we are able to see and test and prove, such as the laws of physics, quantum physics, evolution etc. This eliminates all the gods that I know of with the exeption of god being the fabric of the universe such as the "unified field" that makes up the universe. To me this looks like a "last ditch effort" to have a believable god. That being said, at least the last ditch effort does not contradict or challenge the knowledges and theories of science. I can accept this as the only way that a person can believe in a god and accept evolution and science at the same time. I myself don't accept it as a god, just as the universe.
07-11-2010, 09:55 PM
A basic question.

Why would a God who creates man as either worthy of Salvation or not wait the Billions of years required for his subjects to emerge from the evolutionary process when he could just create them with a flick of the wrist?

It doesn't make god very efficient.
07-11-2010, 10:20 PM

(07-11-2010 09:55 PM)Godless Wrote:  A basic question.

Why would a God who creates man as either worthy of Salvation or not wait the Billions of years required for his subjects to emerge from the evolutionary process when he could just create them with a flick of the wrist?

It doesn't make god very efficient.
I would posit God has already proven himself not very efficient, when omniscient omnipotence created sinful humans, and then judged them for living up to his expectations.
07-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Maybe god enjoys twiddling his thumbs for billions of years.
08-11-2010, 10:34 AM

Before becoming an atheist, I was a theistic evolutionist. This was just another step in the process of becoming an atheist. I think people who are open-minded enough to research evolution and science will eventually come to this conclusion. It didn't take me long.

Be patient with these guys, since they're probably on the road to atheism.
09-11-2010, 01:57 AM
Maybe just a few more interesting discussions about evolution, not in a promating way, but in a babble over coffee type conversation and presto, one new atheist. Maybe.
09-11-2010, 06:10 AM

(08-11-2010 10:34 AM)athnostic Wrote:  Before becoming an atheist, I was a theistic evolutionist. This was just another step in the process of becoming an atheist. I think people who are open-minded enough to research evolution and science will eventually come to this conclusion. It didn't take me long.

Be patient with these guys, since they're probably on the road to atheism.

Good point! I agree. A deity controlling evolution is a compromise that allows one to hang on to long-cherished beliefs in the face of overwhelming scientific evidence to the contrary. And it conveniently fills in any scientific gaps ...

This is indeed a mile marker on the road to a fully rational approach to such topics, and I believe it applies to many people I know who are "moderate" believers. They've already determined that a lot of the stuff in the sacred texts is in direct opposition to established scientific understanding, so they feel they must accept the latter but haven't yet taken the final steps.